collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help me pick out some new hunting gear  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Ajj828

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Help me pick out some new hunting gear
« on: April 04, 2018, 03:41:44 PM »
So I want to start getting ready for next season so I am starting to keep my eyes open for any hunting deals I can find during the off season. The main items I am looking for are....

Pack frame. I’m thinking about the f1 mainframe because the price doesn’t seem too high. I have a cabelas back pack that I could strap onto the frame for storage. I’ve been thinking of just taking a hit and buying a kuiu icon bag with a frame but I’m not sure if it’s worth it. I have college tuition to pay lol.

Boots. These are 100% must for me to buy. I’m looking at danner pronghorns. I’ve heard about the cabelas meindl too. I’m willing to spend a decent amount of money on boots because I’ve gotten shin splints 2 seasons in a row wearing cheap Georgia boots.

Pants. Currently I have cabelas rain suede paints which I ripped really bad on my bike while hunting last season. I made them work for the season but I didn’t really like them that much. I prefer a tapered fit toward my ankles not a bootcut. I’d love a pair of Sitka but are there any other pants out there that are tapered at the ankle for a cheaper price?  Waterproof is a must for me.

These are the main things I need for next season so if anybody has any suggestions on these items or other alternatives I’d appreciate it a lot.

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Help me pick out some new hunting gear
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 04:01:13 PM »
What season and conditions? It seems trendy to bash on Danner now but I still wear em with no complaints. The Grouse and Acadia models have done me well for many years of west side hunting.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 04:09:02 PM »
What season and conditions? It seems trendy to bash on Danner now but I still wear em with no complaints. The Grouse and Acadia models have done me well for many years of west side hunting.

I have had danner's with no issue. I currently run Irish Setters and like them as an all around early to mid season boot.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »
I wear Rocky S2V for mild weather, stupid grippy on rocks, snow, ice and stuff, but they feel like a running shoe.  If I'm putting on miles on easy to moderate terrain I'll put those on.  They are disposable boots good for 1-2 seasons at most.  I wear them out quickly, but new ones are fun.

Hot weather I'm using Under armor speed freaks, I don't recommend, I hate UA cooperate and I don't much like these hiking/hunting boots either.  My toes tend to slide forward in the shoe and bunch up at the end making them hurt on long descents.

What I need is a stiffer boot for the rocks with lateral ankle support, when I'm on the rocky ridge lines looking for muley's or cats my ankles can get trashed.  I also trashed my ankles bad chasing birds in the Pomeroy WA area.  Ouch! I was going up and down those rocky cracks along the river and just trashed my feet/ankles constantly rolling them over in the nasty.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 05:12:04 PM »
I wouldn't spend a nickel on a pair of Danner Pronghorns. Too many stories of leaks. I'm not interested in taking that kind of risk.

What I need is a stiffer boot for the rocks with lateral ankle support, when I'm on the rocky ridge lines looking for muley's or cats my ankles can get trashed.  I also trashed my ankles bad chasing birds in the Pomeroy WA area.  Ouch! I was going up and down those rocky cracks along the river and just trashed my feet/ankles constantly rolling them over in the nasty.
You should be looking at the mountain hunting boots. Kenetreks, Crispi, Lowa, some of the Meindl's. I'm sure there are more. I've spent a bunch of time in the hills around Pomeroy. Boots/feet/ankles were never an issue in good boots. I've been wearing the same pair of Meindl Perfect Hunters for 5+ years and I think they're worn out but they're not horrible. I'd keep wearing them this year if I have to. Currently sort of in the market for a new pair.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 05:46:15 PM »
Another fan of Meindl's.  I've had a pair for 4 years and they are still solid as a rock.  I had a pair of Danner Proghorns for 1 year and they were trashed.  Also, try on any Kennetreks before you buy them.  They are not as wide as they advertise.  If you have wide feet, you'll be sorry.  Check Camofire.com for pack frames.  I check that site daily.  Great deals.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 05:47:28 PM »
For boots like jackelope said. Had two pairs of Danner work boots fail at less than 6 months and I’m not the only one.  If you don’t want to spend a ton look at the Lowa Renegades or watch Sierra Trading post. They have great deals on boots around the 150- 250 range. Buddy has the Meindls and they fit his feet good. My feet did not like them at all. If you want less support check out Salomon 4d or other hiking boots. And try gaiter they make a difference in my opinion.

