collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: School me on muzzy elk  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
School me on muzzy elk
« on: April 23, 2018, 12:54:35 PM »
Hey gang,
   I’m super stoked this year to have drawn a multi season elk tag! I’m hunting ID with a buddy for early archery so I’ve decided to invest 100% this year into the early muzzy elk season here on the wet side. I can take the entire week off (luckily). I’m packing into my secret wet side backcountry area (I’m likely to be solo this hunt). I’m just not sure what to expect as far as elk behavior that time of year.?.. I’ve always hunted the first week of early archery..
   So not looking for spots or “where to go”, just looking for types of things to expect from hunting elk this time of year. I’ve got everything I need gear wise for this hunt and have done a number of backcountry trips, just need help with the best approach to elk hunting during the muzzy season. Also, is it generally crowded out there for the muzzy season?  thanks so much!

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: School me on muzzy elk
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 12:46:11 PM »
Wow! 101 views and not one reply.. I know what that means!! Muzzy elk is a nice kept secret! Haha.. well if you see a guy out there with a bow on the west side, it’s likely gonna be me! Say hi....

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 01:03:14 PM »
I’ve never encountered heavy rut activity or had much response to bugling. Certainly less than archery season. But have killed herd bull that was still with the herd. Others have reported better rut activity.

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 01:04:43 PM »
Don't think you need to change up your strategy too much.  There may still be some rut activity, but this seems highly variable. Hunt into the wind or lateral to it (hunt uphill in the mornings, maybe downhill in the afternoon/evening to keep the thermals in your face).  Get away from roads and even trails.  Listen for bugles at 3 am to locate herds and maybe do some night hiking to get within a few hundred yards of them before the sun rises.  Even on the west side, elk will still key on areas with water and with water-fed forage (wet meadows, etc.) due to the dry nature of our summers. 

Shooting sticks are always nice, but you will have to decide on that amount of extra weight!  Make sure you know your effective range from all shooting positions (offhand, kneeling, seated, seated with sticks, prone).  Check and double check your accessories (caps, speedloads, extra bullets, a few handfuls of cleaning patches, etc.) before heading off with a pack on your back. 

Best of luck!

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 02:57:08 PM »
PM sent
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 03:01:57 PM »
IME the Muzzy Season is just a little more hit and miss in regards to Rutting activity.  Most of the cows are already bred, but when one comes into Heat late it can still be super amazing.  I hunt it just like Archery, except that if the weather is nasty I look a little lower down the drainages for the elk.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 03:28:17 PM »
Awesome !! Thanks guys! Really appreciate the great advice!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal