collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Harvest stats  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Harvest stats
« on: April 19, 2018, 02:13:46 PM »
Been digging into harvest stats trying to figure out my starting point for this season and I’m rather shocked at some of the stats. How accurate do you guys think they are? I know I reported honestly (tag soup) and in the correct units but things aren’t quite adding up, I know it’s basically an “honor” system and guys will report false info but how much do you think is actually false? Do you guys take harvest stats into consideration when planning your seasons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SkookumHntr

• Frontiersman
Re: Harvest stats
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 02:22:42 PM »
I do!
IBEW89 RMEF MDF CCA

Offline EyeTooth

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 03:06:24 PM »
Yes

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 04:07:09 PM »
It's far better information than no information. :twocents:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 05:21:19 PM »
I do, fair assumption they are relatively similar accuracy across units.  You also have to look for units where a bunch of the harvest happens on private.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dreamunelk

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 05:51:34 PM »
It is statistically accurate.  My understanding is hunter reporting is not what you would expect it to be.  Unfortunately many do not report and there are the ones who just lie.  I think that is said.  Harvest reporting is the best tool they have.  So when hunters complain who is really at fault.

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 10:01:32 AM »
The state just needs to move to a system where in order for your TAG to be valid when punched you must register it online as harvested.  So these numbers are accurate

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 10:11:12 AM »
 :dunno: No internet in a lot of the places people get their harvest's.I would hate for the wdfw to force hunters to carry cell phones.Then it would turn into illegally hunting without internet.

QUOTE:                                                                                                                   (The state just needs to move to a system where in order for your TAG to be valid when punched you must register it online as harvested.  So these numbers are accurate)
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 10:15:24 AM »
It is statistically accurate.  My understanding is hunter reporting is not what you would expect it to be.  Unfortunately many do not report and there are the ones who just lie.  I think that is said.  Harvest reporting is the best tool they have.  So when hunters complain who is really at fault.
if used properly it is a great tool. I reported on all my tags and still had a admin fee.  :dunno:. Pisses me off. Donate thousands to them every year and charge me a fee.
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Online The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 11:24:26 AM »
I reported all my tags in December and then I got charged a fee and there is nothing I can do about it. I hate constantly whining about everything the wdfw does but there constant money grab gets old.  The hunter report thing seems kinda pointless really all they need to know is how many people are hunting in each gmu because they aren’t managing game by kill stats they are managing people and money.

Offline Peewee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 03:14:24 PM »
Same here, i reported n still got charged

Offline dreamunelk

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 03:51:44 PM »
For those that reported and got charged for failure to report.  I suggest you start sending some emails!   Sounds to me that maybe we start requesting a confirmation email or number when reporting.  I doubt it is intentional as some imply.  Maybe a glitch in the system.  I hear a new system is coming.  We should start asking for this feature.  I have to admit the thought of a new system scares me.  Sometimes I am pessimistic and think things can only get worse with change.

I also suggest you find out what you did not report on.  A guy I know thought he reported and found out the clerk at Cabelas sold him a useless tag that he forgot about.  Clerk sold him a damage tag.  He is kind of naive when it comes to Washington so he took the clerks word for it.  He has learned his lesson about listening to Cabelas staff. 

Offline Deerelk37

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 10:21:37 AM »
I wouldn’t mind a better system for mandatory reporting. My father law said in Wisconsin you had X amount of time to go to a check station to get your animal tagged and a butcher could not accept without such tag. Total number of licenses and amount of kill tags issued would be more accurate than a 10$ fee. The fee only to me shows that on the $’s are cared about, not animal populations.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 12:22:19 PM »
I wouldn’t mind a better system for mandatory reporting. My father law said in Wisconsin you had X amount of time to go to a check station to get your animal tagged and a butcher could not accept without such tag. Total number of licenses and amount of kill tags issued would be more accurate than a 10$ fee. The fee only to me shows that on the $’s are cared about, not animal populations.
That would work for tags that are filled, but I suspect the vast majority of tags that aren't reported are for unfilled or unused tags.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 02:03:06 PM »
For those that reported and got charged for failure to report.  I suggest you start sending some emails!   Sounds to me that maybe we start requesting a confirmation email or number when reporting.  I doubt it is intentional as some imply.  Maybe a glitch in the system.  I hear a new system is coming.  We should start asking for this feature.  I have to admit the thought of a new system scares me.  Sometimes I am pessimistic and think things can only get worse with change.

I also suggest you find out what you did not report on.  A guy I know thought he reported and found out the clerk at Cabelas sold him a useless tag that he forgot about.  Clerk sold him a damage tag.  He is kind of naive when it comes to Washington so he took the clerks word for it.  He has learned his lesson about listening to Cabelas staff.

You should be getting a confirmation number when you report. I do.
Bruce Vandervort

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10