As far as pack, get what you can afford/want. You will find out there is no perfect pack, but there are some that excell in different areas. Try and grab one used as this will save some cash. The kuiu, mystery ranch, stone glacier, exo mountain gear, kifaru, wilderness, and bullpack will all git it done. So will cheaper ones but you have to decide what creature comforts you want.

As far as pants gaiters will help the damage to the lower legs. I personally run kuiu alpine pants year round with layers underneath. As far as waterproof goes, those kind of pants are going to be heavy and a lot hotter. Cabela’s would be my choice on a budget but if you want waterproof and light weight you are going to have to spend more because of material cost. Not sure of the hunting you want to do but sound is also a give and take game. Waterproof pants are usually more loud due to the layers and materials so keep that in mind.

Offline Ajj828

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 06:18:01 PM »

Well the problem is I’m going to attend wsu pullman so I will have to hunt on the east side this year. Normally I hunt in the cascades and it’s raining every single day of hunting season. I’m not familiar with east side weather. After college I’m not sure where I will be living so that is why I’m thinking of just getting waterproof gear to be safe.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 06:26:22 PM »
dry, rocky and hilly. 

It's tough country if you're hunting the breaks around the rivers and getting into the rocks, it's fun though.   I caught monster trout out of a stream that you could step across but was 6-8 feet deep.  Was weird fishing in such a narrow cut.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 06:36:33 PM »
Another vote for Meindle boots, I love mine. Whatever you go with be sure to try them on. People have different feet so what’s comfortable for me might not be for you.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 06:47:13 PM »
Give Zamberlan's a look for boots as well.  Mine have lasted well for years.   REI carries their 996 Vioz GTX models, and those work well for all conditions.  If nothing else it's a good option to try it on in person if you plan on ordering one of the hunting models online.  The taller hunting specific models are available on their website.   Some decent sales discounts right now on the website for the 1006 RR Backcountry hunter boot and a few others, depending on your size.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 07:05:32 PM »
I’ve had both good and bad experience with Danner.  Im on pair 2of the pronghorns with no issues. First pair was replaced due to my buddies dog takin a liking to them.  I’ve worn their work boots for years and love the fit and feel but they just don’t last.
As said, check campfire for deals on just about everything.  Great site for good deals.  Dvor and “hunt of the day” are good ones too.

Online Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 08:35:57 PM »
As much as I hate the stores full of Libs REI has a good boot selection.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 10:36:32 PM »
Danner pronghorn = crap
Danner grouse hunters are by far my favorite mountain boot
I wear gators everyday in the woods they save your pants and boot tops
Pants = pnuma best hunting coats and pants out there and lifetime guaranteed 100%

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 06:29:39 AM »
There are good Danners and bad Danners.  They sent a lot of their manufacturing offshore, but they still have some Made in USA boots.  I know the Rainforest is still domestic.

I've got a pair of Meindls and they've been great for 3 years now.  I figure I have another 2-3 seasons left in them.  I've heard great things about Kennetrek and Lowa as well.  I would recommend you go to a store and try on as many different boots as you have time for.  It will give you an idea of what you like and don't like. 

For pack, Kuiu's are decent.  I just bought an Exo last year that I love.  It seems like most of the back country folks will basically put Kifaru, Exo, Stone Glacier around the top of the pack.  I have tried Kifaru and Exo and I definitely agree they're awesome.  Next down would be Kuiu, Outdoorsmans, and Mystery Ranch.  From there it's kind of a tossup.  There are used packs for sale on here and Rokslide all the time.  TONS of guys buy packs, use them for a season, then sell them and find something else.  I was in the same boat you were a few years ago and I was super tempted to buy a pack frame to strap my daypack to.  So glad I held out for something better.

For clothing.... Fathers Day is coming up.  Save up some $$$ and plan to buy it around then.  All of the big box stores will have sales and usually Kuiu and a few others will as well. 

The reality is that you can hunt with wet feet and a sore back, but it sucks.  If you have the dough, pony up and buy good gear.  You'll never regret it.  If you don't, get what is necessary to still get in the woods this year.  I hunted with my ruck sack that I brought home from the Army for years.  Good luck this season! :tup:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:45:28 AM by ctwiggs1 »

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 06:38:12 AM »
Ive never had a pair of Danners that I loved and I wear them almost everyday for work. Bought pronghorns years ago and they sucked for hunting so I turned them into wood cutting boots. I bought a pair of Meindle's 7 years ago and have not looked back. Heck they are barley broken in. Also love my Salomon's. Most comfortable out of the box boots I've had. They see a few hunting days but mostly pre season hiking.

