collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: UTV Accessibility  (Read 3998 times)

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
UTV Accessibility
« on: April 09, 2018, 08:16:07 PM »
Alright everyone, I’m tired of tearing up my diesel hunting and scouting new areas (no I do not road hunt) but I do drive around a lot to find newer areas and have thought about buying a utv. I would make sure it was street legal but I’m curios how much I’ll get hassled. I’ll be driving it as I would my truck and only on open roads. I’ve seen a lot of utv’s running around, how many of you have gone down this path and what were some of your experiences? Any issues with LEO? I’d be using it on both east and west side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wallab

• Tracker
Re: UTV Accessibility
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:27:46 PM »
Even if they are legal on county roads and state roads they are still illegal on all Forest Service roads.  I know there have been quite a few tickets handed out in Kittitas County because of this.
IAFF 1758

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 09:54:27 PM »
Even if they are legal on county roads and state roads they are still illegal on all Forest Service roads.  I know there have been quite a few tickets handed out in Kittitas County because of this.

First off, they are NOT illegal on ALL forest circus roads. Get a Motorized Vehicle Use Map from the forest circus areas you want to explore. Have to call each ranger rick and ask for them. You'll need your UTV inspected, but the place (dealer ) you buy if from shouldn't charge you for that. Have it mad into street legal and get your GREEN License Plate specific to your UTV with both onroad/offroad tabs from the state. As for LEO, I never had any trouble at all, EVER. I was told by the LEOs I know, that they have bigger issues to worry about than a UTV driving down a forest circus road. Most likely, the forest service cop is the one who will be a dick about it. Most likely a greenie, who hates UTVs/ATVs and the ranger of that particular area is a huge greenie and hates his kids too.

Good luck....

Knock Knock is really well read on UTVs use too.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 06:36:33 AM »
I know there’s rules and regs and green dot roads etc. I know no one wants people out tearing up roads and driving/ riding behind closed gates and closed rds. There’s always a few that ruin it for the rest, from the little research I’ve done myself it seems like that’s the biggest concern. Maybe I’m thinking about it wrong and only in my own perspective but in my mind a utv will be a lot easier and less damaging on the rd’s then my 10k lb diesel.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 07:04:14 AM »
I know there’s rules and regs and green dot roads etc. I know no one wants people out tearing up roads and driving/ riding behind closed gates and closed rds. There’s always a few that ruin it for the rest, from the little research I’ve done myself it seems like that’s the biggest concern. Maybe I’m thinking about it wrong and only in my own perspective but in my mind a utv will be a lot easier and less damaging on the rd’s then my 10k lb diesel.

Heck, I think my quad does less damage to a road or trail than most horses! 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 07:19:47 AM »
I did the kit to make my ATV street legal got plates, paid extra and when I was up near Winthrop told I couldnt use it in NF.
I agree if you use a licensed street legal ATV/UTV on the FR it should be no different than a truck, but more economical.
Its the bad apples that go off road that screw it up for the rest, I think
watch for small signage saying NO, easy to miss
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 07:44:56 AM »
There is no way a horse can cause more damage to a road than an ATV. I have had Atv's race by me without even slowing down while Im leading a string of mules. It only takes a few Dumb Asses to ruin it for everyone. Thank Goodness for the Wildernesses !!!
KD

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 08:03:11 AM »
There is no way a horse can cause more damage to a road than an ATV. I have had Atv's race by me without even slowing down while Im leading a string of mules. It only takes a few Dumb Asses to ruin it for everyone. Thank Goodness for the Wildernesses !!!
Im fully aware there are a lot of dumb asses in this world, I always get off the road or trail and shut my quad off when I see horses.  But trying to walk in on a well used horse trail is almost impossible at times, I’m not against them, I just think they cause as much damage.  Now if I was out to cause damage w my quad by doing burn outs or doughnuts and stuff, then I’d agree.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 08:07:26 AM »
Before I spent $12k on one of those big fancy atvs to drive down a road, I would simply buy a $6k used truck which would be more comfortable, cost less, not require a tow vehicle, trailer, multiple more license fees, haul more stuff, quieter and something you could sleep in when needed.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 09:51:45 AM »
A Suzuki sidekick, or Geo Tracker would fit that bill easily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 09:59:59 AM »
A Suzuki sidekick, or Geo Tracker would fit that bill easily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
or an older single cab tacoma/ toyota pick up 4x4.
driving around on a UTV/ATV in the rain and mud sucks..a lot, just about as much as following a truck on a dusty road when scouting the eastside.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 10:04:59 AM »
Every area has its own rules.  UTV should be street lic.  Not wise to do it to replace a truck.  If access is available and trail systems then yes.  Westside is pretty much useless for em.  Either break the law or go play in select few areas between the regulated calender dates after spending serious change on blinkers, horns, lic., passes.  East much more friendly.  Storage, passengers, wipers, heaters, comfort you give up with utv.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 10:12:43 AM »
I’ve thought about buying another truck specifically for Hunting, I agree it would be the best option. However, I typically pull my toy hauler and set up camp for my family to come and spend some time. Most of my scouting and finding new areas is also a family event that we pull the camper as well. That’s what has pushed me towards a utv.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 10:18:11 AM »
I am similar.  Go for it but remember u limited where to use them.  It can be lots fun for family.  Not cheap either.  Idaho more user friendly. 
MAGA!  Again..

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 10:39:23 AM »
I bought one with the same hesitation.  So far I have had no regrets.  I drive mine around town more than I drive in the hills.  I used it in Idaho last year and plan on taking it out in the washington hills this year.  I plow snow at the house and around the neighborhood.....multi purpose machines!!  My kids are learning to drive with it too which makes it easy and fun. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]