collapse
For all your AR 500 steel target needs and competitive shooting events! FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $99.00!

Author Topic: 338 375 ruger build  (Read 2082 times)

Offline jasnt

• Predator hunter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: WSTA
Re: 338 375 ruger build
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2018, 10:32:16 AM »
If I had a Pre-Fit barrel chambered in 338 RCM would it be possible to chamber it to the 338/375 Ruger?
🐾
Round ct. 299
"... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes."
Charles R. Swindoll

Offline yorketransport

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • I'm sorry, it's my fault I'll try harder next time
    • https://www.facebook.com/scapegoatenterprises/
    • Scapegoat Enterprises
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2018, 02:23:02 PM »
If I had a Pre-Fit barrel chambered in 338 RCM would it be possible to chamber it to the 338/375 Ruger?

Yes, it's a pretty easy rechamber job. I've hand reamed the chambers on 2 separate 338 Win Mag barrels with excellent results. It would take anybody with a lathe less than 1 hour to rechamber it for you.
Scapegoat Enterprises Custom Shirts and Decals

Offline jasnt

• Predator hunter
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2018, 06:47:55 PM »

Yes, it's a pretty easy rechamber job. I've hand reamed the chambers on 2 separate 338 Win Mag barrels with excellent results. It would take anybody with a lathe less than 1 hour to rechamber it for you.
was that hand reamed with SS or crome mollie
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:35:51 PM by jasnt »
🐾
Round ct. 299
"... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes."
Charles R. Swindoll

Offline yorketransport

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
    • Scapegoat Enterprises
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2018, 05:13:47 PM »

was that hand reamed with SS or crome mollie

One of each. First one was a C/M barrel from Adams & Bennett and the second was a SS Savage factory take off barrel. I don't remember noticing a difference between the two.

Offline jasnt

• Predator hunter
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2018, 05:36:17 PM »
Could you explain how you hand ream?  Iím picturing using a T handle from a tap set.

I need to get my lathe back together. It wouldnít handle chambering a barrel I donít think but would handle a custom die set or break.   
🐾
Round ct. 299
Charles R. Swindoll

Offline yorketransport

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
    • Scapegoat Enterprises
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2018, 08:22:09 PM »
Could you explain how you hand ream?  Iím picturing using a T handle from a tap set.

I need to get my lathe back together. It wouldnít handle chambering a barrel I donít think but would handle a custom die set or break.

That's exactly how I do it, with a T handle. I just lock the barrel vertically in a bench vise with a set of barrel blocks and go for it. I have to stand on a step stool (because I'm short :rolleyes:) so that I can apply even downward pressure while turning the T handle. I treat a reamer like a chainsaw; don't force it, just let the blades do their job while you give a little gentle pressure.  Go slow, use plenty of cutting oil, clean the chips often and measure often. On a Savage barrel I ream the chamber until a Go-gauge projects .125-.130".

If you started with something like a 338 RCM it would be really easy. You'd be cutting for a while but the reamer would naturally center itself in the chamber since the shoulder dimensions are identical. All you're doing is lengthening the chamber. Rechambering a 338 Win Mag barrel is faster since you're not removing as much material, but you have to be more careful to keep the reamer centered in the chamber until the pilot reaches the bore.

Once the chamber is cut, I'll lengthen the throat using a PTG Uni-throater to match the OAL that I want to use. I used a different freebore on the rifles since they needed to feed from a magazine. On my 338/375 Ruger Striker pistol I use a longer freebore since it's a single shot. Using the throating tool is great practice for hand reaming a chamber since it helps you get a feel for how quickly you remove material.

* Recent Topics

Cougars by buckcanyonlodge
[Today at 10:10:25 PM]

Lion attack in North bend? by CAMPMEAT
[Today at 10:03:05 PM]

Catfishing the almighty palouse river by AL WORRELLS KID
[Today at 09:54:13 PM]

Bobcat skull (The Shed Taxidermy Studio) by blindluck
[Today at 09:34:24 PM]

Bowtech assasin by Funkadunk7
[Today at 09:13:34 PM]