collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fly fishing group takes opratunity away from kids  (Read 4868 times)

Offline wapiti hunter2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Fly fishing group takes opratunity away from kids
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 10:06:24 AM »
Is fly fishing better than power bait fishing?

Depends who you ask and what you mean by "better"

No, and it is certainly a great way to get kids hooked on fishing. I still do it occasionally. Like Jackalope said, it is analogous to the hunting community. Is Archery better than Rifle? They get a better season.......They get to shoot cows (elk) when rifle hunters don't....Remember that for many types of salmon fishing and sturgeon fishing, the rule is already one barbless hook.

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 10:32:58 AM »
There seem to be two different takes on this subject, as with people, there are Givers and there are Takers.
Doug
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/37856/37856-h/37856-h.htm

Dr. William T. Hornaday, author of Wild Life Conservation, The American Natural History, Our Vanishing Wild Life, etc., and director of the New York Zoölogical Park, has sent me the photograph of the greedyman's catch—made near Spokane, Washington—with the following notes:

"The great trouble [in the matter of wasteful fish-catching] is not so much with the people who catch fish as with the brutally destructive laws that permit fishermen to catch four or five times as many fish as they should. There are a great many sportsmen who sincerely believe that it is all right to take all the fish and game of all kinds that the law allows. Whenever any destruction is waged on that basis I always charge it to the abominably liberal laws that in many cases seemed framed to promote destruction. Ninety-nine per cent. of the streams of this country very soon will be so nearly destitute of fish that fishing will become a lost art. In the Rocky Mountains the overfishing abuse is particularly vicious and destructive because in those cold streams the fish mature slowly, their food is very scarce and dear, and the fish are so hungry that they are easily caught. It is an easy matter to completely fish out a mountain stream in the Rocky Mountain region or in the Pacific States. In the State of Wyoming some very aggravated cases of wanton fish destruction by indifferent rod and line fishermen have lately been brought to my attention."

Dr. Hornaday is an Angler, and his views and practices are endorsed by all Anglers.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 10:39:15 AM by AL WORRELLS KID »
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ribka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 11:14:13 AM »

When I fly fish it is

:chuckle:

There are many variations to single barbless fishing

Helped many get into fly fishing using the clear bobber on spinning gear and a fly

Jigs and spoons small rapalas with hooks replaced work great for trout too

I learned to cast spinning rod age 4 and fly rod age 8

Is this another helpless kids thread?

No one can deny the amount of trash left at lakes that allow bait fishing

Offline banishd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 11:17:10 AM »
I love fishing 'fly fishing' lakes with my spinning gear. Get some nasty looks sometimes but I still follow the restricted gear rules. Had some great days when the fly fishing looks like it sucks. When I bring my kids, I just want enough action to keep them interested and having fun. Makes it harder for me when they cast a lot and get stuck or birdnest a reel but they will get better.

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 11:21:11 AM »

When I fly fish it is

:chuckle:

Of course...you're better at everything   :chuckle:

I imagine you fly fishing is like watching the last place jockey, with two wins under her belt, in the third race of the triple crown waving that little wand all over the place.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 11:27:30 AM »
I used to be the guy that showed up to the water, caught my limit and went home. It was great for awhile, some fish got frozen for later. When we had to move back across the country(wife was a travel nurse at the time), I had a limit or so of fish that I had to toss because there wasn't a way to keep them frozen for the journey. I'm sure we've all been there at one point or another.

