collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A few thoughts on mountain goat permits  (Read 17965 times)

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: A few thoughts on mountain goat permits
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2018, 07:46:09 PM »
Shanevg, didn’t you draw a goat tag in wa before?
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline shanevg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2018, 08:21:59 PM »
Shanevg, didn’t you draw a goat tag in wa before?

Nope. 21 points and counting.

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2018, 10:15:21 PM »
My little Bro also said screw it hes going to AK on a $10,000 + Goat hunt this year. To much for me with going to New Zealand next yr. He will be up hunting on his 50 B day. Kinda cool
KD

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2018, 12:06:08 AM »
My little Bro also said screw it hes going to AK on a $10,000 + Goat hunt this year. To much for me with going to New Zealand next yr. He will be up hunting on his 50 B day. Kinda cool

good luck to him, I'm headed for Alaska or Canada as soon as I can swing it for a goat
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline DeerThug

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2018, 07:18:00 AM »
Well said.  When I had my goat tag everything you said was what i experienced.  A tough hunt for sure.  I knew that waiting later in the season would bring weather that would be beyond my capabilities.  I spent almost every weekend in the summer in the back country deciding where to hunt and getting in shape.  And it is true it can be dangerous and not everyone can do it.

I was really lucky in finding a goat before the season that i wanted and was even more lucky to find him again when season opened.  By far the most memorable and earned hunt i have ever had.

Shoot straight Shoot often

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2018, 07:51:37 AM »
Wearing Levi's, that's something you don't see anymore.   :tup:

Online nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2018, 07:53:16 AM »
Mine was 1972, those good thoughts worked then and now, thanks

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2018, 08:30:13 AM »
Well said.  When I had my goat tag everything you said was what i experienced.  A tough hunt for sure.  I knew that waiting later in the season would bring weather that would be beyond my capabilities.  I spent almost every weekend in the summer in the back country deciding where to hunt and getting in shape.  And it is true it can be dangerous and not everyone can do it.

I was really lucky in finding a goat before the season that i wanted and was even more lucky to find him again when season opened.  By far the most memorable and earned hunt i have ever had.

I love that video. I've probably watched it 10 times.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2018, 08:34:27 AM »
Great video. Great thread.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2018, 08:46:36 AM »
I got lucky and drew a goat tag first try in 1993, I hunted my butt  off, did conditioning prior to hunting and was glad I did, my tag was in an area that has been closed an awful long time now Ruth creek. And I shot my billy way back in the sticks,had to spend the night on the mountain,had search and rescue called on us, hiked out a different way than we went in..... because of terrain issues (had to descend a chimney thingee that was un climbable). I was 25 years old, I'd never do it again,one is more than enough,meat was horrible and experience memorable. I had a gun rack made out of the front hooves/legs and a shoulder mount. If I had it to do again...... 1/4 mount with a front leg standing on a rock shelf., take pictures, I didn't and they are only in my mind. Use a big gun, mine was marginal ,7mm rem mag, 3 inch group in his boiler room hardly phased him at 300 yards, he ran and jumped. My buddy lives in alaska, he blew the heart out of a goat 2 years ago, a small billy, uses his brown bear gun 375 hh mag, his goat also ran 75 yards after being shot. They are tough,and don't have the freak out when shot like sheep or whitetails, they soak it up. Shanevg has most likely had his boots where mine have been. Good luck to all potential draw recipients. Start working out NOW!

Offline Ironhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2018, 09:01:50 AM »
Great Post Josh, Thank you for the great information. I am at max points for goat and not holding my breath for a tag in Washington any time soon. So I put a deposit down to hunt goats in AK. The total cost of the hunt not including gratuities and commercial air line tickets is 4,250.00.  Sorry I cant divulge the name of the outfitter but hunts like these come up from time to time. Good luck to all in their quest for a Mountain Goat.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2018, 09:02:59 AM »
Great Post Josh, Thank you for the great information. I am at max points for goat and not holding my breath for a tag in Washington any time soon. So I put a deposit down to hunt goats in AK. The total cost of the hunt not including gratuities and commercial air line tickets is 4,250.00.  Sorry I cant divulge the name of the outfitter but hunts like these come up from time to time. Good luck to all in their quest for a Mountain Goat.

So that means you're gonna draw WA this year too then. When you do, let me know. I'm there.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Ironhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2018, 09:10:47 AM »
Y

So that means you're gonna draw WA this year too then. When you do, let me know. I'm there.

You will be the first one I call!
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2018, 09:17:34 AM »
This year will be even harder for backpackers in the Goat Rocks due the east and west permits.  Eastside not much access without stock and the 1000 line gone...But some real nice Goats up there.
KD

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2018, 10:02:31 AM »
This year will be even harder for backpackers in the Goat Rocks due the east and west permits.  Eastside not much access without stock and the 1000 line gone...But some real nice Goats up there.

1000 road and 1502 scheduled to be open Nov 1 2018.  Wildcat 2020.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]