collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Yellowstone trip, end of May  (Read 1216 times)

Offline GrampasGuns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: WWA, DU, RGS, NWTF
Yellowstone trip, end of May
« on: April 26, 2018, 08:43:19 PM »
Hey all,

I am getting married over memorial day weekend and leaving that Monday on a road trip with my woman. We want to do some fly fishing and looking for recommendations on awesome wild life viewing areas in Yellowstone. I read the Lamar Valley was good to see bison and bears.

Any good ideas for stops and spots to swing a fly from the shore and spots to hand a few hammocks?

Any help appreciated!
The deer are exactly where you find them, and no where you dont!

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
Re: Yellowstone trip, end of May
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 08:49:55 PM »
We went to Jellystone for honeymoon type getaway as well.  It was good.  We rented the Cabins in Ol Faithfull.  Lamar was great.  Ol Faithful Lodge was a spectacular old building.  Seen elk in the early morning and a wolf passed us on a road!  River has otter around in misc places.  Bison all over. 
MAGA!  Again..

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
Re: Yellowstone trip, end of May
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 08:59:47 PM »
Congrats on the nuptials. 

My input: You may have some snow.  Definitely rent a cabin/room if you can. Been to Yellowstone many times, a few in early June.  Snow every time.   I'd suggest renting a cabin/room if you can, for that time of year.

In terms of wildlife viewing....yeah you'll see plenty of animals once you enter the park.   Bison love to block the roads.   I've seen grizzly quite a few times, closer than I'd like, bring bear spray.   Lamar valley is good for wolf and grizzly viewing.   Last time I was there watched a wolf pack fight a griz for an elk carcass.  There is usually wildlife advocate groups set up with spotting scopes in the Lamar.  Most of them will let you look through the scope.   Or bring your own gear.

I've staid at most lodges in Yellowstone as well as a few campgrounds.  Both solo, and with my wife.  PM me for details.  I can give some good ideas in the Tetons as well if you're up for a round trip option.  Jenny Lake Lodge in the Tetons is an awesome romantic splurge....not cheap but amazing. 

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal