collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cage material question  (Read 3305 times)

Offline jlahoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Cage material question
« on: March 30, 2018, 06:34:50 PM »
Is there any use in traps for 2"×4" welded wire?  Building my dog an area to run and im gonna have some left over.  Figured if I can use it for trapping I will, if not I can use it in my garden.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
Re: Cage material question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:45:04 PM »
IMO not much. Early on I made a few cat cages with it and I did catch a few cats but the stuff is pretty poor. An animal can easily get their mouth over a wire and broken welds result. Lot of labor to make a cage. Might as well make one that lasts a while. 
Bruce Vandervort

Offline jlahoe

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 09:16:57 PM »
Thanks Bruce.  I didnt think much could be done with it but I figured I would ask. 

Offline paultanninen

• blacktailhunter2018
  • Tracker
  • hunting is my middle name
  • Groups: paultanninen
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 07:56:13 AM »
we use 2 inch by 4 inch hog fencing to make beaver and otter traps. they are easy to make. i have a design that i am interested in trying. it is a colony beaver and otter trap made out of this stuff, it is 1 foot tall by 1 foot wide by 4 feet long. Is this a good idea. The hog fencing holds the fur
You know your hunt went well when you had a shot that was unethical and you never took it, even if you never got your bull.

Elk: I live it, hunt it, and eat it

Offline flyfishWA

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 04:09:58 PM »
we use 2 inch by 4 inch hog fencing to make beaver and otter traps. they are easy to make. i have a design that i am interested in trying. it is a colony beaver and otter trap made out of this stuff, it is 1 foot tall by 1 foot wide by 4 feet long. Is this a good idea. The hog fencing holds the fur
the same fencing probably wouldn't work so good on an animal that wasn't under the water.
"speak softly and carry a big stick" Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 06:31:36 PM »
So are you talking about the hog panels? Would you know what gauge it is? I've seen some posts where guys made traps like you describe. Apparently guys catch beaver in them. Not so sure about otter. If they could break the welds on the wire and open it up to 4x4 an otter would get out. Plus you'll lose every rat and mink goes in it.
I'm cheap as can be. I tried using left over junk I had with the first cages I built. I have decided my time is valuable enough to use it working on good material. Nothing wrong with experimenting but you can do a lot of work and not end up with much in the end.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline paultanninen

• blacktailhunter2018
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 07:49:15 AM »
never had an otter escape, we have yet to catch a bobcat in one, though. we did catch a mink in one but that one was under the door, pinched
You know your hunt went well when you had a shot that was unethical and you never took it, even if you never got your bull.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 07:57:08 AM »
I'd never go smaller than 1"x2".  First because I appreciate the structural benefit of it,  second because I don't want the traps to break down, and third because I don't want to lose rats and mink.  Had a huge colony trap that I built of 2"x2" and had a good number of rats get stuck at the hips.  Tough to extract!

Beavers have enough time to really put the hurt on a trap smaller than 18" square when underwater. 

I made a few cat traps out of 2"x4" but it was the galvanized sheep fence made of like 3/16" steel.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline paultanninen

• blacktailhunter2018
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 08:07:32 AM »
if you're after skrats and mink, then by all means use the 1" by 2" stuff, that is what we used until we discovered the true joys of using hog panels.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 08:22:09 AM »

A swimthrough?  Pretty proven design.  :tup:  I personally prefer 14x14 but I think that's only because I trap with them in deeper spots.

Probably could go down to 10x10 as long as blocking and dive sticks were well done.  I've got one 18x18 that I have a hard time keeping beaver out of  :chuckle: but when in shallow water, a trench must be dug

Offline paultanninen

• blacktailhunter2018
  • Tracker
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 08:24:03 AM »
well, 10" by 10" is the size of a 330 conibear, those hold beaver, so the 12" by 12" is a good idea?

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 10:34:00 AM »
10x10s seem to work fine. It just depends what the depth of your water is on average. I found it to be a lot of trouble to dig out channels to the deeper depth needed if you have a lot of shallow runs. Seems to me different areas have different average water depths in channels so I can see a lot of variation of opinion as to the proper size trap depending on where you are.
I have often set my 11x17s tall way up as swimthroughs on deep channels. I've also stacked them but I believe two side by side to be better if that is want it takes to fill a large ditch.
Another thing I noticed on the east side some places the blocking sticks are hard to come by. The odd scraps of wire left over from building traps can be pretty handy to funnel stuff into your trap, especially so used on top of your trap. Good dive sticks are very important over the top but if you don't have them a couple small sticks with a scrap of cage wire over the top will keep stuff from climbing over your traps.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 10:50:29 AM »
If one was determined to use 2x4 fencing (not panels) I imagine the heavier gauge (I think it was 11 or 12) that was wrapped at the joints not welded, would serve for a longer time period.

All this has me excited for winter

Offline paultanninen

• blacktailhunter2018
  • Tracker
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 07:55:21 AM »
i'm bored and wanna go trapping now

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Proud holder of 110 Zardos points!
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 09:07:00 PM »
To the hog panel colony trap idea it has been done. Works well Clint Locklear of predator control group and wolfernation has a YouTube video where he caught a beaver and otter with it. But his trap was 6 feet long super heavy and combersome to pack. He also built another one with clear doors and caught otter with it. I also remember someone on trapperman using hog panels and triggered non spring assisted doors as beaver traps and he swore by them

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]