collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Huckleberry DNR land  (Read 1829 times)

Offline colersu22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Huckleberry DNR land
« on: April 02, 2018, 05:40:24 AM »
I have a couple spots marked on my onxmaps for the huckleberry unit for spring bear but have never been in the unit.  I know all the DNR land I hunt on the west side is gated and you can’t drive the roads but where I hunt elk in 328 is DNR and has green dot/red dot roads.  Are the roads on DNR in the huckleberry unit open to drive up?  If not I’ll just hike but I was more concerned with camping over there.  I am leaving Friday after work and won’t get to Springdale until about 9pm and have to set up camp.

Thanks,

Chris

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Huckleberry DNR land
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 05:59:45 AM »
Lots of open roads. No green dot system. Obviously if it’s gated you can’t drive. Will be a lot of snow up high still. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Online baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 06:17:52 AM »
Still pretty snowy and wet up higher where a lot of the dnr ground is.  If you don't know where you're going you might be wise to stay over in the Hunters campground your first night and go up over Hunters-Springdale road early Saturday.   Only about a 1/2 hour drive and you'll be sure to have a secure dry camping area. A lot of the roads to access dnr ground are gated as they are surrounded by private ground, but with a little searching you can usually find a way in (but not in every case)

Offline colersu22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 03:53:40 PM »
Still pretty snowy and wet up higher where a lot of the dnr ground is.  If you don't know where you're going you might be wise to stay over in the Hunters campground your first night and go up over Hunters-Springdale road early Saturday.   Only about a 1/2 hour drive and you'll be sure to have a secure dry camping area. A lot of the roads to access dnr ground are gated as they are surrounded by private ground, but with a little searching you can usually find a way in (but not in every case)

Thanks for the tip on hunters campground.  With it being so early still I was planning on checking out the DNR land north and south of hunters-springdale road.  I have a couple spots marked that looked good on google earth and it looked like the elevation was 2200-2600 in the spots I marked.  I was going to hunt the northern part of the unit once the snow started melting end of May/early June.  I am just excited to get out and explore a new area.

I was looking at the hunters campground and it looks like they only have 3 sites, is that correct?  I pulled up hunters campground on lake Roosevelt and figured that is the one you are talking about.

I normally backpack in for hunts but I cant get a full week off right now so I plan on making a trip over every other weekend until I tag out so I have no problem parking at a gate and staying up on the hill.  I might just sleep under the truck Friday night when we get over there if I cant find a spot off the road to pitch a tent.

Thanks,

Chris

Online baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 04:31:30 PM »
I’ve never actually paid attention but Hunters campground has at least 20 spots and is never full this time of year. It’s really a nice campground. You can go up Hwy 25 another 10 miles or so to the Gifford campground and it also has at least 20 or more spots. Snow is pretty much gone down by the lake and it’s also a lot warmer.  Lot of ticks this time of year, don’t forget to spray down

Offline colersu22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 11:08:10 AM »
Thanks and I’ll check it out when I get over there Friday night.  Luckily thanks to hunt Wa I read other threads about ticks so I sprayed all my hunting clothes with permethrin last weekend so I should be good to go.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]