collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Zinke wants Spokane Tribe compensated for loss of land and lifestyle to Dam  (Read 5641 times)

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
A young man in Alaska told a story that his Grandma told him that put a spin on White mans arrival into Alaska. She was a village elder..
She told of a old Indian Chief  and an old trapper who met down at the river and shared a fire. They were reminiscing about the "old days" and the trapper began to think about what "white man" had done to Alaska and its people over the years. He stated "It must have been much different before we showed up."  The Indian Chief replied "Sure was... We use to starve to death every winter before you came."
She understood how bad things were and how they could of tuned out worse. The young man has a very pragmatic view of things and works it to his benifit. American at times and Indian at times but no hate.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
A young man in Alask
American at times and Indian at times but no hate.

That right there.
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Well, I’d be willing to bet Plat that most of your non native friends have nothing good to say about treaties behind your back. Just saying, and that doesn’t mean they don’t respect you.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Sourdough
You all are hunters here, and you really truly don't know who your great granny was sleeping with.  The past is just that.  However, the damages to the earth are ongoing.  Instead of paying a made up group, that wasn't a cohesive group, but a battling group of bands, why not fix the problem for all?  Get a fish passage built, and humans will benefit.

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer
Trophy, I don't doubt there's a few that do but for the most part those that I consider friends don't. If someone cant accept me for who I am then they should just keep it real and be honest with themselves. Don't put on a face and try to be friends just say it and be real. I respect those that do just that.

I've lost a lot of respect for some on here because they put on a face and acted like others wanted them to. When the reality was they didn't like me or what I stood for or represent.

There's no skin off my d... if people don't like or care for what I've got to say. There's no sleep lost here. I am who I am and nobody can take that away. I'll always be who I am and unlike the left liberal tree hugging bunny lovers I'm not going to parade it around and rub it in faces or March downtown for attention. That's not me.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
Well, those who really know me also know I hide nothing, you won’t see hold back on much.  I speak my mind, and I will always be honest!!  Of course being completely honest hurts feelings or offends people.  I do respect you and who you are, hell, I respect the hell out of most native traditions.  I just want us all to be equal, like God made us. Treaties will always be a great divide in my opinion.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
Someday I’ll learn to just not open up these topics.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
Nobody alive today had any hand in what happened, but as a country we can decide to let it go or try to make it right at some level.  We took something that didn't belong to us, built a dam and profited for several generations on the use of the river and land.  The proposal amounts to a cost of about 7 cents per US citizen (23/330).  I'm fine with that.

exactly, but say we do pay the NA's

how long before the blacks get paid?
mexicans?
chinese?
japanese?

Many Chinese were killed building our RR and Dams and they worked as slaves
We interred Japanese during WWII
We took land from the mexicans

The list of grievances against the US is loooooong.
Reagan signed a bill which paid those Japanese interned during WWII about $60,000 each.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Nobody alive today had any hand in what happened, but as a country we can decide to let it go or try to make it right at some level.  We took something that didn't belong to us, built a dam and profited for several generations on the use of the river and land.  The proposal amounts to a cost of about 7 cents per US citizen (23/330).  I'm fine with that.
What about Mexico ??? We took land from them too, should we pay them as well??
Under the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, the US paid Mexico $15 million for 529,000 square miles of lands taken from Mexico in California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and Texas (the Mexican Cession).  In addition, they assumed $3+ million of debts owed by Mexico to US citizens.  The US paid Mexico $10 million under the 1854 Gadsen purchase for another 30,000 square miles added in southern New Mexico and Arizona. 

In addition, the US used the purchase to bolster its claim to the southern portion of the undefined disputed boundary between Oregon Territory previously claimed by Mexico and Columbia Territory claimed by the British, resulting in a negotiated cession of claims by England to lands west of the Continental Divide between the 42nd and 49th parallels, and cession of claims by the US to lands west of the Continental Divide north of the 49th parallel.   

Some people claim Mexico was unfairly compensated, but that claim doesn't stand up to the history of willing seller purchases of other North American territories by the US: the 1803 $15 Million Louisiana Purchase (combined cash and debt forgiveness) of the Mississippi River drainage from France; the $5 Million purchase of Florida Territory in 1819 (plus assumption of debts owed by Spain to Florida residents); and the 1867 purchase of the Alaska Territory from the Russian Empire for $7.2 Million.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Most people don't do a good job making the distinction between the frustrations of individuals and leadership. The 2 get muddied together, and to top it off not all tribes act the same way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
Trophy, I don't doubt there's a few that do but for the most part those that I consider friends don't. If someone cant accept me for who I am then they should just keep it real and be honest with themselves. Don't put on a face and try to be friends just say it and be real. I respect those that do just that.

I've lost a lot of respect for some on here because they put on a face and acted like others wanted them to. When the reality was they didn't like me or what I stood for or represent.

There's no skin off my d... if people don't like or care for what I've got to say. There's no sleep lost here. I am who I am and nobody can take that away. I'll always be who I am and unlike the left liberal tree hugging bunny lovers I'm not going to parade it around and rub it in faces or March downtown for attention. That's not me.

Right, but can't it go both ways? Can't people hate the reality of tribal hunting and fishing and you might accept them as they are?
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline Odell

• Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
Build a fish ladder and compensate fairly anyone who lost land.

I've got no problem with that

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer

Right, but can't it go both ways? Can't people hate the reality of tribal hunting and fishing and you might accept them as they are?

I do? Where have I ever said otherwise? Where have I ever singled out anyone or attacked them verbally? It's the other way around when it comes to that type of actions.

I'll give respect if its given. Such as yourself Odell. You've spoken your peace on more than one occasion  and made it clear where you stand. You didn't sugar coat it or attempt to appease anyone with your beliefs and views.

I can respect that. I don't have to like it but I'll respect it. All I've ever asked is that when dealing with tribal issues focus on the individuals if it involves individuals.

We all have our own beliefs, views, opinions, ethics, morals that we stand for and if we look at each other in that fashion how can you not respect that?

:tup:

Offline Odell

• Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose

I do? Where have I ever said otherwise? Where have I ever singled out anyone or attacked them verbally? It's the other way around when it comes to that type of actions.

I'll give respect if its given. Such as yourself Odell. You've spoken your peace on more than one occasion  and made it clear where you stand. You didn't sugar coat it or attempt to appease anyone with your beliefs and views.

I can respect that. I don't have to like it but I'll respect it. All I've ever asked is that when dealing with tribal issues focus on the individuals if it involves individuals.

We all have our own beliefs, views, opinions, ethics, morals that we stand for and if we look at each other in that fashion how can you not respect that?

:tup:

I may have misunderstood a previous post then so my apologies.  When you said "Same goes for the real world. I've had some that I called friend and yet talk sh.. and hate the fact that I have certain rights and liberties that they do not. They always follow up with the same statement, "I mean no disrespect...". Oh you don't? But you just did do exactly what you said you didn't do."

I read it like if someone hates the system and speaks out against it, that they are disrespecting you as a person.

I think the system sucks and many people are abusing it. I personally think that any tribal member hunting on state land should follow the same rules as everyone else. I also hear crickets from tribal members about the serious problem of abuse.

But tribes should be able to do anything they want on their nation lands.

But I also don't want to make anyone feel disrespected as a person.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal