collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Back to deer this year  (Read 1131 times)

Offline sumpnz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Back to deer this year
« on: April 14, 2018, 04:14:14 PM »
Since I've got 4 kids, SWMBO said I had to pick deer or elk.  I chose elk.  It's worked out well.  With my elk hunting crew we've taken 4 elk in the last 5 years.

Planning was already well underway for 2018 hunting.  However, my best friend never got the vasectomy he was supposed to, and now his wife is due right smack in the middle of elk season.   :bash:

Plans were being adapted to being down a man.  But then our other elk hunting buddy just told us he got blindsided with a divorce petition from his wife.   :'(  He's fighting to save it, but that is very uncertain at this point.  If you're the praying type he'd appreciate all the prayer support he can get.

So, looks like I'm on my own this year for hunting.  No biggie.  Figure I'll just switch to deer for this year.  I'll have 9 points in the quality deer draw, so going to probably put in for the rut hunt in 218.  I've hunted general season there quite a few times, though not as much lately as I had been before kid #3. 

If I don't draw the quality tag I'll have to decide if I want to hunt 218 again like before, or try another area.  Likely to try another area as there's some of 426 I really want to explore.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Back to deer this year
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 04:51:22 PM »

Just my opinion here :tup:, 218,224 etc. etc pretty much everywhere in the Methow are slammed with predators, especially cougars. The herd is in the worst shape I myself have ever seen it(over 50 years worth of experience). Not trying to be a negative person or trying to push you to a different area, its just that bad! I have spent over 50 years hunting the valley from one end to the other and my family has hunted it starting in 1917 until now. If you haven't hunted it in awhile it isn't even close to what it was like(just FYI). Sorry for the bad report, but I,m sure you will hear the same from others that know, live and spend a lot of time here, sorry.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal