collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: ladder test results, advice needed  (Read 4217 times)

Offline wooltie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
Re: ladder test results, advice needed
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 01:58:24 PM »
In a nutshell, and no offense implied, those results are randomly inconclusive and should not be relied upon for determining an optimum load.

There are at least two approaches to "ladder testing" that seem to have merit, at least with regard to precision shooting or finding your rifle's favorite load with a particular brass/primer/powder/bullet/seating/neck tension combo.

The first one basically entails shooting at a fairly distant target (400-500 yards) on a perfectly wind free day if possible while holding point of aim at the same place on the target. (This may not be possible or realistic depending upon the attributes of the rifle system and shooter ability.) Assuming constant enviro conditions from a cool barrel, the theory is that as velocity increases so too will the printing of your impacts. You are not shooting for group with this method. You're simply looking for a "node" where impacts appear to bunch together vertically. Preferably, one should perform this two to three times in order to obtain a reasonable understanding of which ranges of powder charges your rifle likes.

The second, which can be done alone or after determining the range of powder charges to investigate, simply allocate 4-5 rounds per charge and shoot for group. Pick the tightest group and run with it.

This is the approach I was/intended to use.  Same POA, consistent rests, 2-3 minutes between shots.  Albeit I could repeat the process from 200y instead of 100.  Looking for shots with close vertical, then move onto 4-5 shot groups per charges around those charge weights.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 02:08:01 PM »
I have tried with limited success at 100 yards, with hunting grade rifles.  If you can't get your signal (load separation) adequately separated from the noise (inherent rifle and shooting repeatability), 100 yards is a tall order for a good ladder test for garden variety rifles and possible inconsistent shooting conditions.  I didn't have a rest other than sandbags on a bench.

A longer distance would yield greater separation, which should make node discovery less like guesswork.

I did get enough of an idea to let me push forward with selecting which loads to further pursue with shooting for smallest groups.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 06:04:23 PM »
30-06, 165g accubond, IMR4350, 53-57g in 0.5g increments.

I have not zeroed the rifle for the given bullet weight, which is why all shots were low.

There was a slight cross wind, but I have not adjusted the scope horizontal.

At this point I was looking for a flat spot on three shots.  2, 3, 4 look flat.  8, 9, 6 look flat, but 7 dips down.  There's always that higher charge weight that shoots lower than the previous lower charge weight e.g. shot 7 lower than 6.

56.5 grains behind every 165 gr lead based bullet I have shot through three different 30-06's has been the best.  Bullet seated so just off the lands, pretty much max length for the magazine as it flattens the plastic tip a little on my ballistic tips.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 08:41:55 AM »
Try 3 shots of load #3 at 200 yards and then adjust seating at .010 closer - repeat, .010 farther , repeat.  Report back.   :tup:

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 04:38:59 PM »
I'd load it again and go .2 or .3 grain increments and shoot it over a chrono.  I think you're going to be hard pressed to find a velocity flat spot when taking .5 grain increments as most nodes aren't that big.  I don't even shoot my ladder tests on a target, I just strap the chrono on and shoot my ladder, then look for the velocity flat spots, and load up and hit the range for accuracy testing from there.

Offline wooltie

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2018, 08:54:56 AM »
I'd load it again and go .2 or .3 grain increments and shoot it over a chrono.  I think you're going to be hard pressed to find a velocity flat spot when taking .5 grain increments as most nodes aren't that big.  I don't even shoot my ladder tests on a target, I just strap the chrono on and shoot my ladder, then look for the velocity flat spots, and load up and hit the range for accuracy testing from there.

I did this while working on another load, same rifle.  Found a flat spot over the chrono, then loaded up five rounds to confirm and saw an ES of 15 and SD of 6.  Took this load and adjusted the seating depth, but couldn't find a group less than 1.25-1.5" @ 100 yards.  This was with a 180g bullet, so I switched bullet weights to see if the gun just doesn't like the 180gs.  Shooting .020" off the lands.  Haven't played the switching out powder game yet though.

