collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 08 raffle moose tag hunt  (Read 21242 times)

Offline BLKBEARKLR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Taxidermist
Re: 08 raffle moose tag hunt
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 08:44:25 PM »
A cliff

All of us running up and jumping off.

More story please

Joe
22 years 3 months and 4 days, happily retired from the U.S Army.

Offline TrkyBob53

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 08:53:49 PM »
I will send more story, but I am doing it in word and saving it.  I type slow and read even slower.  Also I am trying to figur out how to downsize my photos.  Am going out to get a photo bucket.  Hope it dont have holes in it.
It's not always as it seems

Offline BLKBEARKLR

• Frontiersman
  • Taxidermist
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 09:04:28 PM »
TrkyBob

If you run into any problems with the pics PM and I can talk you through it.

If you look on your computer under programs and if you have Paint then you can downsize them pretty quick with two pushes of your mouse.

Joe
22 years 3 months and 4 days, happily retired from the U.S Army.

Offline WAPITIHUNTER

• Sourdough
  • Wapiti are food and so are elk!
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 09:05:16 PM »
 :drool: :whoo: :drool: :whoo: Cant wait to hear the rest. Keep it coming man we are all living our hunting dreams through you now.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 09:05:32 PM »
Glad to see you are getting the story up here Steve :tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 09:07:39 PM »
Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Offline TrkyBob53

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 09:45:10 PM »
I am trying to do this from memory.  Im 55 and I cant remember what the first thing that goes is. But I will think about it.  When I started this I should have started In May when all the permit apps were due.  Jim and I are partnering on deer and elk.  I blew all my elk points a few years back on a very bad choice of a muzzy tag.  Jim has a bunch of elk points and I have a bunch of deer points.  We put in for what I thought would have been good draws for both.  I also put in for Multi-Season deer and elk.  I cant remember exactly, but I think about the first of Aug I got a notification that I drew a multiseason deer tag.  What to do?  Nope not going to buy it, We will be drawn for a special hunt.  The next week, I get a letter in the mail that I drew the Multi-season Elk tag.  Nope.  Not going to buy it.  We will get drawn for a really good big bull tag.  The drawing results came out.  Should have bought that MS deer tag.  Should have bought that MS elk tag.  We struck out on both draws.  Only good thing my oldest son Ryan drew a Big Bull Archery tag.  Thats another story.  I was bummed out for me and Jim but told Ryan I would help him with his bull.  Then Wildlife called with news that made me shake.  MOOSE RAFFLE WINNER.

Offline PacificNWhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 08:26:20 AM »
another moose story...YES! Keep it coming

Offline Wea300mag

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 05:27:10 PM »
This could take a week or more at this pace. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the moose though. :tup:
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the skyline

Offline TrkyBob53

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 06:23:15 PM »
shoulnt take more than two or three weeks to tell the whole thing.  just having issues on getting my pics from photo bucket to here

catwithboost

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 06:27:18 PM »
You can just keep emailing them top me and I will post them till you get it figured out. :dunno:

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 06:32:41 PM »
or forget photobucket and post them the way I showed you the other night :dunno:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline TrkyBob53

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 06:44:50 PM »
tried to post them that way but my pics are too big.  They are all bout 2.1mb. off of my camera.  That other one was off the trail cam

Offline TrkyBob53

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2009, 07:19:45 PM »
This is a test pic from from my first trip.  Hope it works. Its Jim showing me how big one should be.

Offline TrkyBob53

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 07:26:31 PM »
Time for round 2.  6 hr drive,300 miles.  With all my feelers out have got word that the moose are starting to rut.  Good deal.  Up on the mountain bright and early.  Cant see a lot.  Not cause its dark, its soooooo foggy you cant see 50yds.  Jim and I walk out a logging road. We stop every 100yds of so and I try my best grunt call.  Nothing happens.  I think I need to work on it.  Another 100yds.  I grunt.  Nothing.  What the heck I’ll try again.  Practice makes perfect. Nothing.  Try cow calling.  Sound like a sick something or other.  Nothing.  We stand there for a few minutes, decide to keep on walking.  Take a few steps and I see something.  Holy _ _ _ _.  It’s a moose.  A Bull.  I cow or grunt, cant remember whitch.  Still coming.  About 60 yds and headed our way.  Fog is lifting a little.  Oh crap.  Hes about 24” wide.  We just let him walk off.  I was pumped though.  I think Jim was also.  Keep calling and listening.  No go.  Tooooo foggy.  We got off the mountain and headed down.  In the afternoon we decided to go up on the hill that we had seen the cow and calf at daylight.  On the first trip up there 2-3 weeks ago, a friend of ours was on the hill the day after we saw the cow and calf and saw a 50” laying next to the road. Hot tip.  So up Jim and I go.  Its kind of cloudy, but no fog.  We  walk and call and nothing.  Now the wind is starting to blow.  Reallllllllly black clouds coming.  Its starts to drizzle.  Then rain.  Then KABOOM!!!!!  About ¼ of a mile from the truck I would guess.  In the truck we go.  FLASH/BANG.  That one was close.  Time to beat feat off the mountain.  It all stopped before we got off the hill.  Have some pics of rainbows.  No pics of Moose.  HOSED AGAIN.

Next morning we leave the far north country and head south.  So far I have hunted 3GMUS and saw for moose.  Lets try for 4 and 4.  Takes us a few hours to get to civilization.  Newport that is. Find a motel, check in, dump the trailer, and up another mountain.  More driving.  Jim drives the most, bless his sole.  Jim finds a rutting pit next to a road.  Put this in the memory bank for later.  Drive, walk,  grunt, cow call the rest of the day.  Nothing.  Should have bought more calling videos.  Might not make me call any better, but it would make me feel good.  By days end, it was clear, sunny, and warm.  No I think it was hot.  To the hotel for cocktails, shower. and food.  Up early next am.  In the area of the rutting pit,  we stop and go up the hill.  I grunt, and cow call.  Maybe an hr.  Nothing.  Back to the truck.  Coffee cup filled, make a plan to go further up the road.  About ¼ mile up the road, Jim stops.  Moose Moose, get your gun.  This isn’t nice, but I said Dude, I am going to look first before I get my gun.  I get out, there he is 50yds from the road.  50” id say.  Only double brows.  I want one with triples.  I really give him a hard lookover.  7 on one side 8 on the other.  One thing that I really noticed was that his points on the paddles were just bumps.  I wanted something with tine length.  I grunted at him a few times and he walked off.  That was it. No more moose on this trip.  Total driving, somewhere around1200. Moose count, 2 bulls.  I feel the weather hosed me again Home we go.

These are some pics of before and then after the huge thunder and lightning storm

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal