collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: No more animals, can't draw a tag and the world is ending  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
No more animals, can't draw a tag and the world is ending
« on: April 21, 2018, 03:54:45 PM »
The amount of negativity on this forum lately is unbelievable. With the arrival of spring and antlers hitting the ground, I would think most of us would be out getting some much-needed relief from the cabin fever and overall angst that winter time brings many of us outdoorsmen. However that does not seem to be the case. It seems lately that thread after thread ends up on the inevitable topic of "washington sucks, there are no animals, tags are too hard to draw and things are only getting worse." So to all of you out there who harbor so much distaste toward the current state of our hunting opportunities here in the Evergreen state I ask you, what are you doing to make things better? What conservation groups are you a member of? And don't tell me there's no point in wasting your time, that's a load of crap. Yes opportunities are dwindling. Yes access is going away. But there are also more conservation and volunteer groups doing more to try to mitigate these things than ever before! I wasn't happy with the number of mule deer that I had been seeing in my usual areas, so I went and joined the local chapter of the mule deer foundation. Not happy with public access? Join BHA. I certainly hope everybody out there who is griping about the elk herds are members of RMEF, the turnout at the Yakima banquet was dismal at best, in the hub of WA elk hunting.  We all know that leaving wildlife management solely in the hands of WDFW is not enough and seems to be destined for failure. So next time you're dropping $400 on a new pair of boots or a couple grand on a new rifle, think about dropping a hundred to try and give a little something back to the animals that we all love to hunt! Or better yet some of your time. I know there are a TON of guys on here who are already very involved, but I also know there are a ton who are not. If all you want to do is hunt and harvest and give nothing in return, then I have no sympathy for you and honestly think you have no room to complain. Happy hunting everybody.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 04:28:49 PM by Mtnwalker »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: No more animals, can't draw a tag and the world is ending
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 04:02:46 PM »
The amount of negativity on this forum lately is unbelievable.

So you want to make more negativity? 

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 04:05:54 PM »
 :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Both of you make very valid points.   :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 04:12:37 PM »
Being negative about being negative makes a positive. I learned it in math class.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
No more animals, can't draw a tag and the world is ending
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 04:30:41 PM »
I get more and more excited every time I hear somebody’s giving up on Washington. It only increases my odds of drawing another great tag this year.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 04:39:36 PM »
Mtnwalker I agree with your call to be involved. It is easy to be negative, and I know I've suffered from it. I'm active in my Archery Club Silver Arrow Bowmen who is a membr of the Washington State Archery Association. They are member of Washington for Wildlife Conservaion whom bands sportsmen orgs together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 04:53:39 PM »
Since you called us out on what we're doing I'll reply to that.....

I'm planting hay fields with different flavors of crops from legumes to oats and I'm leaving corners and strips for cover and feed, I do my hay crops like gigantic food plots.  The quail are going nuts, 30 years ago I had none, but now I could run bird dogs all day long.  I'm protecting riparian areas that does use for fawning out, the grass is 6 feet tall and they drop fawns in it.  I'm slaying any coyote I can, but occasionally one sneaks in but not for long.

Regardless of my efforts deer numbers are still dropping off, no matter what I do or how much feed I grow, or how much I help the deer with habitat, they are declining. 

The deer -no matter how good the habitat- just cannot keep up with the predators.  I live in a predator pit.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 05:47:55 PM by KFhunter »

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 04:55:01 PM »
Every Hunter has there own management plan , so to agree with other hunters,or groups may be hard.But always gonna be negatively between hunters on certain subjects.

With that said ,i spend plenty on mineral salt,corn,and other products to feed animals in areas ,been lots of times I have left a 6 dollar salt block and didn't even hunt that area come fall.But I would rather spend my money on benefits for animals in my own way ,being my reward in game can pics.
Call me selfish that way.
Anyway a lot of this comes from all the permit threads lately ,permits do suck,loser lounge sucks,but I'm putting my permits in,and hunting Washington,GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 08:36:49 PM by hunter399 »
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 05:24:37 PM »
Being negative about being negative makes a positive. I learned it in math class.

Come on Bob.  We all know they didn't teach math when you were in school.   :chuckle:
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 07:36:54 PM »
I am doing something about ! Im going to Idaho, Oregon and Colorado.... hehe  :tup: making odds better for those still here - unless I draw that is  :tung:

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 10:01:16 PM »
I'm supporting"The foundation for wildlife management".  They pay bounties to hunters and trailers for every Wolf killed. I have buddies that trap on the Washington border and collect bounties to pay their expenses.  About the best organization out there for dealing with the biggest problem.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 06:41:09 AM »
Thanks buglebrush, I think they have a raffle going for an impressive rifle, they deserve the help.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]