collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ford 6.2 gasser vs 6.7 diesel  (Read 10774 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Ford 6.2 gasser vs 6.7 diesel
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2018, 03:40:40 PM »
Which is why i'd say a gas truck is appropriate for the needs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2018, 04:42:17 PM »
I’m curious what kind of mileage you get when you go back up the hill to your house.

Here you go..

Online Wingin it

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2018, 06:46:46 PM »
I appreciate the attempts to get the thread back on track. However in this case there are plenty of opinions and info being kicked around to ponder. I say have at it.  :twocents:

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2018, 06:07:49 AM »
Just some thoughts on the gas vs. diesel debate. I'm sure a gasser would pull a trailer ok . May even stop it ok. But to me part of the advantage of a diesel is the weight of the tow vehicle. According to a quick search the heaviest Ford F150 is listed at 4950 lbs. My 06 Chevy with the Duramax is 7500 lbs. I like that extra weight because it doesn't get pushed around as much as a lighter vehicle. I think this is especially noticeable on longer trailers. Tow the same weight with both properly set up over a variety of roads and terrain and I will take the heavier rig every time. People talk about braking. With my Duramax on some pretty steep downhill grades the engine and transmission hold me back where I would have to be riding the brakes in a gasser. Ive been on some pretty steep grades where I didn't have to touch the brakes. Especially if I used the manual shift option. Another big one for me is that a gasser will be working really hard on hard pulls. Personally when the gassers I towed with were running at high RPM it just wasn't relaxing to me. Just seemed to always have me on edge. I like it when I'm pulling hard and only running about 1800 rpm. Just less stressful. 

Sure a gasser will work for some of you. Personally I went from a gasser to a diesel and would never go back if doing much towing at all. The diesel is just way more relaxing to drive, and when I'm driving, going on vacation etc. I go so I can relax as much as possible. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2018, 09:00:12 AM »
Just some thoughts on the gas vs. diesel debate. I'm sure a gasser would pull a trailer ok . May even stop it ok. But to me part of the advantage of a diesel is the weight of the tow vehicle. According to a quick search the heaviest Ford F150 is listed at 4950 lbs. My 06 Chevy with the Duramax is 7500 lbs. I like that extra weight because it doesn't get pushed around as much as a lighter vehicle. I think this is especially noticeable on longer trailers. Tow the same weight with both properly set up over a variety of roads and terrain and I will take the heavier rig every time. People talk about braking. With my Duramax on some pretty steep downhill grades the engine and transmission hold me back where I would have to be riding the brakes in a gasser. Ive been on some pretty steep grades where I didn't have to touch the brakes. Especially if I used the manual shift option. Another big one for me is that a gasser will be working really hard on hard pulls. Personally when the gassers I towed with were running at high RPM it just wasn't relaxing to me. Just seemed to always have me on edge. I like it when I'm pulling hard and only running about 1800 rpm. Just less stressful. 

Sure a gasser will work for some of you. Personally I went from a gasser to a diesel and would never go back if doing much towing at all. The diesel is just way more relaxing to drive, and when I'm driving, going on vacation etc. I go so I can relax as much as possible. 

The OP was talking about deciding between a super duty with a diesel or a super duty with a big gas engine.  It was probably me who got the thread sidetracked into an F150 debate, but that was only because the big trucks cost more and it didn't sound to me like a guy who may tow a few times a year needed a super duty and could save himself some $$$ on the purchase price and maintenance and fuel costs.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline HntnFsh

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2018, 01:06:03 PM »
Ya, I helped it stay off track. For somebody that doesn't tow a lot a duperduty would probably be fine. Handle a bit better than an F150.  We have some superduties at work. They tow ok. But I'm not impressed with them. We are usually around 8000 lbs on our work boats. Most other stuff is lighter.

Offline fish vacuum

• Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2018, 05:35:28 PM »
I haven't noticed where the OP said what and where he will tow.
Most people overestimate their vehicle needs. There are people who need diesels and trucks beyond a half ton. And there are people who own 2500/3500's that could be replaced by a minivan.

Online rtspring

• Old Salt
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2018, 06:09:09 PM »
I wouldn't trade my diesel for any gas motor. But thats me.  Its simple some people need them and some people don't.  With the price of trucks these days they all suck!!!
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline J.Brower

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2018, 09:40:12 AM »
I wouldn't trade my diesel for any gas motor. But thats me.  Its simple some people need them and some people don't.  With the price of trucks these days they all suck!!!

I had that same train of thought, until I finally gave up my 99 Ram for a 15' ecoboost f150.  :chuckle: Still more than happy with it and don't regret it one bit, other than having payments, that part DOES suck.  :bash:

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2018, 11:26:44 AM »
I’m curious what kind of mileage you get when you go back up the hill to your house.

Here you go..

Unless the last 50 miles your drove were down hill with a tail wind, the 23 MPG average is 7 MPG better than my 3.7 Dakota  :yike:

Lets not even mention doing that with double the HP, bigger bed, and more payload, I would just get seriously depressed  :ACRY:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline dontgetcrabs

• Sourdough
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2018, 05:03:31 PM »

Glad you moved on from that super charged toy truck you bragged about.  :tup:

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2018, 05:20:55 PM »

Here you go..

Unless the last 50 miles your drove were down hill with a tail wind, the 23 MPG average is 7 MPG better than my 3.7 Dakota  :yike:

Lets not even mention doing that with double the HP, bigger bed, and more payload, I would just get seriously depressed  :ACRY:

I commute from the Springs to Denver.  It’s not downhill both ways...  I posted mpgs for both legs of the trip.   With that type of hwy fuel mileage it’s hard for me to understand the appeal of the “smaller” trucks.   But I also tow a 41’ fifth wheel pretty regularly, so that plays a part in my thought process. 

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2018, 07:07:37 PM »

I had that same train of thought, until I finally gave up my 99 Ram for a 15' ecoboost f150.  :chuckle: Still more than happy with it and don't regret it one bit, other than having payments, that part DOES suck.  :bash:

Same here, diesels all in the family for years and years, Fords and dodge, I too picked up a 2015 ecoboost in 15, love it!

Offline kckrawler

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2018, 07:47:47 PM »

Here you go..

I commute from the Springs to Denver.  It’s not downhill both ways...  I posted mpgs for both legs of the trip.   With that type of hwy fuel mileage it’s hard for me to understand the appeal of the “smaller” trucks.   But I also tow a 41’ fifth wheel pretty regularly, so that plays a part in my thought process.

Stock or modified?
I worry about belonging to a club that accepts people like me as members.

"Horrific things happen not because we have guns in our society, but because we have evil in our society."

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2018, 10:16:52 AM »

Here you go..

Believe me the appeal of small trucks, turns into a myth once you have one, LOL.

Especially with numbers like that
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter