collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What brand of truck not to buy  (Read 12554 times)

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Re: What brand of truck not to buy
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2018, 06:12:41 AM »
2 weeks and almost 500 miles, zero problems.  :)

And it pulls stuff too.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2018, 08:51:06 AM »
First pickup was an 84 F150 300-6, had rear axle issues

Second truck was an 86 F250, 6.9 diesel. Had vacuum pump, and fuel pump issues that were really not a big deal. Drove the wheels off that old pickup and wish I still had it.

Third truck 04 F350 V-10 gas. awesome pickup, zero complaints.

The above pickups are my personal, play/haul pickups. I have owned a tundra, and a suburban, and now a 99 Tahoe that are considered family cars. The 01 suburban was great, until all the electrical things just up and quit working. Traded it on the Tundra. Tundra was to expensive, had an opportunity to sell it, and done so. Tundra was in the shop a lot, water pump, re built the rear end, re built the front end, lots of shop time, but all warranty covered. 99 tahoe has been good, replaced fuel pump, spider injection harness, water pump, Rt rear axle. Bought a 05 Nissan Sentra brand new, 184,000 miles and still going strong. Had to have the tranny pulled and worked on at 62,000.  Point being, in my days of car ownership, the Nissan and the Fords have been in the shop the least of all the vehicles I have owned.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2018, 09:29:06 AM »
But I'll leave you all with this.....buy a tundra and don't worry about it 8)
:yeah:
:yeah:   Set it and forget it... Tundra
Don't worry about the frame rusting and collapsing?  There is a recall for that.
Don't worry about the bed rust perforation?  There is a recall for that.
Don't worry that the rear springs lose their arch and Toyota doesn't care....
Not much of a truck unless you just want a lift and 35s and stare at it.
Toyota is the most overrated brand on the road.
Only buy it for the styling.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2018, 09:51:01 AM »
But I'll leave you all with this.....buy a tundra and don't worry about it 8)
:yeah:
:yeah:   Set it and forget it... Tundra
Don't worry about the frame rusting and collapsing?  There is a recall for that.
Don't worry about the bed rust perforation?  There is a recall for that.
Don't worry that the rear springs lose their arch and Toyota doesn't care....
Not much of a truck unless you just want a lift and 35s and stare at it.
Toyota is the most overrated brand on the road.
Only buy it for the styling.

There is plenty of statistical, factual data online on vehicle reliability that proves Toyota is a very reliable brand.   

My personal experiences:

First Toyota: 1991 Toyota pickup.   I sold it to my friend for his kid to use in 2004.  After his son graduated college he sold it to his landscaper for his kid to use.  Had my friend in town last week, and he said my old truck is still in use by his landscaper's kid, with over 350K miles now.  Had to have the clutch replaced at 280,000 miles.  Not a single other major problem in 27 years of use thus far. 

Second truck: 2004 Tundra.   Still chugging along at 145K miles.   One recall that I remember for passenger airbag, which took a few hours to swap out at no cost to me.  That is the only issue in 14 years so far.....
never had anything break or need to be replaced other than the usual maintenance.  I love my Tundra so much that I've retired it to only a woods vehicle to stretch it's life span with less annual miles.  Bought a Ford Explorer two years ago for my every day vehicle, and the Tundra is for hunting/fishing purposes. 

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2018, 11:07:28 AM »
Keeping a car on the road and excellent design are two entirely different things.
I see a lot o 1967 Dodge Darts on the road, too....

The design and execution flaws in Toyota vehicles are glaring, if you look for them.

Frames rusting out...Rear springs that aren't....How do you ignore that stuff?
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2018, 02:24:23 PM »
Chev makes a fancy PU.  Dodge/Ram makes a truck.  Ford cant decide.
:rolleyes:
Ya...as long as you don't mind not being able to steer. Those Dodges are a hell of a truck once you modify the crap out of them and undo everything Dodge did.

Haven't had her to the service shop in 13,000 miles - My longest run since I bought her new in 2014.

So you're saying that you haven't been in the shop in 13k miles? Impressive  :o

Absolutely impressive!

Yer gonna blow 'er up if you don't get 'er in for a LOF!!
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2018, 02:27:19 PM »
Chev makes a fancy PU.  Dodge/Ram makes a truck.  Ford cant decide.
:rolleyes:
Ya...as long as you don't mind not being able to steer. Those Dodges are a hell of a truck once you modify the crap out of them and undo everything Dodge did.

Haven't had her to the service shop in 13,000 miles - My longest run since I bought her new in 2014.

So you're saying that you haven't been in the shop in 13k miles? Impressive  :o

Absolutely impressive!

