collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2017 Blacktail  (Read 5228 times)

Offline Tikka Bird Dog

• birddog
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Seattle Childrens Cancer Research, Wounded Warrior Project
Re: 2017 Blacktail
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 06:15:51 AM »
I remember when that was posted, what an old war veteran! That old timber buck must have one hell of a history. From the field pics you posted of that guy he looked super old. Did the taxidermist ever say what he thought that buck aged out at. I'd guess at least 10 1/2.... Anyway congrats, I don't care what anybody says, an old blacky like that is the toughest one to get, just my opinion.
Never mind, I just looked at your original post again, I think that deer was 12 1/2  :chuckle: what a stud

I did. It get the buck aged unfortunately, when I remembered and called the taxidermist the skull had already been disposed of.  I’d say with confidence over 10 years old. Garth said he thinks that’s the oldest deer he’s ever mounted. I do agree with you on the old bucks, the ultimate trophy for me is old, heavy horned and big body. He’ll probanly be the high water mark for quite some time for me

that will be the high water mark for sure. that truly is a once in a lifetime type buck. I grew up hunting blacktails with a lot of older loggers, family and friends all of whom have been hunting blacktails for their whole life. each person I know that has spent their entire life chasing them has one.... just one true, old, knarly, big heavy buck on the wall. lots and lots of "good" mature deer, but only one. that's why that buck is truly a once in a lifetime deer. way to go!!!

Offline skagitsteel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/ryan.gaither.908
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 08:27:25 AM »
The mount is superb! I sure appreciate you taking time to share the story and the video. It really gets the blood racing through my veins just thinking about it.

thanks! the edited, narrated story of 2017 hunt will prob be done in a month or so.

Offline O. hemionus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 08:20:41 PM »
Don't worry too much about losing the jaw bones and not being able to age it. Aging jaw bones is really inaccurate after the deer is about 3.5 years old. Even then, studies have shown decent variation in tooth wear with deer younger than 3.5 years (especially between geographic areas and diets), as well as the ability of trained tooth-agers to identify deer age from jaw bones of known-aged deer. Old is old, and yours looks to be a really old boy! Awesome buck!

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 08:28:57 PM »
Great buck!   :tup:
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Bomber52