As for pants there are so many options, a lot of it is personal preference. I've went away from camo "hunting" pants and have been really happy with using rock climbing/ mountaineering type pants. Like you I prefer a better fit and a lot of hunting pants are baggy.

Offline BeWitty

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 06:43:38 AM »
I’ve had decent luck with 3 pairs of Pronghorns. But the last couple seasons I have worn gaiters almost every day and switched to a 6” Asolo boot and they are so much better. Got them in Sierra Trading Post for about $130.

Pants- go with Eddie Bauer Guide Pro pants. They are water repellant and very comfortable. You can get them for about $45-50.

I’m not a fan of the F1 frame. I currently have and love my EXO but if you are on a budget Kelty makes a good ext frame/bag combo for the money. Probably about $150 at Sportsmans warehouse.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:23:34 AM by BeWitty »

Online birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 08:04:15 AM »
Kenetrek mountain extreme boots

the Cabelas pants replace or upgrade to KUIU or Sitka.

pack mystery ranch or eberleestock

not cheap but long life stuff
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Ajj828

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 02:11:33 PM »
dry, rocky and hilly. 

It's tough country if you're hunting the breaks around the rivers and getting into the rocks, it's fun though.   I caught monster trout out of a stream that you could step across but was 6-8 feet deep.  Was weird fishing in such a narrow cut.

I keep reading about the “breaks” but what exactly are they? I know there is public ground along the snake river in small sections owned by the Corp of engineers. I guess my question is “why is it called the breaks” . Would it be a good idea to use a boat to access different pieces of land?

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 07:29:12 PM »
I would not touch the Danners. Too many other much better boots. I had two pairs of Danners split while mile deep while hunting.
Merrell, Asolo, and all the others already suggested.

If you must have waterproof pants, I can't help you. I have yet to find a pair of "waterproof" pants I could wear for more the 20 ft of hiking without swimming in sweat.
I would not even think about Sitka or Kuiu or any other of the ridiculously high priced hunting pants.

Look to the Hiking pants if you want quality without the high price. I run two pairs of camo (don't care if they are camo or not) Columbia pants that have held up awesomely for 5 years, and I got them for $20 a pair at their year end sale, normally $60.
Go with fleece for moderate weather and good wool for frigid temps. I have not needed m wool in Washington in years. I usually hunt with a Columbia wicking t-shirt under a fleece coat. Same with base layer, only wear my Polartec to bed at night in the tent, LOL.
Use real rain gear when you are in a downpour and not trying do any actual foot hunting.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:36:47 PM by Alchase »
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 03:38:03 PM »
First things first- boots take priority. Save if needed, but buy quality. I grew up hunting units 139/142 (palouse) and hunt the cascades alot now to. Im super picky with boots and have tried alot of highend boots. Every person has different needs, but I have not had anything as nice as Crispi. I prefer the Nevada and my feet never get wet. Kenetrek was a distant 2nd for me.
Pack next- dont buy junk to save. If need be, just get a used/old internal backpacking pack and put your meat in dry bags until you have enough for a kifaru, EXO or Stone glacier.
Pants- if you can do Sitka, firsrlite, kuiu etc.. that grear, but not nessasary. A pair of brearhable solids will be great. I like prana zion stretch and black diamond.
Hard shell- since it sounds like you will be on the palouse, don't sacrifice boot budget here. Check out heli hansen impertech to get you by.  Then save up for some technical stuff. I love the sitka cloudburst, but firstlite and kuiu has great stuff too. If you can find some arcteryx stuff at a good price that will work. There is waterproof raingear and there is breathable rain gear. You cant have both. I always use gators too. Lots of good ones. I use black diamond gor-tex

The river breaks are the steep hills and deep draws going down to the water.  Mostly private in both 139/142. Better get onx and start working on permission. We have tresspassers every year and call the sherrif or officer king w/ WDFW.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 04:05:55 PM by T-Dozzer »

Offline thinkingman

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 07:03:38 PM »
I’ve had both good and bad experience with Danner.  Im on pair 2of the pronghorns with no issues. First pair was replaced due to my buddies dog takin a liking to them.  I’ve worn their work boots for years and love the fit and feel but they just don’t last.
As said, check campfire for deals on just about everything.  Great site for good deals.  Dvor and “hunt of the day” are good ones too.
My Pronghorns split the soles way before the uppers wore out.
Danner  knew they were a problem and gave me a 30 percent off coupon for a full-price pair.
Thanks a lot.
I bought the Eastridge? USA boot. Fits at least a half size larger than Pronghorn.
I’ll wear them until they wear out then no more Danner.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull