collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Permit changes - youth without hunters ed can no longer build points  (Read 11423 times)

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: Permit changes - youth without hunters ed can no longer build points
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2018, 04:52:21 PM »
I support the change. I don't think it's fair for some kids to get extra points before they're even eligible to hunt, while other kids don't. This only affects moose, bighorn sheep, and mountain goat anyway, as others have already said. You never could build up points for deer or elk without having passed hunter education, since in order to buy an application you have to first buy a hunting license. I don't believe the state ever intended for people to have the ability to buy moose, sheep, and goat points for their kids. It's just a loophole that some people figured out how to exploit. Most people never knew it was possible.

So who are the kids that don’t get extra points? I guess I don’t know what the big deal is since all parents haves the opportunity to build points for there kids.

Offline treefarmer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2018, 05:21:33 PM »
Not greedy at all.  That’s the whole point of this convoluted system

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2018, 05:37:55 PM »
18 to 1?  Grrr not stirrin the pot just seeing effect of wolf mgmt. Armegeddon has arrived it appears.

Offline MountainTracker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2018, 06:35:57 PM »
This is too bad.  It's not a big secret it just requires some research into the system.  I've bought points for my kids since they were born.  The point system isn't going to get better as years go on, so I figure give them a chance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2018, 06:48:16 PM »
I don't have a strong opinion about it either way, but permits are a zero sum game: when one person gets a permit, it's one less for others to get.

There are plenty of individuals who have been applying for nearly 25 years and are approaching an age where they may be able to hunt much longer. If I had a choice, I would prefer to see them have better odds to get rare permits before they can no longer hunt. :twocents:
agreed!
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2018, 11:36:51 AM »
I agree with the change and for those that are using the argument of recruitment for new hunters there’s plenty of otc opportunity to get kids in the field hunting without drawing a premium tag.

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2018, 02:07:24 PM »
 :yeah: I just don't see how not being able to accrue OIL points for 3 year-olds affects recruitment. Any points added would add infinitesimally to long-term chances, like it or not. It's not going to be a deal breaker on them choosing to hunt or not. I would like to know if any tags have actually gone to hunters who accrued points before they could legally hunt  :dunno:

It is (was) simply knowledgeable dads wanting to give their kids a boost, however small. Nice, but yes, a loophole.

"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2018, 02:16:37 PM »
It’s a good change. Why should someone be able to accrue points when they’re not legal to hunt?

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2018, 02:32:36 PM »
Pretty sure WDFW fears abuse of the system. Accruing points with points only applications maybe are not abused but we have seen  times where the youngster or non-hunting spouse draws a coveted tag and Dad gets to go hunting illegally with the tag while dragging along the child or spouse to cover his butt. The system is for hunters not for two year olds, unborn children, non-hunting spouses or boy friends or girl friends.

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2018, 02:43:40 PM »
I think it’s a good change, I don’t think it boosts recruitment one bit. If the kid is going to like hunting it’s going to be based on all of the factors not just a snowballs chance in you know where to draw an OIL tag. Take the kids hunting from an early age. Heck I went pheasant hunting with my dad from 4 yrs old on. If I got tired he carried me. But I learned to love that time with my dad and our friends. I didn’t carry a gun for another 5 yrs. 1 whole season with an empty gun before I was allowed to take hunters ed. I learned the reward of hard work and patience. I’m putting in for these tags. Even if I don’t ever draw,  I will never look at it as a waste. Now as a disclaimer, I don’t have kids and probably will never be able to due to life circumstances, but even if I did, I would still think it’s fair.
I think personally some of life’s experiences become a little richer when we have some basis to compare them to. I know for a fact I wouldn’t have had the same feelings taking a bull elk @ 12 as I did at 28. Because I definitely experienced the difference last year whitetail hunting in Illinois with my dad. I can remember most hunts but I will never forget that one.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2018, 03:04:57 PM »
My be a dumb perspective but why should a kid be allowed to get points before they are even hunting ?? Why would it be ok to start buying a new born points? That's what doesn't make sense!!
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2018, 08:39:39 PM »
My be a dumb perspective but why should a kid be allowed to get points before they are even hunting ?? Why would it be ok to start buying a new born points? That's what doesn't make sense!!

Why should hunters under 65 have points for 65 and older and points for master hunter and all the other categories they don’t qualify for?  We all do because the states system is a mess, why go after the kids?  They should also delete the points for everyone under 65 and those who aren’t disabled and every other category that we shouldn’t have points for.

These points that the kids have were at least purchased the rest of us are sitting on points that we received for free that we shouldn’t have. Funny how I see the people who are saying the kids shouldn’t be able to buy tags through a loop hole are quietly sitting on points they received through a loop hole :twocents:

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2018, 08:40:50 PM »
I agree with the change and for those that are using the argument of recruitment for new hunters there’s plenty of otc opportunity to get kids in the field hunting without drawing a premium tag.

:yeah: but in Idaho not Washington.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:53:55 PM by CarbonHunter »

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2018, 08:47:30 PM »
Require a hunting license for all Oil draws then for NR or Residents.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2018, 08:49:15 PM »
The point option would be eliminated if it were up to me. I don't think anyone should be able to acquire points that easily. It should only be for those who actually apply for, and are eligible for a special permit. Better yet would be to eliminate the point system altogether, but that's not going to happen, so I'd like to at least see the point option taken away.

And yes, I use the point option myself, and yes, I did buy points for moose for my two daughters. They are 10 and 12 and they each have 8 points in the youth category and in the bull category. I play the game by the rules that are in place but it doesn't mean I don't think there's a better way.

I'll also agree with those who say kids have plenty of hunting opportunities in this state. Way more than when I was a kid. I didn't get special seasons to hunt before everyone else could hunt, like they have now. There was no such thing as special permits for youth only. And we didn't have whitetail deer seasons that were open for antlerless animals like kids do now.

Yes Idaho has more opportunities, especially when it comes to elk. But that's understandable, there are a lot less people in the state, and a lot more public land.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal