collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What did you just say to me - 2018: Episode #1  (Read 1593 times)

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
What did you just say to me - 2018: Episode #1
« on: April 09, 2018, 11:38:23 AM »
Disclaimer: I’ll try to be a descriptive as possible with the scenarios but please understand I can’t cover all the variables potentially encountered in each of the presented situations. For these threads, let’s assume everybody knows what the different elk noises sound like (cow chatter, locater bugle, screams, chuckles, grunts, alarm barks, nervous barks, etc.). Remember, it’s all about sharing knowledge from experience, asking questions, and perhaps, learning a thing or two.  Let’s start this first one.

Scenario: It’s early September and you’ve set up in mid to late afternoon on a well-used wallow you scouted over the summer and confirmed was active a few days ago.  This is the first time you’ve hunted it. At this time of the day, the thermals have switched and are gently rising uphill. You’ve set up with some good cover to your back (brush and large downed tree trunk that precludes anything from walking in from behind you). You’re sitting above one side of the wallow that allows you some great shooting lanes that range out to about 40 yards. Right about the time you’re seriously considering launching a broad head at an annoying pine squirrel that seems to think he works for ADT, you hear a distant bugle. A few minutes later, you hear the bugle again. The bull seems to be coming your way. Again closing the gap, about 150 yards down and across the basin, a clear locater bugle rings through the trees. This dude seems to be on his way to the wallow you’re sitting on! What is this elk communicating and what action, if any, should you take to potentially get a shot?  Are you hollering back in an attempt to ensure the bull comes your way (if so, what verbal or non-verbal elk sounds are you using)?     
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: What did you just say to me - 2018: Episode #1
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 11:44:33 AM »
If it was me, I would hold off on calling if I thought he was coming to the wallow. If I called then he would think there was elk there and would want to see one when he came in. If after a while he moved off then I would throw a locator back at him?

Offline High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 11:51:11 AM »
He’s cruising looking for cows, so I would give him some cow sounds to ensure he will come up to wallow to look for them. Some grunts and a challenge would be on my mind but I think he would be more apt to circle and try to wind if he knew a bull had hot cows. 

Offline nitroelk

• Scout
  • Groups: R.M.E.F.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 12:28:01 PM »
I would do some soft, suggestive cow calls and only bugle if he started going the other way to try to call him back

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 01:26:24 PM »
I do nothing and let him come in. Every time I've called when sitting on a wallow bulls come in on the alert and are looking for me. If I'm quite they just come in looking to play in the mud.

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 02:11:40 PM »
Ok the first thing I’d do is go with Coach, he’s an Elk magnet plus he is big and can pack a bunch of meat!  :chuckle:
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by pianoman9701
[Today at 08:57:54 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]