collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 18 Bull points  (Read 6889 times)

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: 18 Bull points
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 07:41:38 AM »
Thank you to those who’ve contributed input, and PMs. Here are a few of my thoughts:

- I understand that odds of drawing a good permit with 18 points are still very low: around 3% to 5% for most of the hunts I’m considering. Having 18 points is sort of “no man’s land” where you don’t want to throw away the points on a mediocre hunt, but don’t really have enough to have excellent odds of drawing a quality permit - but still hold out hope you will. Given that, this is probably a “one and done” with Bull permits. I’ll probably not apply again once drawn.

- I care little about the size of the animal. I’m more concerned about the quality of the hunt than the animal. A quality hunt to me means good odds of seeing some animals and not being overrun by other hunters.

- I am considering applying in areas I’m not completely familiar with. If drawn I will do my homework.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline dreamingbig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 10:46:35 PM »
Eastside or Westside, Modern or Muzzleloader (I have multi-season elk): what permits would you consider applying for?
Your favorite!  Good luck and may the draw odds be with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 06:49:14 AM »
Depends on what class of bull your looking for. If your just want a 320 bull any of those units have them and some 350 bulls. Its just a matter of doing your homework or hiring someone to do it for you. The tags are hard to come by and harder to swallow. I suggest having more than one plan just in case, could be another bad fire season.
Just a 320? I'm all for harvesting mature animals but there's more to life than antler score.  You come across as to discount the hunt aspect of it. Many "dream" hunts end with less than 320 bulls.
very, very true
I believe I said depends on what your after, I do agree and always have said its about the hunt and not the size of the animal. I have killed 360+ Bulls and a lot smaller Bulls, and with saying that my most memorable hunt was with my Dad and brother and a 300 Bull. But as a Outfitter hunters are always asking % of kills and average size of the bulls we are taking.
KD

Offline Falcon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 06:50:13 AM »
Depends on what class of bull your looking for. If your just want a 320 bull any of those units have them and some 350 bulls. Its just a matter of doing your homework or hiring someone to do it for you. The tags are hard to come by and harder to swallow. I suggest having more than one plan just in case, could be another bad fire season.
Just a 320? I'm all for harvesting mature animals but there's more to life than antler score.  You come across as to discount the hunt aspect of it. Many "dream" hunts end with less than 320 bulls.

:yeah:
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 06:56:20 AM »
What part of depends on what your after you guys dont understand. Falcon and Tbar
KD

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 07:03:55 AM »
If I see a 320 bull in wyoming it just might go down, my goal is to break 330, but 10'' wont disappoint me too much.  I don't think a lot of people understand how nice a 320'' bull is, good luck in the draw!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 08:46:06 AM »
What kind of hunting do you want to do? More front country or more back country
-Matt

Offline SkookumHntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 10:29:48 AM »
I will have 23 bull points in the draw this year, and I always apply for the midrange draw odds hunts! Maybe 2018 will be my year!  :o
IBEW89 RMEF MDF CCA

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 08:06:21 AM »
Thank you to those who’ve contributed input, and PMs. Here are a few of my thoughts:

- I understand that odds of drawing a good permit with 18 points are still very low: around 3% to 5% for most of the hunts I’m considering. Having 18 points is sort of “no man’s land” where you don’t want to throw away the points on a mediocre hunt, but don’t really have enough to have excellent odds of drawing a quality permit - but still hold out hope you will. Given that, this is probably a “one and done” with Bull permits. I’ll probably not apply again once drawn.

- I care little about the size of the animal. I’m more concerned about the quality of the hunt than the animal. A quality hunt to me means good odds of seeing some animals and not being overrun by other hunters.

- I am considering applying in areas I’m not completely familiar with. If drawn I will do my homework.

In response to the above, I would look at a muzzleloader hunt rather than a rifle. Better time if year to find elk and less people running around. If it were me, I would pick the observatory Muzzy tag. It’s a fun hunt.

“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 08:23:15 AM »

In response to the above, I would look at a muzzleloader hunt rather than a rifle. Better time if year to find elk and less people running around. If it were me, I would pick the observatory Muzzy tag. It’s a fun hunt.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, the only Observatory hunt in the "Bull Elk" category is for Modern. The muzzleloader hunt is in "Quality".
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 12:38:03 PM »

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, the only Observatory hunt in the "Bull Elk" category is for Modern. The muzzleloader hunt is in "Quality".
did they take it away?  i thought before there was a muzzy bull tag that actually was good through the next weekend as well.

Offline MonstroMuley

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2018, 11:07:25 AM »
"Everyone has a Gut Pile..." - "The Nuge" (TN)

Offline Igottanewknee

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 07:00:22 PM »
My daughter has 13 quality points..... yeah, she's 25...... any suggestions on that one????

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2018, 07:19:52 PM »
My daughter has 13 quality points..... yeah, she's 25...... any suggestions on that one????
Pray !  heh.  Put in for Toutle or Mudflow.   

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 09:47:39 PM »
Good throw of bait Bob33   :tup:
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter