collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: When should you consider “all hope is lost?”  (Read 12405 times)

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: When should you consider “all hope is lost?”
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2018, 07:31:28 PM »
It would be easier to draw with fewer hunters, but I believe our future depends on developing and nurturing more hunters. More and more urbanization, less acceptance of hunting.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2018, 08:13:17 PM »
All isn't lost, but only complaining won't help. The fact is that not enough folks are involved with conservation orgs or with sportsmen advocacy groups.

Most are skeptical of the WDFW. I under stand why.  Whom do you trust to shoot it to you straight? Do you belong to any kind of sportsmen/conservation group? Do they have some one whom attends local gov meeting in regards to sportsmen issues? If not help out. If they do the help those folks spread the information.

The Yakima herd 2 years ago had a bad winter kill. This last winter was super light and elk didn't come down to the lower levels so the herd could be surveyed. We don't know the herds health but should his fall.

If your not going to get I evolved in an organization then at a bare min you should start stacking up predators.  If you give up on deer and elk buy a cougar tag with small game and rain hot death of coyotes, bobcats and Cougars. 2c

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I’m involved in the RMEF and the WSB and I comment on the proposed rule changes and have attended the WDFW meetings. On top of that I spent this morning trying to get a bear removed from Kapowsin. I would consider myself complaining about the way things are going and I am open to ideas on how to make change. Is there something more that we should be doing?  If I knew where to be and what to say I will be there, let me know.
Convince more people to take one step like you have. Things arnt well but all isn't lost.

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2018, 08:47:07 PM »
All the best habitat in the world isn't going to help if an area is in a predator pit. 

The habitat is fine in most areas, or rather, it's not up to carrying capacity so we need to keep that in the back of our minds (Yes, It's ALWAYS a good idea to improve habitat) but that isn't where the most need is currently. 

We must have predator control.   Higher success rates will draw more hunters, more game means more successful draws. 

Killing predators and reducing cow/doe tags is how you build herds, once the herd is robust improving habitat can increase the herd even more, but we're a long ways off from focusing mostly on habitat even though it's sexy and leftist friendly to talk about habitat. 

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2018, 09:26:47 PM »
All the best habitat in the world isn't going to help if an area is in a predator pit. 

The habitat is fine in most areas, or rather, it's not up to carrying capacity so we need to keep that in the back of our minds (Yes, It's ALWAYS a good idea to improve habitat) but that isn't where the most need is currently. 

We must have predator control.   Higher success rates will draw more hunters, more game means more successful draws. 

Killing predators and reducing cow/doe tags is how you build herds, once the herd is robust improving habitat can increase the herd even more, but we're a long ways off from focusing mostly on habitat even though it's sexy and leftist friendly to talk about habitat. 

i couldn't agree more!
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2018, 09:44:31 PM »
 :yeah:

There’s too many predators in too many places.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2018, 06:48:36 AM »
KF does way more than most, his work on a large scale with accurate predator management would make a big difference, try to float that with Jay,s office.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2018, 10:53:56 AM »
When the day comes that Wa isn't a Liberal cesspool I will have hope again, until then I just see it for what is.

Great. More permits for the rest of us.

Hey. Just trying to stay positive.
No its not.... I have never contributed to the mafia system of Wa.  I recognized a spade years ago.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2018, 12:10:46 PM »
So you don’t hunt here?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2018, 01:38:43 PM »
So you don’t hunt here?
I hunt here just don't pay extra for the draw permitts. I'm guessing that's what he is saying.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 10:20:45 PM by Special T »
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2018, 01:47:57 PM »
So you don’t hunt here?
Never applied for specials.  Never bought Disc pass.  Didn't hunt last year for first time in long time.  Work had some to do with that besides frustration.  Not hunting Wa this year either. I choose to support a state that respects hunters and outdoor lifestyle.  I would love to fight in Wa but to be honest it is hopeless.  WAY to many Libs.  We can settle for whats left and lie to ourselves all we want but its true this state has went to ---- and isn't coming back from abyss.  I have 44 years in this state to know what has been lost and I did not live in the city.  All have perspectives and many are uber positive and I only know what I have lived.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2018, 02:24:54 PM »
We had record numbers of elk in Yakima county until WDFW went full retard and issued thousands of cow tags for muzzy and rifle.  Top that off with otc cows early and late archery.  Then big winter of 2016 and all of a sudden we go from like 13k animals to 8k.  Well duh!!!! 

That said, herds will always spike and fall.  To say the sky is falling and there's no hope is silly.  It's a breeding renewable resource folks.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2018, 03:17:28 PM »
We had record numbers of elk in Yakima county until WDFW went full retard and issued thousands of cow tags for muzzy and rifle.  Top that off with otc cows early and late archery.  Then big winter of 2016 and all of a sudden we go from like 13k animals to 8k.  Well duh!!!! 

That said, herds will always spike and fall.  To say the sky is falling and there's no hope is silly.  It's a breeding renewable resource folks.
full retard!! You never go full retard!
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2018, 04:54:59 PM »

Can anybody name a unit with increasing elk #'s over last 5-10 years?

418, 437, 426, 448

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2018, 06:18:36 PM »
It would be easier to draw with fewer hunters, but I believe our future depends on developing and nurturing more hunters. More and more urbanization, less acceptance of hunting.

:yeah:  That is absolutely one of the biggest determining factors. Unless our Hunter ED system is set up to teach more hunters than are dieing off each year then hunting will continue to decline.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2018, 06:24:26 PM »

This!!!

But tomorrow we’ll all get together and roast the wdfw for taking away cow tags.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter