collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WHICH PACK FOR HUNTING AND HAULING OUT GAME  (Read 7396 times)

Offline Chet43

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
WHICH PACK FOR HUNTING AND HAULING OUT GAME
« on: April 27, 2018, 07:13:16 PM »
It's been a long, long time since I used one but I am in the market for a pack that can be used for day and overnight hunting if need be plus can also with my gear be used to pack out bone out meat and/or quarters. Any recommendations? There are a ton of packs on the market but most I have looked at don't seem to be setup for comfortable meat packing plus overnight gear and the other are sold by the manufacturer so I can touch and feel it before buying it, which makes me nervous.

Would an internal or external frame be better? Any suggestion on what I need to know before buying a pack or the best one out there?

Offline carlyoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Re: WHICH PACK FOR HUNTING AND HAULING OUT GAME
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 07:34:50 PM »
I would pick one of the 3 top dogs. Kifaru, Stone Glacier or Exo Mountain gear. I went with the Exo. Super comfy and set up perfect.  I went with the saying buy once cry once. Also I tried out the kuiu pack and it was about 3 steps below the Exo. You will probably get 20 different answers but this is my take.

Offline colersu22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 07:39:22 PM »
I have a Kifaru tactical frame with a woodsman and have used an EXO in the past.  Where do you live? Maybe someone close can have you check out a pack or 2 before you drop the coin on one. 

The main company’s that come to mind are Kifaru, EXO mountain gear, Stone glacier, Mystery Ranch and Seek outside.  The Rokslide forum has tons of threads asking the same question and you could spend months reading about different packs.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 07:42:45 PM »
Man, that is like Ford, Chevy, Dodge.  There will be no single best. 

There are a few different types of bag setup, plus there are a number of really great companies out there making bags out there.  You need to figure out if you want external frame or internal frame.   I was lucky enough to have a hunting partner that had a couple old setups he let me use on a hunt as did another camp member.  Two of the packs were the traditional metal external frame and while comfortable I quickly found that I did not like how they handled busting thru brush.

Then you can narrow down brands and features.  Same partners also gave me a chance to examine their packs, exo, Kuiu.  Each brand tends to have a different idea on how they like to do pockets and organization as well as openings and access to compartments.  I found I liked the Kuiu best and ended up buying one on sale a year ago, then bought a larger pack to put on the frame.

You will find that what bag works for you can be personal much like bow or shoes or any other gear.  If you have any friends that have setups see if you can borrow one for a weekend and use it to go out scouting.  Put some weight in it and put boots to ground and see how it does.   I also recommend taking a good look at the gear you carry daily, as well as what you want to haul in for an overnighter.

As for my choice I went Kuiu for a couple reasons.  While it is external frame it is a carbon frame which can be split from the pack and hey have a number of bag sizes that can be swapped out onto the frame.  I bought mine as a 1850 thinking it would be more than enough space since I use it primarily as a daypack.  I then stumbled on a deal locally on a 3300 bag only.  After a few days hunting I felt like he 1850 was just a hair small for the gear I carry, heavier clothes needed for morning would not fit inside it after mid-morning removal.  So I swapped the 3300 on and was all set.  The Kuiu also as mentioned can separate from teh frame, so when you get an animal down you bundle up the quarter, remove the bag form the frame and then put the meat right on the frame, then put the bag over it and cinch it all down so the meat is tight to your back for best hauling.  You can also put overnight came gear between the pack and frame, just possibly means an extra trip out at the end to haul camp out after the meat is at the truck.

Maybe let us know where you are located and a few people might be willing to at least show you their bags since many companies are mfg direct only.

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 08:17:38 PM »
I really have been happy with Exo, I passed my 2014 on to a guy in Colorado that was in your shoes, and picked up one in the pattern I originally wanted. I have tested mine with day pack loaded and 160#s of sand. Nothing is going to really be comfortable at that level. Did 2 miles just to see if I could do it. The pack ran really well. I think for 2-4 nights and daypack items look at something in the 3000-4000 Cubic in range. All the packs mentioned are excellent. Write a list of features that you want. Find the pack that has the most of them and then if you can get a used one. Resale value will still be in the same ballpark as what you paid so if it doesn’t float your boat you can move on and try another one. Now is a good time too, to find a used pack.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 08:52:23 PM by northwesthunter84 »

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 08:37:51 PM »
If I could grab any pack it would be the Kuiu 3500 for my hunting daypack and first trip out,  Stone Glacier or Kifaru for subsequent trips or packing in.   I like the minimalist Kuiu for day-2-day hunting and it packs a 100# out fine just doesn't have quite the cushy belt and back cushion the bigger packs have.  But I don't want to just day and short hunt with a full-size camping pack.

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 08:40:05 PM »
Ditto what everyone else has said.

I started with a kuiu, and tho I love their clothing, I couldn’t LOVE the pack. I did “like” it tho, and it got the job done. Especially the capability of hauling out meat was awesome. But with squeaks I couldn’t get rid of, and the feeling of being a little too stiff in it, I ordered an Exo Mountain.

I got the Exo 3500. Have only used it on one turkey hunt so far last week, but so far so good. I barely feel it there. And super quiet.

I was on the fence between a Kifaru pack. Don’t think u can go wrong either way. Just have to decide what features mean the most to you.

Good luck!

Offline Chet43

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 09:15:32 AM »
I live in the Burien/Des Moines area

Offline Bullseye108

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 09:54:38 AM »
I really like the kuiu icon pro 1850 for day hunts. Packed out part of a bear last year with it. Weighed pack with bear in it at house 174 pounds.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 10:16:51 AM »
You're on the right track trying to see one first.   

My  :twocents: is it's a trade off of pack weight (wearing it all day) vs. the pack's ability to haul heavy loads out (ie elk quarters).   Then price, quality, brand trustworthiness, etc. come into play.   So, depends on what your budget is.  And what your style of hunting is.

Kifaru and Mystery Ranch are the old dogs that have been doing it the longest, and supply both hunting packs as well as military and recreational and fire categories.  Exo and Stone Glacier are the popular new kids on the block.  Kuiu rounds out the top 5 as a lighter weight option, that has been around longer than Exo/Stone Glacier, but not as long as the old dogs.   

An alternative is some folks opt to buy a less expensive pack brand (or even a recreational pack) and just use it to take out the first load, then switch to a pack frame meat hauler to pack the rest of the quarters out.  And that is a perfectly fine strategy as well.

I only hunt wilderness areas in the backcountry, so my backpack never leaves my back.  These days I primarily use the Kuiu Ultra series, with 1800ci bag, 6000ci bag, and load sling attachments.   Very lightweight for carrying on my back all day.  I have fit an entire quartered deer in the 6000ci bag multiple times.  For elk quarters, you strap it between frame and bag.  I also have an older (ie heavier) Mystery Ranch Crew Cab that is my pack of choice if doing an elk backcountry hunt....it's a tank and handles very heavy loads well, but there is a weight trade-off for carrying it all day.  Today's MR models are lighter than mine.

Kifaru is a great, trusted established brand that you know will continue to survive and you can't go wrong with that brand.  The guys that hunted with me last year, one had the Exo 3500.  Much too small for our 8 day backcountry hunt in the snow.  He had quite a bit of stuff strapped to the outside of that pack.  I'd view the 3500 as a 2-4 night early season pack.   Need the bigger bag if going longer and in rougher weather.  The Exo quality looked good, but in the same class as a Kifaru, MR, Kuiu, etc.   I haven't had my hands on a Stone Glacier, so can't comment on that brand personally but have heard many good things about it.

Good luck on your pack research.   I live on the west side, so can let you look at the Kuiu Ultra and MR systems if you wanted.

Online High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 10:19:31 AM »
I really like the kuiu icon pro 1850 for day hunts. Packed out part of a bear last year with it. Weighed pack with bear in it at house 174 pounds.

That is a big azz bear! Any pack mentioned is a quality pack. For me the ability to haul meat between the bag and frame like in this pic is top of the list. I went with the EXO, have buddies with kuiu, kifaru etc. and they are all nice.  Mine may be on the market soon, only reason is I’m 6’3 and the frame isn’t quite long enough to make the the load lifters work as they should. But I’ve been contemplating mounting my 5500 bag on a kifaru 26” frame as I really like the bag.  Like others have said, I would go 3500 max if primary use is a daypack

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 11:09:48 AM »
I run the stone glacier sky archer 6200 and love it. It converts down to a 4000 so it's a great all around option for a day trip or 10 day.

$$$ but I try to go US made and willing to pay more. That eliminates a few on this list I think (Kuiu for sure), but I agree with everyon on the top 5. Unless you're hauling moose, you won't need an exterior frame one too.

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 12:01:35 PM »
The KUIU Icon Pro 3200 is perfect for me.  Can do a 2-3 day hunt or day hunts.   Hauls out meat just fine.  Not too big or too small.

Offline fisheral87

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/home.php
  • Groups: WSCPA, BHA
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 08:08:48 PM »
The philosophy of Exo and Kifaru are very different and if you listen to Steve or Aron talk you’ll begin to understand their approaches.

Exo is a more trim minimalist backpacking style, like what you might find at REI, while Kifaru takes its cues from heavier military style roots with lighter weight material adaptations for civilian use.

@ 6’ 4” 220 with a very flat back I found the Exo just didn’t fit me well enough to maintain the height necessary to get full benefit of the load lifters but I loved how much the pack moved with me. Exo has since increased the size of the lumbar pad but the 26” Kifaru hunter frame fits me very well. I also like the benefits of molle attachments on the belt and pack along with a larger lid on the Kifaru. The modularity for packing meat between the bag and frame is not as slick compared to Exo but it does work.

Customer service from both has been stellar.

Al
"Luck is a dividend of sweat, the more you sweat the luckier you get." - Ray Kroc

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 08:16:02 PM »
Like someone said, there is no one single best. The one I use the most and is so far the most comfortable is one I got at an estate sale. It was covered in dust and under a couple of other frames.

I've hauled elk and bison on it and it's getting the job done with comfort and style. :tup: find what you like and run with it.
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2018, 09:06:16 PM »
This will be my 3rd year with my Mystery Ranch Marshall.

The good:

It rides like a dream. I’m 6’-1” and 220 and it fits great.

It’s indestructible. I’ve taken two mature mule deer out in it, one load trips and it’s never budged. I wash it out each time and it literally looks brand new. No tearing or stretching.

It has large enough outside pouches to hold a large spotting scope. I don’t have to dig for it.

The load lifters have plenty of slack. They really work well.

The bad.
It’s a heavy pack. 7# empty.

Good luck finding your pack.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2018, 11:07:13 PM »
Bought an EXO 3500 four years ago and couldn't be happier with it. Rides well, light weight and bomb proof. Hauled several deer and an elk out with it with no problems. Breaks down easy for end of season cleaning. "Nuff said.

Elksnout
Can't we all just get along?

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 07:09:22 AM »
I always love these threads  :chuckle: 
You get a ton of "this is the best pack hands down" even though most haven't ever used more than one or even any top tier packs.  Then usually some pics of packs loaded heavy but not fitted to the person even close to properly but will tell you it carries like a dream.

Here's my personal opinion on packs.  You can buy the best of the best but if you don't take the time to fit it properly then it's just another pack.  Kifaru is the best out there, but if you don't adjust it right it's not gonna carry any better than anything else. 

FUNCTIONAL load lifters- this separates the men from the boys when it comes to hauling.  This eliminates kuiu in my experience because every one I've been around the load lifters constantly slip under weight. 

Pockets-  to me pockets are a selling gimmick.  A few pullout bags will organize everything you could possibly need in a pack and do it better than any amount of pockets.  Then if you need to empty your pack for this reason or that you just dump it out.   

Weight-  I'd rather have a 7lb pack that can haul an elephant than a 3lb pack that can't. 

Size-  always buy more bag than you think you'll need.  You can always compress a big bag but you can't make a small bag bigger.  A well designed pack will compress to nothing. 

To me there is only one and that's kifaru.   I'm going into season 5 with my DT1.  I've never stuck with a pack that long ever.  It's a testament to it's function and durability.  I've hauled somewhere in the ball park of 60 animals in those 4 seasons and it seems like it's got another 3 or 4 seasons left in it at that rate. 

I cannot speak to the new mystery ranch but the old made in America NICE frame packs were right on par durability wise as the kifaru' s but I liked the suspension system better on the kifaru. 

Exo...not for me. 

I will admit I have little experience with stone glacier.  I got to mess with a new one last year a bit in Idaho and almost immediately we busted a buckle compressing a load.  Luckily I always carry a spare in my pack and we were able to fix it.  Everything else seemed solid.

Good luck in your search.  Ask questions.  Get hands on some packs before you buy.  Decide on what you want regardless of price and then go find the best price.  If you can buy new that's great but remember there is a whole generation of gear junkies out there that HAVE to have the latest and greatest and they offload their "old" stuff for cheap. :tup:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 08:06:46 AM »
 :yeah:

Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

There is no such thing as the perfect pack. Its the one you have loaded that counts. Although i currently use a kifaru duplex with an AMR bag. I managed to make some great memories with eberlestock, badlands, and old frame styles. Don't overthink it to much, find a pack that Is well made and fit it as well as possible and go hunt.   

If your like me over time you will find you change things up and some things you thought were important pass by. I used to use a bladder on all my hunts. So that seemed like an important feature.  I rarely do anymore. Camo packs used to be cool, now its not really a consixeration for me. Wanting a reputable warranty was a big deal, until i found i was using it annually. ( Although even my kifaru, needs some love, so we will get to experience their CS soon) Get a solid foundation of fit, comfort, and durability. The rest will sort itself out.

Offline Antlershed

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 05:38:04 PM »
 :yeah: x’s 2.

I went from a Badlands 2200 (after destroying a Sitka Bivy 45), to my Kifaru Hunting Frame. Started with a DT2, then a DT1, and now I’m using an AMR. I can’t say much on the other bigger names (Exo, SG, MR, Kuiu), but I can say that my Kifaru has never given me a reason to think about trying something else. I know there are lots of guys that get it done with Exo, but almost every picture I see of one being used, the load lifters are flat.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 09:48:22 PM »
I always love these threads  :chuckle: 
You get a ton of "this is the best pack hands down" even though most haven't ever used more than one or even any top tier packs.  Then usually some pics of packs loaded heavy but not fitted to the person even close to properly but will tell you it carries like a dream.

Here's my personal opinion on packs.  You can buy the best of the best but if you don't take the time to fit it properly then it's just another pack.  Kifaru is the best out there, but if you don't adjust it right it's not gonna carry any better than anything else. 

FUNCTIONAL load lifters- this separates the men from the boys when it comes to hauling.  This eliminates kuiu in my experience because every one I've been around the load lifters constantly slip under weight. 

Pockets-  to me pockets are a selling gimmick.  A few pullout bags will organize everything you could possibly need in a pack and do it better than any amount of pockets.  Then if you need to empty your pack for this reason or that you just dump it out.   

Weight-  I'd rather have a 7lb pack that can haul an elephant than a 3lb pack that can't. 

Size-  always buy more bag than you think you'll need.  You can always compress a big bag but you can't make a small bag bigger.  A well designed pack will compress to nothing. 

To me there is only one and that's kifaru.   I'm going into season 5 with my DT1.  I've never stuck with a pack that long ever.  It's a testament to it's function and durability.  I've hauled somewhere in the ball park of 60 animals in those 4 seasons and it seems like it's got another 3 or 4 seasons left in it at that rate. 

I cannot speak to the new mystery ranch but the old made in America NICE frame packs were right on par durability wise as the kifaru' s but I liked the suspension system better on the kifaru. 

Exo...not for me. 

I will admit I have little experience with stone glacier.  I got to mess with a new one last year a bit in Idaho and almost immediately we busted a buckle compressing a load.  Luckily I always carry a spare in my pack and we were able to fix it.  Everything else seemed solid.

Good luck in your search.  Ask questions.  Get hands on some packs before you buy.  Decide on what you want regardless of price and then go find the best price.  If you can buy new that's great but remember there is a whole generation of gear junkies out there that HAVE to have the latest and greatest and they offload their "old" stuff for cheap. :tup:

Agree with Karl regarding fit.  I bought a Tenzing 5000 before going to Alaska a couple of years ago.  Took it on a weekend trip into the Wenaha that summer.  Didn't know it (I had never really had a "good" pack before) but I covered about 9 miles of hiking before I realized that my pack was set on X-small.  The whole time I felt like my pack was trying to pry itself away from my back.  3 miles from the truck we stopped to pick huckleberries and I figured out what was wrong. 
I have now used it to pack out 2 caribou and an elk and I love the pack.  For the price (a lot less than most packs this size), I think it was a great buy.  My only complaint is that it is too heavy to use as a day pack, and it's got too many buckles and straps (I am sure they all have a function (?), but it would take a 3 week course with a written test to learn them all.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 11:35:58 PM »
This will be my 3rd year with my Mystery Ranch Marshall.

The good:

It rides like a dream. I’m 6’-1” and 220 and it fits great.

It’s indestructible. I’ve taken two mature mule deer out in it, one load trips and it’s never budged. I wash it out each time and it literally looks brand new. No tearing or stretching.

It has large enough outside pouches to hold a large spotting scope. I don’t have to dig for it.

The load lifters have plenty of slack. They really work well.

The bad.
It’s a heavy pack. 7# empty.

Good luck finding your pack.

Have you had problems with this pack squeaking ?
Coastal Perspective.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2018, 04:48:20 AM »
I have had no squeaking issues whatsoever.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2018, 05:12:47 AM »
EXO
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2018, 02:38:25 PM »
Ive ran the horn hunter full curl combo the past few years, bought it used from here. I am either going to purchase a new full curl frame this season, or possibly the new mystery ranch pop up 28l. gotta get my hands on one of the MR packs to check it over.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2018, 03:56:18 PM »
I currently have a Kifaru Hunter Duplex frame with the AMR bag on the pack. I have also owned a Mystery Ranch NICE frame as well as have a Mystery Ranch daypack (no frame).

Personally, I traded from the Mystery Ranch frame pack for the Kifaru and I think it was the right decision. The stays I have in the Kifaru are curved and fit my back better than the MR ever did. However I love my MR daypack, but this is used for day hiking, even on day hunts I take the Kifaru.

The Kifaru setup I have is heavier than some other packs out there but it has never failed me in any way. I have seen a couple of Kuiu packs go tits up when they were filled in the field. I've looked at other bags than the AMR but its a really bomb proof bag with a good layout for me, although probably overkill. I'm contemplating selling the AMR bag and going with one of the waterproof bags.

My $.02 a Kifaru is a good choice. Seems Exo and Stone Glacier get great reviews.

@clarkstar has used about everything in existence.

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 04:44:17 PM »
For a day pack that you can pack out a load of meat with and camp over night I would say eberlestock. To me the kifaru, M.R., S.G. Are to bulky and rigid for hunting with them on your back. And I disagree with some about pockets. The pockets on the eberlestock are great and handy for spotter and tripod and other stuff. And it has a built in scabbard that securely carries your rifle. Not some phony little butt cradle that holds your gun all goofy, that’s an expensive extra.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 06:39:16 PM »
For a day pack that you can pack out a load of meat with and camp over night I would say eberlestock. To me the kifaru, M.R., S.G. Are to bulky and rigid for hunting with them on your back. And I disagree with some about pockets. The pockets on the eberlestock are great and handy for spotter and tripod and other stuff. And it has a built in scabbard that securely carries your rifle. Not some phony little butt cradle that holds your gun all goofy, that’s an expensive extra.
spotter and tripod pockets are not gimmicky pointless pockets.  They have an intended, real world application.  Completely different than the 47 organizer pockets some packs have. 

I also disagree with you 200% on scabbard vs gun bearer.  Gun bearer is an incredibly functional way to carry a firearm.  You can be hands free but faster than you could unsling a shouldered rifle you can deploy your rifle into action.  When I dabbled into eberlestock and a scabbard I could not remove my rifle without taking off my pack.  You literally couldn't give me a pack with a scabbard.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 06:56:31 PM »
spotter and tripod pockets are not gimmicky pointless pockets.  They have an intended, real world application.  Completely different than the 47 organizer pockets some packs have. 

I also disagree with you 200% on scabbard vs gun bearer.  Gun bearer is an incredibly functional way to carry a firearm.  You can be hands free but faster than you could unsling a shouldered rifle you can deploy your rifle into action.  When I dabbled into eberlestock and a scabbard I could not remove my rifle without taking off my pack.  You literally couldn't give me a pack with a scabbard.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.

As for the scabbard I only use it when I’m packing meat I use a safari sling while I’m hunting. And in that case it is a very good option I think. I have a kifaru for my week long backcountry hunts but to me it doesn’t double as a day pack at all and I can’t stand the gun bearer I would rather use a safari sling. But for heavy hauling there is nothing better that I have tried than the kifaru

Offline ffbowhunter

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 08:01:22 PM »
Another vote for exo. I had the kuiu ultra and recently got the exo 5500. Unbelievably comfortable event with the 40lbs of gear I have in it. I’ve turned into a buy once kind of guy and this is the last pack I’ll need for a long time!

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2018, 09:20:05 PM »
Kifaru  :tup:

Offline fisheral87

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/home.php
  • Groups: WSCPA, BHA
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2018, 09:24:25 AM »
I agree with Blanchard on the gun bearer. It’s quick to deploy and re-sling and gives me two hands for using Trekking poles, climbing, glassing, or accessing gear I have in my hip or chest pouches. Depending on how you hunt this may not be important and the scabbard might fit your style better.

I think pouches need to be purpose driven. You don’t get purpose with some manufacturers, you get 6x9, 10x10, etc. otherwise a ziplock bag will do just fine.

Al
"Luck is a dividend of sweat, the more you sweat the luckier you get." - Ray Kroc

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2018, 07:36:31 PM »
I disagree with the idea of a Kifaru being too rigid to hunt with. I’ve killed a handful of animals while wearing it. Archery, Muzzleloader, and rifle.

Gun bearer is insanely functional
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline benhuntin

• Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2018, 08:07:27 PM »
Kifaru Reckoning on a 26” UL frame. You have to be a stud to load it and pack it. You will fail before the pack. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2018, 09:19:19 PM »
I disagree with the idea of a Kifaru being too rigid to hunt with. I’ve killed a handful of animals while wearing it. Archery, Muzzleloader, and rifle.

Agreed.  With how efficient their bags compress down it's a non issue.  Mines 8,000 cubic inches but it's as small as I could ever want it if I choose.  Only inches thick and narrower than my shoulders.  Or when needed I can sleep in it lol.  Pretty sure bullblaster has a pic of me doing just that actually  :bdid: :chuckle:

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2018, 04:34:01 AM »
I agree with Blanchard on the gun bearer. It’s quick to deploy and re-sling and gives me two hands for using Trekking poles, climbing, glassing, or accessing gear I have in my hip or chest pouches. Depending on how you hunt this may not be important and the scabbard might fit your style better.

I think pouches need to be purpose driven. You don’t get purpose with some manufacturers, you get 6x9, 10x10, etc. otherwise a ziplock bag will do just fine.

Al
X2.
Love my kifaru

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2018, 07:38:47 AM »

Agreed.  With how efficient their bags compress down it's a non issue.  Mines 8,000 cubic inches but it's as small as I could ever want it if I choose.  Only inches thick and narrower than my shoulders.  Or when needed I can sleep in it lol.  Pretty sure bullblaster has a pic of me doing just that actually  :bdid: :chuckle:
I lost he picture.

I will say it helps that you are only 3.7 feet tall so it doesn’t take a huge bag for you to sleep in.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]