collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help me with 1st bow  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Sneaky

• Savage
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
Re: Help me with 1st bow
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 06:56:19 PM »
Here is what I have learned over the years after much trial and error and many thousands of dollars:

buy a bow with a flatback grip! I have shot and owned lots of different bows and my most success has been with bows with a flat back grip. (Mathews halon series/triax, Bowtech Realm and Realm X, Fanatic 3.0)

Buy once, cry once. A quality setup will be about $1500 out the door after rest, sight, etc.

Don't shoot stock strings, replace immediately with Twisted X bowstrings or another reputable builder. Buy Mercury.

Shadow Stabilizers. Cheapest/Best if you aren't talking about 30" target bars.

Owning a bowtech in WA state is smart. The reason being if you ever had an issue you could literally drive to the factory if you aren't satisfied with your dealer. If you want to go to Sparta you have to buy a plane ticket!

The flat back grip makes a huge difference, especially for somebody who is new or learning.

shoot a single pin sight.

Buy a straight arrow (.001") from a company that measures straightness over the entire shaft (Victory and Black Eagle) rather than a 28" section (goldtip, Beman, etc). Don't leave any room to doubt your equipment because you wanted to save a few bucks.

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2018, 10:14:43 AM »
Thanks a lot guys. I sure appreciate it. Bowhunting is sort of a natural progression often times. I never did it before because my busiest seasons at work are during the archery seasons but since I can literally hunt right out my back door now things have changed a bit.  :IBCOOL: Some very good points made here and I really appreciate it. The comments about SVE interest me because even a non bowhunter like myself has heard not so great things about these guys so I'm not sure what to think and I don't want to get taken because I'm such a newb. They are close to me though and it's much easier to get there than it is to go way up north. Thanks for everything guys. Looking forward to this season
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:50:27 AM by Gutpile »

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 12:00:47 AM »
Measure your wingspan then divide by 2.5 and that will be a good start for your draw length. After you shoot a couple hundred arrows you can always change it and fine tune it if you need. I bought my first bow from an old timer who has been doing archery for decades. I told him that I (like you in this thread) was told to shoot a bunch of different bows and to see what I liked best and he told me i could shoot every bow in his shop if I wanted but since I've never shot one before they were all going to feel weird and unnatural, and he was right. I (again, like you) had only heard of Hoyt and was planning on buying the $1200 top shelf bow but he made an easy sell on me to go with the $500 bow for my first one. You could shoot either of those bows but regardless of what you buy you probably won't feel comfortable with it when you walk out of the store that first day. Like someone above stated, every bow could be saying something different to you but you wont be able to understand what it is they're saying until you've shot A LOT of arrows. Buy something affordable and shoot it for a year then go back and upgrade later if you want. I still shoot the same bow I bought originally and still don't have any plans to get a new one in the near future. Also, Google the Nuts & Bolts of Archery.

Offline Gutpile

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 06:41:05 AM »
 :tup:

Well put

Thanks!!!

I think you all saved me a lot of coin.  :hello:

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 10:21:29 AM »
I did also as prior mentioned until I got the understanding of shooting and the feeling. 

The components you attach to the bow could be top of the line because they will transfer over so you don't end up buying those twice. 

However if you go middle of the road on components no problem either.  You could upgrade components with the new bow and have the first set up as a back up or to get a buddy into bow hunting down the road.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 10:56:58 AM »
start with a bowtech Experience.  Should be available used for around $500.  Great bow too!

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 04:54:02 PM »
If you can find a place that will let you test a few, THEN DO IT! Find one that draws smooth and feels good during hold and release. I am in the market for a new bow and am looking at the Bear Arena 34. My bow is 20 years old and I haven't replaced it for quite a few good reasons. It draws SUPER smooth, hold and release are easy and smooth, and it is WAY quieter than my buddies new bows. It also has killed a TON of blacktails for both myself and my father. I do highly recommend checking out the Bear archery bows btw. I mean if they aren't for you then no biggy but my buddy started his gf off on a bear last year that goes from 15 lbs draw all the way up to 70 lbs. She started at 37 lbs and keeps up with us on the archery walk through we do out to the 50 yard targets. Yet again though, that's a preference for myself and a few others I know. If you find a hoyt, Matthews, Elite, Etc that makes you happy with its performance than snatch it up and get it tuned the way you want. Make sure if its a hunting bow that you weigh your arrows with tips also. Remember 6 grains of arrow per pound of draw weight minimum and I want to say there is a minimum length and weight also but I can't remember those numbers off the top of my head. Good luck and have fun doing your shopping!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 05:07:17 PM »
I was in the same boat and almost bought a low-mid level PSE bow new.  I ended up finding a one year old barely used Hoyt Pro Defiant for 40% off with no tax or shipping ($600).  I spend $350 getting it checked out, adjusted and set up, sight, rest, release and 6 arrows.  I still need to buy a quiver, broadheads and more arrows, probably $275 or so.  So, for $1200-1300 you can get an excellent used bow all set up.  The only thing I would upgrade is the release, but the one I have works fine.  I was shooting pie plate groups at 60 yards the first week with only a 30 minute lesson and some practice.

I would certainly go used flagship over new mid range although there is some risk in buying sight unseen.  I think most shops will have some used bows or know people who want to upgrade and sell a bow with tons of life left.  I bought mine from archerytalk classifieds from someone that had a good reputation and wouldn't hesitate to go that route again.

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 08:28:13 PM »
I can get a new bow set up for around 1300 for what I carry.  Spend some time shooting bows lots of bows. Get with someone that really knows bows and has a passion for it.

Offline CamanoArcher4-2016

• Pilgrim
    • 757 S Commodore Ln
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 02:04:16 PM »
make a day of just shooting whatever you can get your hands on. Go for what you would feel comfortable with carrying around all day, and one that feels good to shoot. Chances are you will decide on a middle of the run bow and save yourself some $$$

Offline Gutpile

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2018, 08:19:54 PM »
Well boys I pulled the trigger literally and figuratively. I got blown out last tuesday so I couldn't work and figured Id go shopping and looking and talking. Ended up buying a Bowtech Carbon Icon. First I really want to thank you Neil for the offer of help and I wanted to chat a bit but as you know work is pretty hectic this time of year and time is something I don't have a lot of. Tuesday was windy so i had to take advantage of it.

Glad I did a lot of talking because I'm left eye dominant and decided on a left hand setup even though I'm a righty.  It feels completely natural. Ive been playing a lot after work and even got a shot at a Tom but missed darn thing. With a shotty he would have been a done deal but he just wouldn't sit still!! Holy crap this bow thing is going to be fun. I'm blessed that I can literally hunt right out my back door, I went out tonight and worked two birds but they are still henned up and wouldnt come to the calls. I can't wait till tomorrow morning, I think I'll do a little hunting before work. So addictive!.

I'm pretty stoked and  I appreciate all of the positive advice everyone gave or offered. Hooefully I'll be able to stick a bird.

THANKS!!!!!!

Y.A.R. Gold Member

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by timberghost72
[Today at 08:55:00 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]