collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Second deer tag question  (Read 6340 times)

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Second deer tag question
« on: April 25, 2018, 01:05:56 PM »
If you draw a second deer tag under the Any weapon category can you use modern firearm even if you have an archery regular deer tag?

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Re: Second deer tag question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 01:07:21 PM »
NO.  You have to use the weapon listed on your general deer tag.

You would need multi-season to accomplish what you are asking.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 01:07:41 PM »
I didn't know you could apply for a tag under a different weapon type than your general tag.

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 01:08:31 PM »
There are a handful of tags that allow any weapon choice to apply
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 01:14:42 PM »
I didn't know you could apply for a tag under a different weapon type than your general tag.
The " Tag Required to Apply" column deermines who can apply.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 01:48:53 PM »

So if I buy a left over multi after drawing that tag I could still use a rifle during the 2nd deer hunt I believe? A little confusing

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 02:06:43 PM »

So if I buy a left over multi after drawing that tag I could still use a rifle during the 2nd deer hunt I believe? A little confusing

Yes. But that's a really expensive doe!

Online Mfowl

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 02:07:02 PM »

Interesting question. You should contact WDFW on that. I would guess that you still need to hunt the 2nd deer tag with the weapon tag you had when you applied. So no MS during app period means you would be restricted to the tag you applied with.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 02:10:24 PM »
It is a bit confusing. There are two issues: (1) who can apply for the permits, and (2) what weapon may be used?

The answer to (1) is determined by what the regulations list in the "Tag Required to Apply" column. If it lists "Any Weapon" then anyone with any deer tag can apply.

The answer to the second is also answered in the regulations: "You may only hunt with the hunting method in compliance with your tag".

An example would be someone with an archery tag who applies for a second deer permit listed with "Tag Required to Apply" as "Any". If drawn he would be limited to hunting only with archery gear.

A multi-season tag allows a hunter to use any hunting method consistent with the hunt: someone with a multi-season tag who drew a second deer permit available to "Any" tag holder could use any legal hunting method during the hunt.

Online Mfowl

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 02:21:46 PM »
It is a bit confusing. There are two issues: (1) who can apply for the permits, and (2) what weapon may be used?

The answer to (1) is determined by what the regulations list in the "Tag Required to Apply" column. If it lists "Any Weapon" then anyone with any deer tag can apply.

The answer to the second is also answered in the regulations: "You may only hunt with the hunting method in compliance with your tag".

An example would be someone with an archery tag who applies for a second deer permit listed with "Tag Required to Apply" as "Any". If drawn he would be limited to hunting only with archery gear.

A multi-season tag allows a hunter to use any hunting method consistent with the hunt: someone with a multi-season tag who drew a second deer permit available to "Any" tag holder could use any legal hunting method during the hunt.

You would need to have applied with an MS tag rather than purchasing one OTC after being selected, correct?
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 02:29:57 PM »
Regs say second tag must be same weapon choice as your first tag, I would think that buying the multi season tag would allow you to use whatever method you want on the second tags that are open to any tag holder. But maybe not. Pretty good question.

If you get an answer from wdfw please post it up.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 03:45:35 PM »

You would need to have applied with an MS tag rather than purchasing one OTC after being selected, correct?
I don't interpret it that way. The tag that matters is the one in your pocket when hunting, and if it's a multi-season tag it should allow you to hunt with any weapon within any other constraints of the hunt. It doesn't matter when you got it.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 07:29:20 PM »

Yes. But that's a really expensive doe!

Ya but I could still use my multi for the regular deer this was just an idea to be able to hunt with any weapon for the 2nd tag if that makes sense! Ya I’m going to call and check it out tomorrow and get a firm answer. If they even know the answer to the question. I’ll post it up!

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 09:22:56 PM »
If you draw multi or purchase a left over multi tag you have to surrender your other tag if you have purchased it, so your multi tag has no weapon choice so you could use whatever weapon you want if you draw the 2nd deer tag during the 2nd deer tag dates. You could use a rifle during sept in the 2nd tag area if you want, as it is a valid weapon for a rifle tag holder with the 2nd tag. Multi allows you to hunt with whatever weapon is ok during said hunt.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:39:26 AM by Buckmark »
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 06:54:14 PM »
About five years ago I had multi and an any weapon second deer tag. I called and asked wdfw and they told me I was good to go on using a rifle on my second deer tag even though it was during archery as long as I didn't have my bow in pursuit of my general archery tag.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal