collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A few thoughts on mountain goat permits  (Read 17952 times)

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: A few thoughts on mountain goat permits
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »
To all future goat hunters - watch them pee. Its the most effective way and can save you a ton of boot leather.
I watched one pee.  I had no idea what it meant.  Then Josh gave me a tutorial with charts and diagrams that he had on his phone.  Thank goodness had that.  After a lengthy discussion and 10-15 "I'm gonna shoot that goat" he finally did.  Absolutely smoked him.

Even with all the studying that he did on gender he was still nervous as all get out approaching the dead goat.

It was really important to Josh from a conservation standpoint to not shoot a nanny.  I really thought there was a chance that we were gonna walk away from that goat and go try to find another one.

The population is really fragile and it is important to shoot a billy.  I didn't get that before the hunt but after watching Josh be so strong minded about it I plan to be just as steadfast about shooting a billy if I ever "draw long before I am due".
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 04:27:16 PM »
To all future goat hunters - watch them pee. Its the most effective way and can save you a ton of boot leather.

This!!
It takes a lot of patience or just good/lucky timing.
Both of these, you were patient and I was darn lucky to see him pee, not to mention a little lucky to get across the rock face to where he was at.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline MisplacedAlaskan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 04:38:01 PM »
Get good glass...buy it, borrow it, whatever you need to do, get it. Look at the bases of the horns, billies have big bases, nannies don’t. In my experience this is the surest way to tell.

I agree that the long hair is the best part of the trophy, the nicest goats I’ve gotten have been in November and December. Good luck to everyone putting in, they are an amazing animal, my favorite to hunt.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 05:08:27 PM »
One tip I'd add is make sure the area you want to hunt has goats in it (before applying for the tag).  We hunted an area up above Mt Baker and just to the west of the North Cascades NP.  It had 10 tags available the year we hunted and 0 the next.  Didn't have the number of billies WDFW thought.  Also, check out the terrain first to be sure you can handle it.  The area we were in was the worst climbable stuff I'd ever seen.   Further down around Alpines Lakes has way better terrain.  The last goat we were after was a little over a mile from the parking lot and it took 8 hrs to get up there and 3 hours back down.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 05:19:28 PM »
I love seeing them,envy you all that have harvested them but ive never put in for it because i know i can't do it and wont have someone carrying me to do it.  :tup:

Great pics so far.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 05:25:03 PM »
Here’s mine 5.5 hours before we shot him.
I was not feeling confident with this view.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 05:41:42 PM »
Good advice Josh.  Big reason I wish it cost up front money to apply is the recreational applicant.  It's  $13 to apply so why not.    People need to be realistic about stuff like this.  A guy can get in real dangerous situations in that country if they aren't careful.  Not everyone is destined to be a goat hunter. 
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 06:42:34 PM »
Or spend the money and have an outfitter put you right on the goats and then does all the work for you afterwords. It is once in a Lifetime time tag...
KD

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 06:47:02 PM »
Josh, excellent post, information that most including myself don’t think about when applying.  Thank you, this is my year so I will invite you along!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline mp.hunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 06:53:00 PM »
Josh, excellent post, information that most including myself don’t think about when applying.  Thank you, this is my year so I will invite you along!

You need to draw your WA elk tag first...😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2018, 06:59:58 PM »
I can't wait to be the guy posting with the goat avatar in one of these threads. Thanks for the advice, whether it's here, bc, or ak I'm getting me a goat and I'll be sure to ask lots of questions of you fellas when I do.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2018, 07:04:50 PM »

shoot, the blues is going to heck, by the time I draw it, it will be the same quality of the toutle tag 😭.  Ghost pointing elk this year w wyoming elk a done deal.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline mp.hunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2018, 07:08:24 PM »

shoot, the blues is going to heck, by the time I draw it, it will be the same quality of the toutle tag 😭.  Ghost pointing elk this year w wyoming elk a done deal.

I hear ya, excited for your hunt in WY...good luck

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2018, 07:15:11 PM »
Or spend the money and have an outfitter put you right on the goats and then does all the work for you afterwords. It is once in a Lifetime time tag...

:yeah: this is an option for many guys that don't have the time to scout or aren't in shape to hike 10 miles per day.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline shanevg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 07:39:12 PM »
One tip I'd add is make sure the area you want to hunt has goats in it (before applying for the tag).  We hunted an area up above Mt Baker and just to the west of the North Cascades NP.  It had 10 tags available the year we hunted and 0 the next.  Didn't have the number of billies WDFW thought.  Also, check out the terrain first to be sure you can handle it.  The area we were in was the worst climbable stuff I'd ever seen.   Further down around Alpines Lakes has way better terrain.  The last goat we were after was a little over a mile from the parking lot and it took 8 hrs to get up there and 3 hours back down.

Oh man what I’d give to have some tags in that unit again! 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]