collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Grunt calling for blacktail  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Star882

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Grunt calling for blacktail
« on: April 09, 2018, 12:41:07 PM »
Just curious if anyone is grunt calling for Blacktail? If so I was curious which ones have you guys had best luck with. I have seen a lot of whitetail ones but haven't found any specific Blacktail ones. Not really sure if it matters even.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Grunt calling for blacktail
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 12:48:00 PM »
I've been able to stop a blacktail buck with a whitetail grunt. But I've never had one come in to a grunt.  :dunno: I haven't shot that many blakies, either, about 6.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 04:20:04 PM »
I have had plenty of blacktail does, come in when using a fawn distress call, lol
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 06:14:07 PM »
I have had plenty of blacktail does, come in when using a fawn distress call, lol
I will likely use this next year for that end of year tag filler for archery!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 06:53:14 PM »
We usually chirp at them with our lips and they either stop for a shot or come back to see what's going on. Also have used animal distress calls and it always get the does interested. Never had any luck using a grunt for bucks other than to stop them. Haven't seen much of a response from bt bucks from rattling either.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 08:03:23 PM »
Try the search function:  "Blacktail grunt call"    There's about 7 - 8 entries worth reading, though any entries made by me are likely half-truths and all out lies.  Googling the same thing also brings up some worthwhile reading and perhaps an opportunity to purchase one.

I do remember a couple of discussions and very positive responses from other members on the topic.  Grunting calls are often used in conjunction with rattling, though one member last fall said he just sets up on the periphery of a reprod unit in the area of fresh rubs, hides, then grunts up a buck without rattling the bones (or something like that).

I bought a BT grunt tube last fall (forget who makes it), which is a smaller version of the same manufacturer's Muley grunt tubes.  I had no luck with it, but it only takes one buck responding to your grunts to turn a very bad season into a great season. 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 09:55:14 PM »
Try the search function:  "Blacktail grunt call"    There's about 7 - 8 entries worth reading, though any entries made by me are likely half-truths and all out lies.  Googling the same thing also brings up some worthwhile reading and perhaps an opportunity to purchase one.

I do remember a couple of discussions and very positive responses from other members on the topic.  Grunting calls are often used in conjunction with rattling, though one member last fall said he just sets up on the periphery of a reprod unit in the area of fresh rubs, hides, then grunts up a buck without rattling the bones (or something like that).

I bought a BT grunt tube last fall (forget who makes it), which is a smaller version of the same manufacturer's Muley grunt tubes.  I had no luck with it, but it only takes one buck responding to your grunts to turn a very bad season into a great season.

I was waiting for you to respond.  So, other than me, you were the other liar on that site then, were you?

I have grunted a lot with the big grunt tube available at any sportsman's store, but not with much luck.  I have often wondered if it made any sense at all.  I might go to my grave not knowing the answer. 
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 10:18:34 PM »
Oh man!  PD - I thought you were one of the guys who had some success grunting!  Now I feel stupid (again!).

Star882 - Never mind what I said.  Don't bother grunting!   :chuckle: :chuckle:  But if you've got four bucks burning a hole in your pocket, here's a cheap BT grunt tube on Amazon.  It is likely a re-labeled whitetail grunt tube.   >:( >:( 

https://www.amazon.com/Carltons-Calls-Hunters-Specialties-Blacktail/dp/B011758CYC
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 10:29:21 PM »
Oh man!  PD - I thought you were one of the guys who had some success grunting!  Now I feel stupid (again!).

Stupid you are not.  I know that for a fact.

Last October, raining (it always rains around Oct/28 or so), sitting on a piece of plastic to keep my bum less wet, I did grunt.  In fact, with apples in the wet meadow and cranking hard on last year's horns and spraying hard on some unknown can of aerosol juice, I was trying my hardest to call in a nice buck.  Of course, I had some nice looking doe come into the fun.  Rinse and repeat--I did this same thing several times.  Over the course of a week last year I did call in a lot of doe blackies as well as a few bucks.  My shooting is not that great (poor eyesight and a bow are not a good combination) but the large black and green grunt tube did work, I suppose.

Is rattling better?  Grunt tube better?  Apples better?  Scent wicks better?  I have tried them all.  For the sake of this thread, I must admit I don't yet know the answer.  I am waiting for some of the Jedi Knights here to send me a whisper of Truth.

In the meantime, I continue to enjoy my venison (my lovely bride made some tonight).  It isn't much, will be gone soon, but it ain't nothing.  I guess grunting isn't all that bad.

:hello:
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 11:22:10 PM »
I have this one and can't say for sure if it's worked. I think my buck last year may have come in to check it out. I was exploring a new spot, heard a sound that could have been an animal stepping on a branch on the other side of a vine maple patch, and gave a grunt. A couple of minutes later a buck was staring at me through the trees 30 yards away.
Normally I just give a grunt if I accidentally make noise like stepping on a branch or crunchy leaves.

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 11:29:42 PM »
I stopped using a fawn in distress call one day while bear hunting because of this. Three different locations and three different freaked out does. They came in on a run then stomped and wheezed around me. It felt like I was really spooking them. Somewhere I have video of one of them running up a clear cut in a zig zag pattern making a bunch of wheezing sounds.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]