collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Snipe Natures Little Dynamo  (Read 2095 times)

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
Snipe Natures Little Dynamo
« on: May 14, 2019, 01:19:24 PM »
I have learned to never underestimate Waterfowl even when it comes in a small package.
Some of my most memorable hunts have been for Blue and Green Winged Teal, a real challenge for the young hunter.
But by far my most challenging Duck Hunt in memory involved all my shells and The Wilson's Snipe.

Scientists have discovered that this unassuming brown wader can fly nearly 4,000 miles in three days without making a single break for food or water.
And despite their ungainly appearance, the creatures make their epic migration journeys at speeds of up to 60 mph.

Back in the 1960's the Department of Game used to release large groups of Chinese Pheasant on selected Farmland in Western Washington. One such Release Site was located on Smith Brothers Farm in Kent Washington, it had a creek running down the middle of some muddy cornfields and through a couple of Beaver Ponds. The Hunters would have all the Pheasants cleaned out just after Sunrise and the local Ducks were spooked early enough for me to head out after Snipe, (that no one else seemed to care about hunting.)
If you have never hunted Snipe, you'll soon find they are as much fun as chasing Morning Doves but with a literal twist to their flight plan.
 Instead of flying straight in and out of the field, they will bob and weave, up and down, many times returning only a few yards, to where you originally kicked them up.
A real challenge for a 14 year old, packing his "hand me down" Winchester 20 Gauge Single Shot Shotgun and his pockets full of a weeks allowance worth of #8 Shot Shells .  ;)
Doug
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:53:55 PM by AL WORRELLS KID »
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline SuperX

• Longhunter
Re: Snipe Natures Little Dynamo
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 01:33:20 PM »
I used to love to hunt snipe when I was old enough to drive out to the marshes!  They were great eating if you didn't mind shooting a gunny sack full to serve 1 person :) 

I really love teal, the breasts are like a great filet mignon, and provided me one of my most amazing experiences shooting... I got 5 in one shot on the wing out on Skagit bay.  Lucky we just set up so no over the limit issues, but man that was cool to watch the whole group cross into my pattern and then come raining down!

Thanks for the memories

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 01:37:41 PM »
Nice shot,  SuperX!
 Snipe Hunting can be fun, even for the Scientists taking samples back in the 1950's.  :chuckle:  :dunno:
Doug
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline SuperX

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 01:38:52 PM »
I wonder the look on that guy's face when a big old slush pumper ends up in his net!   LOL

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]