collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Permit changes - youth without hunters ed can no longer build points  (Read 11422 times)

Offline WA1232

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
I'm disappointed that WDFW changed the rules and patents with small kids can no longer buy them a point each year. The system requires hunters ed certification before allowing the purchase of an app now. I called WDFW and this was a rule change this year. Just a FYI, for those that this effects.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
Re: Permit changes - youth without hunters ed can no longer build points
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 10:42:10 AM »
Dumb rule change that only negatively impacts the future of hunting.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline treefarmer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:50:55 AM »
This sucks.   Possibly the first time wdfw had mad a change that turned down easy money.   

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 11:02:56 AM »
Actually I think the change makes sense. Because it makes sense, I am surprised that wdfw is making that change, especially since it will cut into the money they are raking in.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline SkookumHntr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 12:11:42 PM »
I didn't even know you could buy kids points before they passed hunters ed, my daughter is starting with one point this year! Nice that its only 3$ for them to apply for hunts tho! Hoping for the any deer 667 hunt
IBEW89 RMEF MDF CCA

Offline knighttime25

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 12:13:33 PM »
You should still be able to buy your kids the points option though correct? It would make sense that they wouldn't want kids applying for a special permit unless they had their hunters safety complete. Unless I'm missing something??  :dunno:

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 12:30:47 PM »
You should still be able to buy your kids the points option though correct? It would make sense that they wouldn't want kids applying for a special permit unless they had their hunters safety complete. Unless I'm missing something??  :dunno:
Can’t buy any apps without hunters safety now.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 12:31:35 PM »
You could buy applications for moose, goat and sheep without passing hunter ed.  They changed it this year so now you have to pass hunter ed before you can buy an application and get ghost points.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 12:42:37 PM »
I didn't even know you could buy kids points before they passed hunters ed, my daughter is starting with one point this year! Nice that its only 3$ for them to apply for hunts tho! Hoping for the any deer 667 hunt

I think thats why they changed - Parents "in the know" started applying as soon as lil johnny was born and then come license time he had 10 youth points built up and had a lock on permits,  while most parents just started applying when lil johnny passed hunters ed.  Kind of nice to getem started as early as possible IMO. 

Offline GurrCentral

• Scout
  • Groups: GurrCentral
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 12:48:58 PM »
How bout the kids that have points already? Will they keep their points until they pass hunter ed and actually can apply for hunts?

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 12:56:45 PM »
How bout the kids that have points already? Will they keep their points until they pass hunter ed and actually can apply for hunts?
Yes they will.  I still have 6 youth points and 6 senior points from when they divided up all the categories a few years back.  I am 46.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 01:17:07 PM »
I’m against it as well and the thing I think is the worst is that they didn’t take public comment on the rule change. I knew it was proposed early on but when it became time for public comment there was no option for this rule that I seen.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 01:41:22 PM »
I support the change. I don't think it's fair for some kids to get extra points before they're even eligible to hunt, while other kids don't. This only affects moose, bighorn sheep, and mountain goat anyway, as others have already said. You never could build up points for deer or elk without having passed hunter education, since in order to buy an application you have to first buy a hunting license. I don't believe the state ever intended for people to have the ability to buy moose, sheep, and goat points for their kids. It's just a loophole that some people figured out how to exploit. Most people never knew it was possible.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 01:42:39 PM »
I support the change. I don't think it's fair for some kids to get extra points before they're even eligible to hunt, while other kids don't. This only affects moose, bighorn sheep, and mountain goat anyway, as others have already said. You never could build up points for deer or elk without having passed hunter education, since in order to buy an application you have to first buy a hunting license. I don't believe the state ever intended for people to have the ability to buy moose, sheep, and goat points for their kids. It's just a loophole that some people figured out how to exploit. Most people never knew it was possible.

Looking at it from a what's the most fair to all standpoint, I'm with Bobcat on this one.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal