collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: When should you consider “all hope is lost?”  (Read 12400 times)

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: When should you consider “all hope is lost?”
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2018, 06:34:19 AM »
At least they kept my 600 “Washtucna” unit antlerless tags...death to all mule deer!!!
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2018, 07:45:56 AM »
Local whitetail fawn numbers have been a small fraction of normal the last few years, no research or explanation from WDFW.  That perfect storm idea may fit for more than elk and moose. 

Offline buglebrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2018, 09:07:25 AM »
Without a serious change in predator management all hope is seriously lost.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2018, 09:23:56 AM »
I can't imagine giving up hope on Washington. There's still plenty of good hunting opportunity but it takes more effort in some instances.

in 1997 overall general season elk harvest success in Washington was 6.3%. It was 7.8% last year.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2018, 11:48:12 AM »
Never give up hope,hunt as much as you can....even if it means hunting in wa....just spotted an absolute masher bull the other day in a really horrible unit....not so horrible anymore !

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2018, 01:26:19 PM »
I can't imagine giving up hope on Washington. There's still plenty of good hunting opportunity but it takes more effort in some instances.

in 1997 overall general season elk harvest success in Washington was 6.3%. It was 7.8% last year.

I’m not saying giving up hope on Washington having quality animals, I’m asking who’s giving up hope of ever drawing a tag and getting the chance to hunt for one of these quality animals. If the herds are supporting less tags that means less people will get a chance to hunt them.

Keep in mind that the 1997 numbers were pretty bad due to the winter kill of 96-97. However after that the herds climbed until the mid 2000’s and we haven’t seen much of an upward swing since then. Also 2 of the last 3 winters have been relatively mid for the winter range so the cut to the tags and seasons seems a bit odd.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2018, 02:27:39 PM »

I’m not saying giving up hope on Washington having quality animals, I’m asking who’s giving up hope of ever drawing a tag and getting the chance to hunt for one of these quality animals. If the herds are supporting less tags that means less people will get a chance to hunt them.

Keep in mind that the 1997 numbers were pretty bad due to the winter kill of 96-97. However after that the herds climbed until the mid 2000’s and we haven’t seen much of an upward swing since then. Also 2 of the last 3 winters have been relatively mid for the winter range so the cut to the tags and seasons seems a bit odd.
It could well be more difficult to draw tags now than 20 years ago. I believe the changes made to the draw system in 2010 were a serious mistake that made it more difficult to draw quality tags.

General season harvest numbers have shown a slight upward trend over the 20 year time period
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2018, 02:56:56 PM »
Don't drink kool aid.  Access is way down.  Cost is up.  Elk #s on decline.  Permits harder to draw.  All facts so do tell how its better, the same or improving??? % isn't a good barometer. 8% of 100 is 8.  6% of 500 is 30.  With hunters declining it will increase draw odds however and maybe increase the % so we can claim its all good.. :chuckle: It sucks, face facts.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2018, 04:56:37 PM »
All isn't lost, but only complaining won't help. The fact is that not enough folks are involved with conservation orgs or with sportsmen advocacy groups.

Most are skeptical of the WDFW. I under stand why.  Whom do you trust to shoot it to you straight? Do you belong to any kind of sportsmen/conservation group? Do they have some one whom attends local gov meeting in regards to sportsmen issues? If not help out. If they do the help those folks spread the information.

The Yakima herd 2 years ago had a bad winter kill. This last winter was super light and elk didn't come down to the lower levels so the herd could be surveyed. We don't know the herds health but should his fall.

If your not going to get I evolved in an organization then at a bare min you should start stacking up predators.  If you give up on deer and elk buy a cougar tag with small game and rain hot death of coyotes, bobcats and Cougars. 2c

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2018, 05:50:55 PM »
I'll only consider "all hope is lost" when I can no longer hunt anything and all seasons are closed for good.  That's not happening anytime soon.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2018, 05:53:49 PM »
If nothing else at least we will probably always have good predator hunting. 

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2018, 05:59:21 PM »
When the day comes that Wa isn't a Liberal cesspool I will have hope again, until then I just see it for what is.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
When should you consider “all hope is lost?”
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2018, 07:08:23 PM »
When the day comes that Wa isn't a Liberal cesspool I will have hope again, until then I just see it for what is.

Great. More permits for the rest of us.

Hey. Just trying to stay positive.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2018, 07:15:28 PM »
As long as I'm upright above ground there is hope..

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2018, 07:26:53 PM »
All isn't lost, but only complaining won't help. The fact is that not enough folks are involved with conservation orgs or with sportsmen advocacy groups.

Most are skeptical of the WDFW. I under stand why.  Whom do you trust to shoot it to you straight? Do you belong to any kind of sportsmen/conservation group? Do they have some one whom attends local gov meeting in regards to sportsmen issues? If not help out. If they do the help those folks spread the information.

The Yakima herd 2 years ago had a bad winter kill. This last winter was super light and elk didn't come down to the lower levels so the herd could be surveyed. We don't know the herds health but should his fall.

If your not going to get I evolved in an organization then at a bare min you should start stacking up predators.  If you give up on deer and elk buy a cougar tag with small game and rain hot death of coyotes, bobcats and Cougars. 2c

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I’m involved in the RMEF and the WSB and I comment on the proposed rule changes and have attended the WDFW meetings. On top of that I spent this morning trying to get a bear removed from Kapowsin. I would consider myself complaining about the way things are going and I am open to ideas on how to make change. Is there something more that we should be doing?  If I knew where to be and what to say I will be there, let me know.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]