This is for hunting, not target shooting, looking for MOA or less.

I had a lot of chrono data from different charge weights.  Out of a five shot group there is always that 1 or 2 shots where the velocity hits 30-40 FPS higher/lower than the other four shots.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2018, 08:59:42 AM »
180's have not shot decently out of the three rifles I have tried them in a 1917 Eddystone, a Remington 760, and a Browning A-bolt.  The 165's have been a much more consistent offering. For me, the only reason I would look at a different powder than 4350 is if I was going to all Cu bullets as my loads at 56.5 are already compressed a little and the longer coppers would maybe be too much compression.   :twocents:

Offline wooltie

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 12:19:52 PM »
The barrel might have just settled down too. Could be other stuff aside from the loads.

I've been seating the 180s .020 off the lands and cleaning using boretech eliminator. I always see some copper coming out.

I seated the 165s .100 off the lands and just cleaned the barrel...no copper whatsoever, no light blue green stuff.

Most factory rounds have a .125-.100 jump for my gun

Offline lord grizzly

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2018, 12:59:42 PM »
No detailed on what caliber you are shooting, but ALL the shots are low for 100 yards unless you are shooting patched round balls
point of impact is irrelevant in this test.  The target is merely a repeatable aiming point.  The task is collecting data, not hitting where you are aiming.

And one shot of each charge tells you nothing. Load um up again and get at least three of each. I’ve actually gone away from the typical ladder test for some time. If I have 9 different loads I’ll put up 9 targets and shot one each all the way through ( never three off the same load but one each fill all are shot) tha gets you where your trying to go a lot faster. And yes, shoot through a chrono or rally your not learning anything

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2018, 08:33:48 PM »
I stopped doing the “three rounds of each weight” thing when I realized I didn’t care about accuracy nodes at low velocity. Yes I realize that sometimes we want a light recoiling easy shooting load. That said, I believe most of us reload for high performance and consistency. In that case, why shoot all that powder for loads that wouldn’t interest the shooter ballistically regardless of accuracy.

Yes accuracy is the paramount factor in precise shooting. But by playing with powders and primers and seating depth a bit, it’s rare that one can’t find a spicy load that shoots tight groups too.

Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 05:18:36 AM »
I stopped doing the “three rounds of each weight” thing when I realized I didn’t care about accuracy nodes at low velocity. Yes I realize that sometimes we want a light recoiling easy shooting load. That said, I believe most of us reload for high performance and consistency. In that case, why shoot all that powder for loads that wouldn’t interest the shooter ballistically regardless of accuracy.

Yes accuracy is the paramount factor in precise shooting. But by playing with powders and primers and seating depth a bit, it’s rare that one can’t find a spicy load that shoots tight groups too.

:yeah:
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2018, 05:42:09 AM »

How do you fine tune around your upper end load then?  I do 3 or 4 shot groups around suspected upper node suggested by ladder test and quickload and watching for velocity plateau but maybe there is an easier way ? 

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2018, 06:01:31 AM »

How do you fine tune around your upper end load then?  I do 3 or 4 shot groups around suspected upper node suggested by ladder test and quickload and watching for velocity plateau but maybe there is an easier way ? 
i can't answer for the Jon but I do single shot ladder to find up node and preasure. Then group test that node. Normally have less than 30 rounds to find my load and tune it. Has worked well for me.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2018, 06:30:01 AM »
If that was shot at a further distance i would load 7.  Having positive compensation with higher velocity rounds is something i look for.  If your grouping is that size at 100, i would take and do a seating depth test to see if you can shrink that down and then back up to 300.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2018, 07:28:06 AM »
Good point - you can have a load that throws a faster round low at 100 that looks bad but at 600 that lower trajectory of faster rounds evens out.  Thats why a ladder at your max range is helpful.  Of course if you get your es down it doesnt matter much.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 07:02:34 AM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by blackveltbowhunter
[Today at 06:44:48 AM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 06:33:38 AM]

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]