collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Coyote AR build help  (Read 3013 times)

Offline huntsman_trev

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Coyote AR build help
« on: March 30, 2018, 06:58:06 PM »
Not sure if this should be in the weapons section of the forum or not, but it does have to do with 'yotes specifically. Last year I was invited to shoot with some other young adults my age some Olympic style .22's and AR's out to 600 yards with iron sights. Not bragging, it was a huge target, but it was so much fun. I built myself an AR and have only shot it a few times. I have always been drawn to shooting at longer distances and getting the tightest groups I could get. Most of my gun is Palmeto State Armory stuff along with magpul buttstock and rear sight. I am wondering if I should ditch the 16 inch barrel with the standard AR style FBS and hand gaurd and go with a longer, maybe better quality barrel that would help me with accuracy. My questions is what barrel manufacturer, length, price point would you suggest a college student get. I am also looking for a better trigger, bipod and scope.

This is my AR at the moment.
https://gyazo.com/76367076dabbb726356b7c4d210c3e22
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 07:10:29 PM by huntsman_trev »

Offline superdown

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Coyote AR build help
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:16:58 PM »
I have a POF 3.5lb trigger a Rise armament r140 3.5lb and a JMT saber 3.5-4lb I like the POF the best followed by the Rise and then the JMT they are all good drop in triggers in the lower price range so very affordable. I would recommend a 18-20in barrel for hunting purposes.Check out Bear Creek Arsenal for a barrel you don't need to spend a arm and a leg for a accurate barrel.I would go with a wylde chamber and a 1-8 twist.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 08:52:44 PM »
Krieger. They have ar15 ready barrels. Not cheap but definitely a barrel that will perform incredibly well. My buddies and I have Krieger barrels on custom bolt guns and they are shooters! You definitely get what you pay for out of a barrel! for 600 yards or further I would go 1:7-1:8 twist so you can push a heavier and higher bc bullet. https://direct.kriegerbarrels.com/collections/ar-15

Offline Jerry malbeck

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 11:23:17 AM »
First of all your 16 inch barrel is perfect for coyotes.Why you say,Light easy to pack all day from stand to stand.Swings fast, Plenty accurate out to 300 yrds if you do your part. now for the meat and potatoes of Coyote calling. There will be very few times you will have to shoot at a coyote over 300 yrds unless you totally suck at calling and setting up a stand.If you cannot call a coyote into less then 300 yrds  your doing something wrong and need to get this calling think figured out.Most of my Coyotes are shot at 70 yrds or less.Triggers , I prefer a two stage. Why you say,Well when your calling a coyote into a stand as he is coming in it allows you to SET the trigger and be ready for a super light trigger pull when said coyote is stopped by you with a bark,a whistle whatever. I use a Jewell trigger.I would recommend free floating your upper (more accurate). Keep in mind this is my opinion, This is what has worked for me for over twenty years of Coyote calling.Scope recommendations 3x9 or less.No red dots or CQ, 1x5 is a good choice due to large field of view on moving targets BUT when you want to zoom up to look at something you think might be a coyote sitting out there you will find it lacking in power. Good luck young man and welcome to the addiction.   
Love many
Trust few
Wrong None

Offline Jerry malbeck

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 11:28:07 AM »
Forgot to add I shoot a 1-9 twist with 52 gr. hollow points. Your existing barrel is probably just fine accuracy wise if you free float it and it will shoot M.O.A. at 100 yrds I would run it. 
Love many
Trust few
Wrong None

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 01:21:36 PM »
I shoot a 20 inch ER Shaw in 1-7

I’d focus on what jerry said. Unlesss you’re just wanting to build a new one, the way it currently sits will do.

Offline huntsman_trev

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 09:45:43 PM »
Forgot to add I shoot a 1-9 twist with 52 gr. hollow points. Your existing barrel is probably just fine accuracy wise if you free float it and it will shoot M.O.A. at 100 yrds I would run it.
Do you suggest a free float barrel or two stage trigger?

Offline Jerry malbeck

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 09:17:02 PM »
If your shooting M.O.A. at 100 yrds with what ya got your good to go.Dont go spending a ton of money until you KNOW this is going to be something your going to do a lot.I have seen a large number of people spend a ton of money getting all set up for calling coyotes to just end up losing interest when things did not come together for them right away. Calling coyotes is something you have to have a passion for, you have to live it,breath it, dream it and love it or you will end up quitting the game.There is one heck of a learning curve and it does not come easy. Save your money for gas and time of to travel to find good areas.This is the BEST thing i can tell you to do right now. Go with what ya got, Change only what needs to be changed ( for accuracy) then use your money to spend time in the field calling coyotes .     
Love many
Trust few
Wrong None

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 01:27:02 PM »
Great advice!!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Proud holder of 110 Zardos points!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 09:19:27 AM »
So as far as a ar coyote gun we are all in agreement 1/8 twist or close, hollow points, short to mid length barrel, aftermarket trigger of your likeing are the baselines. Easily done for very cheap correct? Cause we just outline my shopping cart items for my next build  :chuckle:

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 05:24:40 PM »
If your shooting M.O.A. at 100 yrds with what ya got your good to go.Dont go spending a ton of money until you KNOW this is going to be something your going to do a lot.I have seen a large number of people spend a ton of money getting all set up for calling coyotes to just end up losing interest when things did not come together for them right away. Calling coyotes is something you have to have a passion for, you have to live it,breath it, dream it and love it or you will end up quitting the game.There is one heck of a learning curve and it does not come easy. Save your money for gas and time of to travel to find good areas.This is the BEST thing i can tell you to do right now. Go with what ya got, Change only what needs to be changed ( for accuracy) then use your money to spend time in the field calling coyotes .     

I killed more coyotes with a old 243 788 Remington and a $39.99 Bushnell scope than with any other firearm I owned. I had the "bug" for hunting them and spent hundreds of hours a year hunting them. Great advice..
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]