collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fall season will be much longer bag limit 4  (Read 7091 times)

Offline chuckster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Fall season will be much longer bag limit 4
« on: April 26, 2018, 08:12:17 AM »
I was looking at the new regs, and the fall season is now Sep. 1st to Dec. 31st. 2 hens and 2 either sex tags. So you can now shoot 6 turkeys and up to 4 toms a year, in the NE corner. If am understanding this correctly. I really wish it was 3 in the spring and 3 in the fall. Cause I don't really hunt turkey in the fall but sure wish I could buy anouther tag right now.

Offline scotrobe

• Tracker
Re: Fall season will be much longer bag limit 4
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 08:34:06 AM »
That's how I read it as well. That's great news.  :tup:

I agree with you though. I wish it was 3 and 3 also.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 10:13:52 AM »
Must be the way they want it-I notice you can buy 7 turkey tags. 

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 11:53:37 AM »
How hard of a hunt is the late season? If the hens are anything like they are right now it'll be a slaughter.

Offline MerriamMagician

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Success is the only option
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 12:46:29 PM »
I don’t hunt the fall seasons at all, the spring hunts are what I live for and I do too much big game hunting anyway to hunt them in the fall. I would urge most fall hunters to still try to target male birds. Lots of people shooting lots of hens will put a hurting on the population in a hurry.
Gobblers only, all jakes must walk

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 01:06:20 PM »
How hard of a hunt is the late season? If the hens are anything like they are right now it'll be a slaughter.
It's not really even a hunt the last part of the season-it's just a harvest.  I agree with the Magician, for the sake of the turkeys I hope most will target Toms.  It could be a real slaughter if everyone takes advantage of the large flocks you see in December and whacks 4 hens.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 02:12:57 PM »
This will make some land owners happy that I know. Only time I hunt fall or late is farms having troubles with them.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 02:28:13 PM »
This isn't a good thing for the birds on state land and other public access.  :bdid:

Offline BPturkeys

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 04:04:45 PM »
Not to worry, NE Washington has seen many many more nasty winter kills than what will happen this fall and the birds have survived just fine. Maybe this little extra harvest will be just a few less birds to die a normal winter kill death. One thing for certain, fall/winter birds sure do eat good...nice, fat and juzzie :tup:

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 05:46:53 PM »
Haven’t hunted the fall season in bout 10yrs. Not my thing I prefer Spring season that’s when it’s fun. Don’t care for the new rule, could be a slaughter over in the NE on the birds. The farms my dad hunts over in the NE had a lot of birds on them but over the years the population has been manages and back in balance, they took 4 Toms this Spring. Last fall I believe they took 3 or 4 hens. Management is key we don’t need a slaughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 06:28:25 PM »
Haven’t hunted the fall season in bout 10yrs. Not my thing I prefer Spring season that’s when it’s fun. Don’t care for the new rule, could be a slaughter over in the NE on the birds. The farms my dad hunts over in the NE had a lot of birds on them but over the years the population has been manages and back in balance, they took 4 Toms this Spring. Last fall I believe they took 3 or 4 hens. Management is key we don’t need a slaughter.

the flocks I see in ne you ain’t making a dent with out double digits numbers!  Fall and winter season we see flocks of 200-300 birds.  The locals refer to them as feathered rats
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 06:36:54 PM »

the flocks I see in ne you ain’t making a dent with out double digits numbers!  Fall and winter season we see flocks of 200-300 birds.  The locals refer to them as feathered rats
And many of those same locals deny people from hunting their property.  :twocents:

Offline The Gobble-stopper

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 07:42:11 PM »
I don’t hunt the fall seasons at all, the spring hunts are what I live for and I do too much big game hunting anyway to hunt them in the fall. I would urge most fall hunters to still try to target male birds. Lots of people shooting lots of hens will put a hurting on the population in a hurry.
  I agree, unless you are down on your luck and your belly is really aching for a meal. Save the hens for layin eggs. Do the sport, shoot toms and preserve our future... And have fun

Offline Hangfire

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 07:55:31 PM »
There is almost no pressure in the fall season now. Local farmers shoot on site when they get on hay stack. Dairy farmers can not have poultry on location, when they don't drive off they shoot. The cost of tags is limiting factor. Once snow falls it is not unusual to see flocks of 400 hens around building. If things do get out of hand the following year seasons can change

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 08:27:03 PM »

And many of those same locals deny people from hunting their property.  :twocents:
not the locals I help out. The roost trees have a 15’ circle of turkey carp 12” deep!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10