collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bad Outfitters and what did you do?  (Read 7450 times)

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Bad Outfitters and what did you do?
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2018, 06:21:36 AM »
One tip is a outfitter only taking cash is a big RED FLAG.

Not necessarily . I quit taking credit cards when merchant services started taking 5% of each transaction and upped my yearly fee from $80 to $800 . I told them to kiss off. Cash or check only for me. Of course I am a small operation...maybe that is why the stiff fees.

Buck, you need to work with a better bank man! I pay less then half with no annual fee

We used to run 300-500k/year on credit cards at work and we were still shelling out between 2-3% annually.  If I were an outfitter, I would at least charge a fee for credit cards.  There is enough demand in this economy for them to stay busy - why give your margin to the merchant services company? :twocents:

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2018, 06:27:36 AM »
Simply a business expense not unlike the many other expenses on the P&L, just charge for the service / product according like all other busineses.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Netminder01

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2018, 07:31:53 AM »

Not necessarily . I quit taking credit cards when merchant services started taking 5% of each transaction and upped my yearly fee from $80 to $800 . I told them to kiss off. Cash or check only for me. Of course I am a small operation...maybe that is why the stiff fees.

Buck, you need to work with a better bank man! I pay less then half with no annual fee

We used to run 300-500k/year on credit cards at work and we were still shelling out between 2-3% annually.  If I were an outfitter, I would at least charge a fee for credit cards.  There is enough demand in this economy for them to stay busy - why give your margin to the merchant services company? :twocents:

I agree, even as I pack up and come visit you Rick, charges and fees for transactions should be passed on to the purchaser; just like PayPal does it.

The other post on fees - I also agree, they've come down so much due to competing services and generally very friendly to the SMB market. You should really get your website tuned up to accept payments (ahem!!!), one less hassle during the week and more time to spend with your pain in the arse customers from Seattle (ahem!!!).

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2018, 07:40:42 AM »

Not accepting Credit Cards is definitely reducing your client pool.  The protection using a cc offers can out way the cost of fees to some people.
Just build the fees into your rates and offer a cash discount to those who inquire. 

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2018, 09:13:28 AM »
In Utah outfitters only have to be licensed if they operate on public lands. If they only operate on private lands no outfitter license is needed. They do need a business license so you could contact the state and ask how they can help you? I would think the Utah state business licensing division can offer the best advice on what to do in Utah.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline dscubame

• Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2018, 09:18:12 AM »
If anybody took alot of money from me and not return it, I wouldn't pxxxyfoot around. I'd take my rearend down there and get it from him in person.     

:chuckle:

Internet tough guy meme goes here but mysteriously removed.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:52:15 AM by dscubame »
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Alaskan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Big hikes equal big horns!
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2018, 08:05:26 AM »
Appreciate the insight here. Looking at some new strategies with the state licensing board.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2018, 08:44:57 AM »
Why all the secrecy?  Why not tell the entire story with the name of the outfitter?  Just wondering........
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2018, 09:01:33 AM »
Sorry if I’m a little late to the party but I’ve indeed had the Outfitter from hell!  15 years ago my dad and and I purchased a New Mexico Elk hunt for two via a Rocky Mountain Elk foundation auction.  The hunt was with Non-Typical Outfitters in New Mexico, not to be confused with NTO in Wyoming.  Owner/Outfitters name is Adrian Romero, freely google his name and you’ll get a kick out of other online stories.

Cliff notes: the elk tags and mule deer tags he provided us were counterfeit!  We had no idea.  I got lucky and killed a small 5pt bull, the only elk we saw in 6 days of hunting.  Anyways, after 1 year of my elk rack not showing up I got RMEF involved along with New Mexic F&G.  As it turned out, the guy was a full-blown crook.  He got hammered and spent several years behind bars.  He got the book thrown at him, WAF&G should take notes on how to fully prosecute a criminal like him.  5 years later my antlers showed up on my doorstep via FEDEX.  Never thought I’d ever see them again.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2018, 10:29:45 AM »
Well atleast there was something good to come from a bad situation
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Alaskan

• Business Sponsor
  • Hunter
  • Big hikes equal big horns!
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2018, 02:47:36 PM »
Curly,

I’m not saying his name on this forum in case it goes to litigation (he needs no more help finding excuses to screw us via libel suite).

I have no problem giving you his name in a private message. Seems like bad people can have numerous ways to use and abuse the law.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal