collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Weyerhaeuser access  (Read 10781 times)

Offline SkookumHntr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Weyerhaeuser access
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 11:41:19 AM »
What tree farm is minot peak? I'm sure I could figure it out easy enough too lol
IBEW89 RMEF MDF CCA

Offline Hanapaa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 11:22:40 PM »
What tree farm is minot peak? I'm sure I could figure it out easy enough too lol

Believe its the Aberdeen unit.  I camped out there for elk season, you just have to register your rig with Weyco.   

Offline BigBuckBandit

• Pilgrim
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 07:50:22 PM »
I wouldn't bother buying a Pe Ell South permit if I was you. I ponied up last year and bought one as I am getting into hunting as a young adult and thought it would be a good opportunity for me to be successful. I spent a lot of time behind those gates and trying to get away from the crowds and biking into neighboring land owners. Saw a bunch of does and a few elk here and there but literally didn't turn up a single buck. Now I'm not saying there isn't any deer in that unit, I'm just saying it might not be worth the money of paying for the access. You have to remember everybody and their dog is gonna be back there with you and driving the roads constantly. Felt like driving around the city at times. Just my two cents!

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 08:42:16 PM »
Don't want to derail this, but any input on Aberdeen permit area deer numbers?

I wouldn’t buy that for deer either.  There maybe portions I haven’t hunted that are decent but I have had the permit and hunted deer elsewhere.

Offline MonstroMuley

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 11:04:39 PM »
Biggest Deer saw @ Kapowsin was a 4 pt just past the main gate entrance standing in the attendants front lawn on opening day 2016.  Drove and hiked back all over on many of the side and skid roads and saw alot of Deer sign and plenty of Big Bulls during the season, but no Blacktails.  One guy shot a Bobcat.

Thing about Hancock Kapowsin Area (aside from High Permit Fee) is there are posted signs in the re-prod areas where they list the herbicide chemicals (like Element 4 [Triclopyr ButoOxy-"Yada-Yada" Ester]) and recent application dates they used to spray to suppress weed growth and brush vegetation around the sapling Doug Fir Trees to give 'em a chance to grow faster (Sustained-Yield Forestry Practices ... I guess?).  We ran into alot of areas like that in Kapowsin.  That got us to thinking about what the Deer and Elk are eating in those same areas?  That opened up a whole can of worms  ... if they're spraying re-prod in Western WA where else are they spraying across the state? Gets you thinking and researching Forestry Practices in the areas you're hunting.  So what do the Livers of those Kapowsin Deer and Elk look like?  Makes one wonder if you have a successful hunt, what are you really eating?  Would be interesting to hear from a WDFW Bio to get an opinion?
Switched back to EWA Hunting after seeing that!     

Used to hunt the Cowlitz WildLife Area and be-friended the local Morton Guyz who knew all the back roads and prime hunting areas ... they spoke highly of the Vail Unit and applied most years ...
"Everyone has a Gut Pile..." - "The Nuge" (TN)

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 04:34:43 AM »
i had pretty lousy luck in vail.  i had never hunted it before last year, and bought the permit because i knew i wouldn't be able to make it to the east side.  i'm only 5 minutes from some walk in areas, but it's about a 20 minute drive to the closest drive-in gate.

i think my luck was probably due to not knowing how to hunt that type of timberland.  the area i primarily hunt in in the 501 unit is a sort of overgrown clearcut that was never replanted, and a bunch of swampy maple timber.  there isn't anything much like that in vail, it's mostly thick doghair with some clearcuts that are pretty much devoid of any kind of life because they've been sprayed.

it's also pretty frustrating, parking at the start of a short dead end spur, hiking up into a cut, then having some *censored* come ripping up the road with a noisy diesel just to glass the area 100 yards from where you're standing.  that was something i definitely wasn't used to(i mostly hunt behind locked gates, there aren't many in vail).  lots of rude behavior out there, the saturday of late buck was a mess, guys passing you doing 50+ miles per hour(speed limit is 25) etc.

that said, some nice deer do get taken out of there, but i'm really on the fence about buying the permit again.  it's just tempting because it's close and it's a 40+ minute drive to the nearest state land that isn't really great hunting(capital forest).
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 05:06:46 AM »
Sounds like some bad experiences!!!
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 05:33:42 AM »
sounds like most of the state
aholes abound
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Online Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 06:15:19 AM »
the area i primarily hunt in in the 501 unit is a sort of overgrown clearcut that was never replanted, and a bunch of swampy maple timber.  there isn't anything much like that in vail, it's mostly thick doghair with some clearcuts that are pretty much devoid of any kind of life because they've been sprayed.

You've actually got it backwards. The brushy hardwood areas were the ones that weren't sprayed. Everything is replanted by law, but without a spray, conifer seedlings are quickly outcompeted by hardwoods etc.

Dog hair is typically a result of hemlock ingrowth.  Nobody is replanting at doghair levels. Typically its a 10×10' spacing, which will later get PCTd to a 12x12 or 13x13. Dog hair is actually usually a result of a lighter spray, which didnt kill the hemlock seedbed that was already in the soil.

The lack of brush at the ground level in dog hair is due to the lack of sunlight making it through the canopy. Hemlock, with its density and thick needles close it out pretty fast.

Sprayed harvest units go their first 2-3 years without intense vegetation competition, by year 3 when they've got their root systems established there is a ton of vegetation back.

Lots of misconceptions about herbicides out there running wild.

On topic though, I've hunted Vail since I was probably 8 years old or so. Been buying the permit the last 3 or 4, and Pe Ell before that.  The deer are there, but last year in my opinion was weird with the lack of a widespread rut. We'd still see deer, just didn't see the bucks. Typically lots of spikes and forkies, with the occassional nice buck coming out.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 05:22:08 PM »
Biggest Deer saw @ Kapowsin was a 4 pt just past the main gate entrance standing in the attendants front lawn on opening day 2016.  Drove and hiked back all over on many of the side and skid roads and saw alot of Deer sign and plenty of Big Bulls during the season, but no Blacktails.  One guy shot a Bobcat.

Thing about Hancock Kapowsin Area (aside from High Permit Fee) is there are posted signs in the re-prod areas where they list the herbicide chemicals (like Element 4 [Triclopyr ButoOxy-"Yada-Yada" Ester]) and recent application dates they used to spray to suppress weed growth and brush vegetation around the sapling Doug Fir Trees to give 'em a chance to grow faster (Sustained-Yield Forestry Practices ... I guess?).  We ran into alot of areas like that in Kapowsin.  That got us to thinking about what the Deer and Elk are eating in those same areas?  That opened up a whole can of worms  ... if they're spraying re-prod in Western WA where else are they spraying across the state? Gets you thinking and researching Forestry Practices in the areas you're hunting.  So what do the Livers of those Kapowsin Deer and Elk look like?  Makes one wonder if you have a successful hunt, what are you really eating?  Would be interesting to hear from a WDFW Bio to get an opinion?
Switched back to EWA Hunting after seeing that!     

Used to hunt the Cowlitz WildLife Area and be-friended the local Morton Guyz who knew all the back roads and prime hunting areas ... they spoke highly of the Vail Unit and applied most years ...
Liver on my deer from Kapowsin last year looked fine and tasted fine.  :dunno: All other organs looked normal as well except for the heart and lungs... they had an arrow hole through them  :chuckle: I'm definitely going to try for Vail permit this year and if I don't get it then I guess its back to buying a kapowsin permit and hunting hard.

Offline MonstroMuley

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 08:55:38 PM »
...All other organs looked normal as well except for the heart and lungs... they had an arrow hole through them  :chuckle:
Good One! :chuckle: :tup:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 09:07:54 PM by MonstroMuley »
"Everyone has a Gut Pile..." - "The Nuge" (TN)

Offline SkookumHntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 09:12:15 AM »
I'm kinda interested in the Aberdeen south key, does anybody know if this sells out in 5 minutes like vail does or can you purchase it say after the hunting draws in june.  :dunno:
IBEW89 RMEF MDF CCA

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2018, 09:14:56 AM »
Aberdeen hasn't been selling out very fast. I believe this year there is not a North and South. It's all by been combined into one.

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2018, 09:42:33 AM »
Any word on vail price increase?
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2018, 10:18:16 AM »
Any word on vail price increase?

It shows $350.00 for motorized and $100.00 for walk-in and a sale date of May 17th so far
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]