This is when I decided to go the opposite direction. I do enjoy eating fish on occasion, but nowadays I only keep what I plan on eating that evening(if anything). For me - I find a lot more excitement and happiness in actually feeling a tug on the line and reeling in a fish... much more than I feel looking at a freezer full of frozen fish. To be able to go out and feel that multiple times in one day? I'd gladly make that trade. Besides, the fresh fish cooks up better and tastes better in my experience.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 11:38:02 AM »
Planter trout taste like crap. That's my biggest reason for releasing them. If I'm out fishing the salt and catch a nice king or silver and it's legal, it's coming home. Walleye, perch, etc...yummy. Bring it home. Trout from an essentially warm water lake...yuck.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 12:02:01 PM »
Planter trout taste like crap. That's my biggest reason for releasing them. If I'm out fishing the salt and catch a nice king or silver and it's legal, it's coming home. Walleye, perch, etc...yummy. Bring it home. Trout from an essentially warm water lake...yuck.
:yeah:Haven't eaten a planted trout since I was a kid.  Now I did eat a back country trout, assuming it wasnt planted, and it was awesome!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 12:06:01 PM »
:yeah: I can't stand trout, but blue lake up out if Cyprus is a nice little hike, it's a deep blue beautiful high mountain lake and the big ole trout you catch in that lake are actually worth eating, of course I build a small fire and cook them right out of the lake , salt pepper onion and lemon and it's on  :tup:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 01:35:18 PM »
The Redder the Throat, The better the Fight and The Wilder they Taste!
Doug
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline wapiti hunter2

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 03:14:50 PM »
:yeah:Haven't eaten a planted trout since I was a kid.  Now I did eat a back country trout, assuming it wasnt planted, and it was awesome!

I call them put and take trout. Taste like bad grits.

Offline stickslinger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2018, 05:49:12 PM »
Most of you are making valid arguments,  and yes the garbage is an issue but it is everywhere. My point is why shut it down. Supposedly there was a hush hush public meeting on a Tuesday afternoon that no one heard about unless you were part of the inner circle.  And yes I love to fly fish as well but have you ever tried to take a 5 and a 3 year old fly fishing? Not a great time. And yes I know it's not just fly fishing, but a little one with a rooster tail can be dangerous
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 06:39:02 PM by stickslinger »
RELAX,PICK A SPOT,SHOOT STRAIGHT

Offline Alex4200

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2018, 07:16:51 PM »
OK, I will admit, my post this morning was a bit on the sarcastic side. I guess the title of this thread set me off a bit.

Here is my take on this, and it is only my opinion, because I really don’t know all the facts.

#1 - this is a private reservoir, not a public lake. It was built for irrigation purposes only. It is operated and maintained by the Wenatchee Heights Irrigation District.

#2 - for years it was not opened to the public even though it is boarded on one side by public land. The state worked with WHID to get this opened up for public use.

#3 - the upper Wheeler Reservoir used to open to public access. The reservoir was shut off to the public because too many “nasty” things happened to the water quality there because of miss-use. This reservoir is a source of drinking water for Wenatchee Heights.

#4 - the fly fishing club was able to get the reservoir reopened for limited use provided nothing happened to degrade the water quality.

#5 - my guess is that WHID was fed up with what was happening to “their” reservoir and made a decision to shut off public access. Remember this is a private reservoir.

#6 - it is also my guess that the fly fishing club caught wind of the pending shut down and stepped up to provide a solution to keep public access partially opened based on what has taken place at Upper Wheeler Resevior over the last few years.

Again, these are all just my opinions. But the title of this thread is pointing a finger at one user group. And that user group probably did more to keep the water open to the public, although limited, than anyone pointing fingers.

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2018, 10:15:39 PM »
Instead of a worm under a bobber, I guess kids will have to fish a jig or fly under a bobber now. If boats are allowed on this lake then kids can troll any artificial lure just fine. No opratunity lost. They'll even have a better chance at bigger fish now.

Offline winshooter88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2018, 11:57:22 PM »
According to last year's fishing pamphlet that is good through June of this year (Black Lake) also known as Spring Hill reservoir is open from the 4th Saturday in April till July 4th under statewide game fish rules, from July 5th till October 31st under Catch and release selective gear rules. The WDFW web site doesn't show any emergency rule changes, so it appears that this isn't a new rule decided in the last few weeks.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]