collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Multi Season dilema  (Read 4274 times)

Offline KNOPHISH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Multi Season dilema
« on: April 27, 2018, 10:29:10 AM »
Got drawn for MS, YAY. Now I'm wondering if I should put in points option for Quality hunt. Sure I can select a killer muzzy or rifle tag but then won't the MS be just a waste. I know what areas I want to put in for Q & would most likely be successful. But what if I go out on a archery hunt & tag out & now I lost all my points. What have you done?
I have Man Chit to do

Offline jstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Multi Season dilema
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 10:39:34 AM »
I’m in the same boat. If I draw the quality hunt I want, I still will hunt. I will Only shoot an animal that would be compatible with the quality tag draw.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:44:07 AM »
The benefit of the MS is that you can hunt all seasons and both sides of the mountain.  I would put in for muzzy and rifle permits.  If you shoot a masher during general archery you may burn points but you shot a masher.  If you don't put in for any permits and just do the MS and shoot one during archery you basically just burned your points on a MS and didn't really use it.  I would burn up every option you have and call it a win if you tag out during any of the seasons.  Maybe set your sights a little higher knowing you have more time and options than normal.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline KNOPHISH

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 10:58:08 AM »
Ya I could hold out... Not, maybe try to, shoot 1st legal bull. lol besides 1 of my Q hunts only has 1 tag, not likely to draw.
I have Man Chit to do

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 11:20:25 AM »
Odds of drawing Quality tags are extremely low: 1% or less in many instances. I wouldn't give up a year of applying simply because I had a MS permit. :twocents:

As stated a real advantage of a MS permit it that allows you to apply for all hunts: East and West, Modern/Muzzleloader/Archery.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 11:36:51 AM »
Odds of drawing Quality tags are extremely low: 1% or less in many instances. I wouldn't give up a year of applying simply because I had a MS permit. :twocents:

As stated a real advantage of a MS permit it that allows you to apply for all hunts: East and West, Modern/Muzzleloader/Archery.

:yeah: exactly. I got draw for multi season elk finally and I will apply for sweet eastern muzzle tags and then hunt western units if I don’t get drawn.

Offline Mossyoak

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 12:38:25 PM »

Like Bob said, the advantage in the Special permits is you can pick a GMU and apply for multiple weapon types.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 01:33:01 PM »
I drew multiseason and won’t be buying it before applying for permits. If I don’t draw a permit and think I may have extra time to hunt it I will buy it.

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 02:33:17 PM »
I drew multiseason and won’t be buying it before applying for permits. If I don’t draw a permit and think I may have extra time to hunt it I will buy it.

so I was wondering this as well, how does it work because you have to buy a tag to apply. so if you don't draw are you out the money for the tag you already bought?

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 02:53:24 PM »

so I was wondering this as well, how does it work because you have to buy a tag to apply. so if you don't draw are you out the money for the tag you already bought?
If he bought the let's say archery tag before the multiseason drawing was run he is good to apply for archery tags.  If he doesn't draw what he wants he turns in his archery tag and purchases the multiseason tag.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 03:58:45 PM »

If he bought the let's say archery tag before the multiseason drawing was run he is good to apply for archery tags.  If he doesn't draw what he wants he turns in his archery tag and purchases the multiseason tag.
:yeah:

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 04:44:19 PM »
Ok I was always under the impression if you apply for special permits you can’t switch after that. Have you guys done this in the past?

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 04:58:12 PM »
You can't switch choices after the draw. 
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 05:10:14 PM »
I know you can’t switch general tags after the draw but I believe you can purchase the multiseason up till aug 1 if drawn regardless of permit apps. If not I definitely won’t be buying it.  :chuckle:

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 06:34:54 AM »
The truth is that anyone who is counting on drawing any QUALITY or BULL tag in this state does not have any idea what the draw odds are. It’s probably a good general rule that your odds are 1-2% total...therefore it’s hard to know when your scheduled to draw a tag because it’ll be once every 50-100 years.
So fellow WA elk hunters...it’s best to plan your year around not drawing a tag...because you won’t. Fact. Don’t call me a hater, I’m just trying to help. Have a nice day :hello:
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101