collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fall season will be much longer bag limit 4  (Read 7088 times)

Offline scotrobe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Fall season will be much longer bag limit 4
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 08:45:39 PM »
The birds on the east side are becoming a nuisance which is the reason for the increased bag limits. I’ll be there. 😀🦃

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 10:39:03 PM »
More turkey nuggets and target practice.  More animals to hunt in the fall,  yes!!! 🎯 :tup:
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 06:17:15 AM »
Please help lobby WDFW for a four turkey tag 'pack', fall hunt for, $20, yes they are an expensive problem and a risk to themselves at such high populations.

Offline Hangfire

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 11:23:14 AM »
I talked to local and Olympia Bio's at public meetings,  about that very thing this past winter (punch card). There seemed to be people within the agency in support of a multiple bird tag at about $20.  They all agreed the current price to high for the fall season. The high price is limiting hunting in fall.  We do not have near the hunting pressure we used to have. All the agents I talked to said this past years survival is the best they have ever seen.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 11:47:36 AM »
Might not appeal to some locals, but I know of several out of state people who would love to come take advantage of our high population density of turkeys in the NE but feel the out of state lic. tag price is just too high. Since many residents dont' seem to want to chase them anymore it might be economically sound to lure in some out of state money with an inviting lic. cost.. 

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 12:12:39 PM »
I don’t hunt the fall seasons at all, the spring hunts are what I live for and I do too much big game hunting anyway to hunt them in the fall. I would urge most fall hunters to still try to target male birds. Lots of people shooting lots of hens will put a hurting on the population in a hurry.

Exactly.  Be careful what you wish for and think is such a great deal.  Most at WDFW hate turkeys and if they had their choice would get rid of every last one of them.  Just a way of hoping they can reduce numbers.  As MM said....shot males only.  Lead hens are the flock's built in safety.  Flock goes where they lead them.  They are also productive birds as they are proven nesters.  Males are always excess.

"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 12:14:27 PM »
Haven’t hunted the fall season in bout 10yrs. Not my thing I prefer Spring season that’s when it’s fun. Don’t care for the new rule, could be a slaughter over in the NE on the birds. The farms my dad hunts over in the NE had a lot of birds on them but over the years the population has been manages and back in balance, they took 4 Toms this Spring. Last fall I believe they took 3 or 4 hens. Management is key we don’t need a slaughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the flocks I see in ne you ain’t making a dent with out double digits numbers!  Fall and winter season we see flocks of 200-300 birds.  The locals refer to them as feathered rats
And many of those same locals deny people from hunting their property.  :twocents:

Exactly.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline birdmanwa

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 12:35:41 PM »
I talked to local and Olympia Bio's at public meetings,  about that very thing this past winter (punch card). There seemed to be people within the agency in support of a multiple bird tag at about $20.  They all agreed the current price to high for the fall season. The high price is limiting hunting in fall.  We do not have near the hunting pressure we used to have. All the agents I talked to said this past years survival is the best they have ever seen.

I think the price of turkey tags is a joke. I love turkey hunting but it's dumb to pay around $20 a tag for a spring bird let paying $20 for a fall bird. Butterballs still taste better.  This state doesn't care about turkeys but like when people buy licenses. I don't see the fall hunting hurting the population. The weather during nesting will has a bigger effect but I don't like the idea of September 1st opener. The polts are still tiny.

The population in the NE is rebounding but it's not like it was pre 07/08.
Support WWA.

Offline Moe the Sleaze

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2018, 03:01:21 PM »
The state would sell a lot more Turkey tags if they did not require a small-game license to do so.  We should be able to buy them with our big-game licenses.  The cost of a small game license is what becomes prohibitive, not the Turkey tags themselves.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2018, 03:10:14 PM »
Moved Klickitat into the General season, which leaves 2 special draw choices.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline HookedOnQuack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 04:54:51 PM »
I don’t hunt the fall seasons at all, the spring hunts are what I live for and I do too much big game hunting anyway to hunt them in the fall. I would urge most fall hunters to still try to target male birds. Lots of people shooting lots of hens will put a hurting on the population in a hurry.

This is exactly what happened in the area of Idaho we deer hunt. Several years ago they opened it up during the fall for either sex and multiple birds. We used to see hundreds while out deer hunting and that following year you were lucky to see double digits in a week. That didnt last long before they put an end to it and the population has rebounded nicely but far too many people were just driving roads and slaughtereing birds that were all packed in under the trees out of the snow

Offline ribka

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 05:02:02 PM »
Reminds me ofWDFW’s management of the once plentiful mule
Deer in the state

Kill Most of the mule deer  does by
Issuing extra tags then wonder why deer numbers are down dramatically

In a few years the ones who want to shoot multiple turkeys every year will come on here and complain about the
Reduction in turkeys

Anyone else see a pattern?

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 09:01:45 PM »
Not going to be a long season.  Now required that you wear hunter orange during anyone the is a general rifle season going on.  Huge beacon saying I am right here turkey.  So that would break the season up if you ask me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2018, 06:05:23 AM »
I killed my #2 Tom this year wearing hunters orange. Came right in to 15 yards and never seen me
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline BPturkeys

• Hunter
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2018, 11:04:52 AM »
Not going to be a long season.  Now required that you wear hunter orange during anyone the is a general rifle season going on.  Huge beacon saying I am right here turkey.  So that would break the season up if you ask me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Most people...certainly not all.. road hunt or hide in blinds anyway so wearing hunter orange won't make even a little difference in the harvest number. And I am not so sure color of clothing really makes that much difference as long as your face is covered and you hold still...but must admit, never actually hunted turkeys in blaze orange...have you Russ?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]