Yer gonna blow 'er up if you don't get 'er in for a LOF!!

That happens in my garage!  Every 4k!  She's ready to run.  Haven't seen the Engine Light on in almost 4 months!!
No more exhaust and a RaceMe Tuner, she's breathing well!
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2018, 06:52:39 PM »
Dudes excavator broke down on site.  Hitachi.  Pape comes out to repair.  $$$.  Tech working and I ask him "its egr again huh?"  Yup he says.  Point is remove the Gov.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline magnanimous_j

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2018, 11:27:07 AM »
I'm sure Chevy makes a very capable truck. But when I was selling, we would get them in on trade sometimes and I thought the fit and finish was junk. 30k and the interiors would be trashed. The leather would be worn and creased, many times cracking. The dashes would be faded and cracked. The whole thing squeeked and creaked. And this was in Western Washington.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2018, 12:19:46 PM »
Yup....just dont feel the same behind the wheel.

At least you won't get lost and can be seen from the sky when stuck in the mud.......
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2018, 12:37:03 PM »
I don't have much brand loyalty, but here's my own experiences and rundown:

1984 Nissan King Cab 4 cyl - gutless wonder, worst truck ever
1985 F150 Xcab - 300/6, 3spd manual with a granny gear - the one that got away, best truck ever, wish I still had it.  Sold it when the girlfriend moved in and she needed a place to park (I had two other vehicles and a motorcycle, plus my state truck)
1990 GMC xcab - 350, A/T, great finish and comfort, too bad it overheated on steep hills in hot weather, changed thermostat numerous times - no fix
1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Xcab - 318, 5 spd manual - 2nd best truck - bought new, drove it hard for 12 years without a single repair, best clearance with stock tires of any 1/2 ton.  Fuel pump finally went out at 148k miles, only repair on that truck.  Only sold it because my son outgrew the Xcab, still see it driving in town
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab - 5.7l Hemi, A/T 108k miles so far.  Most comfortable truck ever, but lost at least 4 1/2" less clearance compared to the 1997.  Got the lifetime powertrain warranty, which is good because otherwise I'd be out of pocket over 6k so far.  Tows GREAT, fun to accelerate though I'm not a fan of the wire drive delay.  Unless I wreck it plan to keep it forever, but it's not perfect by any stretch.  Key fobs are a POS that stop working the locks after 1-2 years, replaced two under warranty and declined $250/pop to keep replacing them - at least there is a key in the fob to unlock manually, and it still works after the electronics die to start the truck

I've also had several state, county and university rigs:
1986 Chevy 1/2 ton and 1990 GMC 1500 Xcab, both 350 ATs - the Bighorn Mountains ate both of these trucks in less than 20,000 miles each of rough roads.  The guys at the tow/repair shop in Buffalo, after a few 4-5 hour round trips to fetch these broke down wonders, taught me to use the rollback and would let me take it and fetch them myself.  Murica! 
1992 F250 - V8 5spd MT good tough truck but MAN did it ride rough! 
1996 Ram 1500 360 5spd MT good tough truck and much nicer ride, this is the one that inspired me to buy the 1997 for myself
2001 Ford Expedition - what a POS
2000 Chevy 1500 Xcab - nice riding truck, towed well, lots of plasticky junk that cracked, broke or stopped working.  Lousy clearance, but the powertrain was durable and dependable - except the electronic hubs which had a bad habit of not working when it would have been really nice to have 4wd (same for the 1990 GMC)
2008 Chevy 1500 Crew cab - great dependable truck, don't recall ever having an issue
2016 Chevy 1500 Crew cab - so far so good, hate the wire drive delay and not as powerful as predecessor

If I do buy another truck, I'm really tempted to find another mid-80s F150 with the 300/6, MT and 4.11 rear.  Super easy to work on, and I still miss my first good truck.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2018, 12:52:38 PM »
2007 Tundra 4.7L V8. I like it a lot more than that POC Grand Cherokee Laredo money pit.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline BlacktailBuck

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2018, 10:06:07 AM »
My dad bought Ford after Ford after Ford.  He once told me before he passed ...." I will continue to buy a ford until I get a good one.
2 Corinthians 9:15; Thanks be to God for His indescribable gifts.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2018, 11:16:14 AM »
1 ton Ford with the 7.3 and you can tow anything. You can't tow 7 tons of hay over the pass with a Tundra.  :chuckle:

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2018, 11:23:07 AM »
1 ton Ford with the 7.3 and you can tow anything. You can't tow 7 tons of hay over the pass with a Tundra.  :chuckle:
Sure you can, just make multiple trips   :dunno: :chuckle:
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]