collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for a mentor/hunting partner  (Read 4600 times)

Offline Hawkins1375

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Looking for a mentor/hunting partner
« on: April 20, 2018, 08:10:13 PM »
I’m in my early twenties and new to hunting. With what little time I got to hunt last year I can honestly tell you that a deep passion for hunting has been lit. I have done two hunts so far that being pheasant and waterfowl. I want to move on to big game or anything else really. I am extremely willing to work harder then the next guy on all fronts but a little lost on the stuff YouTube and forums can’t teach ie experience. My hopes are to be in the backcountry working hard to take home food for my family. Really just looking for somebody willing to teach a guy trying to enjoy what every passionate hunter lives for. I live on Whidbey Island so if anyone is in the area and wouldn’t mind an extra pair of packing legs just pm me. Info on how to find a hunting partner would be just as helpful and much appreciated. Also just want to say that this forum has already helped me so much. Thank you for that!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:59:48 PM by Hawkins1375 »

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
Re: Looking for a mentor/hunting partner
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 02:31:02 PM »
I've met all of my backcountry hunting partners while out hunting/scouting.

That's my advice haha. Just get out there.

Get way back and you'll meet the kind of guys that know what they're doing and are passionate about the outdoors.

All you need is a handful of dependable buddies and you're set.

In my experience backcountry hunters are notoriously tight lipped and tend to avoid sharing much of value until you prove you're capable/willing to approach the game like they are. That's part of the reason meeting in the field is what I'd recommend!

Good luck and maybe I'll see ya in the wilderness some day!

Offline Hawkins1375

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 07:08:35 PM »
I've met all of my backcountry hunting partners while out hunting/scouting.

That's my advice haha. Just get out there.

Get way back and you'll meet the kind of guys that know what they're doing and are passionate about the outdoors.

All you need is a handful of dependable buddies and you're set.

In my experience backcountry hunters are notoriously tight lipped and tend to avoid sharing much of value until you prove you're capable/willing to approach the game like they are. That's part of the reason meeting in the field is what I'd recommend!

Good luck and maybe I'll see ya in the wilderness some day!
That makes a ton of sense. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 11:49:54 AM »
Ditto to meeting folks in the field.  If you're planning to elk hunt in the Naches district, pm me.  I'm most certainly not a mentor -- only been at it for 2 years now -- but I'm always down for chatting and sharing knowledge of the terrain. 

So far, nearly everyone I've met in the field has been very open and willing to share.  So just keep at it! 

Offline Hawkins1375

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 12:42:31 PM »
Ditto to meeting folks in the field.  If you're planning to elk hunt in the Naches district, pm me.  I'm most certainly not a mentor -- only been at it for 2 years now -- but I'm always down for chatting and sharing knowledge of the terrain. 

So far, nearly everyone I've met in the field has been very open and willing to share.  So just keep at it!
Thank you for the info

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 09:02:21 AM »
Oh, along the same lines, if you meet people in the back country in awful weather, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a good experience.  I never really thought about it until this thread, but yeah absolutely -- we may be tight with info with random people, but if you run into me 5 miles back in wet snow, you must be cool enough to share tips  :chuckle:

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 10:02:22 AM »
I'd like to welcome you to the hunting fraternity and to this forum. Hunting is a lifestyle that can bring great satisfaction to you and your family for your lifetime. There are many types of hunting one can get involved with and there is sort of a fraternity of participants that participate and advocate for each type of hunting that exists. Honestly I have not found any type of hunting that I dislike, for that reason I support all forms of hunting.

You are not the first person to wonder how to meet other hunters or learn how to hunt. Joining this forum was a good move, lot of hunters have found long time friends through this forum, I am constantly amazed at how many good people are on the forum and how helpful they are to each other. Participate when you can and don't be afraid to ask questions about how to do something. Yes there are sometimes snide or arrogant remarks, just ignore them or report them to the mod team, but usually someone will eventually offer good advice in your topic or by private message that will be beneficial to you. But remember this, even with good guidance from others, the best knowledge will come from getting outdoors and learning from your own personal experiences.  :hello:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline cavemann

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 11:24:17 AM »
Everything Bearpaw said..  The best info you will get after posting is usually through the PM messages.  A lot of people will respond that way to avoid some of the negative stuff..  there is a lot of positive from this site and just focus there.  People are pretty willing to help and respond.

Offline smithkl42

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/smithkl42/
    • Would-BeTheologian
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 03:32:34 PM »
Leave trail cameras out in the woods :-). I've had a number of folks walk up to my trail cameras with messages on paper or on their phones saying, "Call me!" Met some great folks that way. (And unlike some folks, I haven't yet had any trouble with my cameras getting ripped off, despite never leaving them locked.)
"Marriage is a duel to the death, which no man of honor should decline." - GKC

Offline DJ_Mack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 08:00:19 PM »
Pm sent.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Offline DJ_Mack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 08:00:37 PM »
Oh, along the same lines, if you meet people in the back country in awful weather, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a good experience.  I never really thought about it until this thread, but yeah absolutely -- we may be tight with info with random people, but if you run into me 5 miles back in wet snow, you must be cool enough to share tips  :chuckle:

Words of wisdom.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Offline Hawkins1375

• Pilgrim
Looking for a mentor/hunting partner
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 06:02:34 PM »
I'd like to welcome you to the hunting fraternity and to this forum. Hunting is a lifestyle that can bring great satisfaction to you and your family for your lifetime. There are many types of hunting one can get involved with and there is sort of a fraternity of participants that participate and advocate for each type of hunting that exists. Honestly I have not found any type of hunting that I dislike, for that reason I support all forms of hunting.

You are not the first person to wonder how to meet other hunters or learn how to hunt. Joining this forum was a good move, lot of hunters have found long time friends through this forum, I am constantly amazed at how many good people are on the forum and how helpful they are to each other. Participate when you can and don't be afraid to ask questions about how to do something. Yes there are sometimes snide or arrogant remarks, just ignore them or report them to the mod team, but usually someone will eventually offer good advice in your topic or by private message that will be beneficial to you. But remember this, even with good guidance from others, the best knowledge will come from getting outdoors and learning from your own personal experiences.  :hello:

Bearpaw, thank you for the words of wisdom. Can’t tell you how much this forum has already helped me. I’m surprised everyday by the amount of whole hearted good people in this fraternity. All the positive makes it very easy to look through the negative. Again thank you for your welcoming and encouraging words.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 05:24:03 AM »
I would suggest PMing Bearpaw I am sure he could set you up with someone
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]