collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ford 6.2 gasser vs 6.7 diesel  (Read 10782 times)

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
Re: Ford 6.2 gasser vs 6.7 diesel
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 10:56:12 PM »
Heavy Duty GMC commercial truck engine in the late 40's/ early 50's was a 302 cu in inline 6, 165 hp and 260-ish ft/# of torque.  That engine powered a good part of America's economic post-war boom.  Pulling 45,000# with it was normal business, even up the Vantage Grade.

None of us "need" the bigger torque numbers the marketing departments have suggested we do, but we buy them anyway.

It’ll do it, but few of us like traveling on the highway at 20 mph

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 12:02:16 AM »
 It's not all about what your truck will pull, it should be about what your truck can stop if needing to.

A Toyota can "pull/tow" my boat on paper, but I'd hate to have to stop quickly at 50+mph, especially on a downhill grade with one.

I'll save the "buttons" discussion for another thread. :chuckle:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 02:56:27 AM »
If you don’t tow with it,  do you really need a super duty? Just sacrificing fuel costs for what? You can tow 12k with a half ton F150.

I'd like to see someone pull 12k with an F150 up vantage  :chuckle:.

You’d be amazed. And it’s a v6.

I’ve got a 41’ fifth wheel that’s 12k dry.  I really doubt an f150 would last long towing it up and down a pass.  If anyone wants to give it a try, please take video and post it.

Jackelope, when did you move to the sales department?   :chuckle:

FYI

And if you’re spending the money on a diesel, why not get a 3/4 ton?  Good mileage and more towing capacity..
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:15:48 AM by Miles »

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 04:23:14 AM »
If you don’t tow with it,  do you really need a super duty? Just sacrificing fuel costs for what? You can tow 12k with a half ton F150.

I'd like to see someone pull 12k with an F150 up vantage  :chuckle:.

You’d be amazed. And it’s a v6.

I’ve got a 41’ fifth wheel that’s 12k dry.  I really doubt an f150 would last long towing it up and down a pass.  If anyone wants to give it a try, please take video and post it.

Jackelope, when did you move to the sales department?   :chuckle:

FYI

And if you’re spending the money on a diesel, why not get a 3/4 ton?  Good mileage and more towing capacity..

I'd like to see that 3.0L V6 Powerstroke in the Expedition!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Viking360

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 05:56:51 AM »
I am getting 16mpg around town and 20mpg highway on my deleted f350 6.7

Offline Wingin it

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 06:23:54 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I have been doing a ton of research and everything is clear as mud! Haha. Judging by what I have read I don't think there is a wrong answer. I think the 6.2 would work well for my needs. However if the right deal on a 6.7 popped up in don't know that I would pass on it either. As I mentioned I don't tow too often but when I need to I need to. I have a daily driver so the truck wouldn't necessarily need to be that anyway.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 06:56:40 AM »
Good luck in your truck quest! When you find the right one, you will know it!!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 10:57:10 PM »

Not a sales guy, Miles. Just don’t understand why someone who admittedly has no need for a diesel would buy one and submit themselves to the added maintenance cost and purchase price of one. Especially when you can buy an f150 or any other brand half ton gas truck that will tow a lot, cost less money to purchase and less money to maintain. And I guess I was wrong. It’s rated to tow 13,200 pounds.  Not 12,000.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Thenewguy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Not the newest new guy
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 09:06:24 AM »
I have towed an awful lot with a f150. Not sure, unless you double toe, why you’d need more.

Offline ryan2202

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
  • Owner / Operator Pine & Tines LLC
    • Pine & Tines - used firearms.  Rifles, Shotguns, Blackpowder
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 09:30:15 AM »
I bought a 2016 6.2L Ford F250 and towed my ultralight 28" box family travel trailer.  I quickly learned the gas mileage, and overall performance on the motor was not cutting it for what I thought the motor should give me.  Don't get me wrong, it got the job done - but I felt like the truck was working hard for long hauls.  So I went out less than a year later and traded it in for a 2015 6.7 F250.  I love the way it tows the family trailer better - it gets better day to day gas mileage as well as better gas mileage when towing.  The truck doesn't even feel like it's working hard when towing - it feels like there's nothing behind it. 

A lot of people don't like the idea of DEF - but I haven't had an issue.  DEF needs to be refilled at every oil change - shouldn't need to top it off before then.

My truck 6.7L is much better for towing and hauling that my 6.2L.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 03:17:48 AM »
I’m curious how many that responded to this thread actually tow 12 - 13k on a regular basis...   

Sure the gas rig will tow some weight, but all things equal on the heavier end of towing, I’ll bet the diesel far outlives the gas rig that was tached out on every hill.   I don’t see gas powered semi trucks all over the place.  Think about that for a second if you plan on towing.

I’ll stick to my diesel.  Here’s the mileage for a morning commute to work, mostly hwy.  3/4 ton.  I check periodically and the computer system has never been off more than .6 mpgs.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:57:21 AM by Miles »

Offline browney5er

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 05:23:18 AM »
I’m curious what kind of mileage you get when you go back up the hill to your house.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak.

Offline browney5er

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 05:49:03 AM »

Not a sales guy, Miles. Just don’t understand why someone who admittedly has no need for a diesel would buy one and submit themselves to the added maintenance cost and purchase price of one. Especially when you can buy an f150 or any other brand half ton gas truck that will tow a lot, cost less money to purchase and less money to maintain. And I guess I was wrong. It’s rated to tow 13,200 pounds.  Not 12,000.

So you’re saying if I have an 11,000 lb 5th wheel that I tow I should be fine with an f-150 and its half ton frame and half ton brakes and half ton transmission. As long as it’s under 13,200 I have no need for anything larger. I beg to differ and if you say that’s not what you said than you better reread your post.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 07:29:59 AM »
I’m curious what kind of mileage you get when you go back up the hill to your house.

Lol.  I average 21 - 23 home.   It’s a mix of up and down between Colorado Springs and Denver. Speeds are 65 - 80. 

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 07:51:12 AM »
We could really spice things up and bring payload into this discussion.  I’d love to drop my 5’er on anyone’s stock F-150 that is willing to volunteer.   Airbag sales will increase...

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal