collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Westside 400 class bull  (Read 16894 times)

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Westside 400 class bull
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2018, 08:44:51 AM »
I had two bulls that hung out in my back yard for a couple years that would score between 390 to 420 , I guy I worked with killed a bull in kapowsin that scored 396 after the deductions, it green scored 417
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 10:39:31 AM »
South end of Rainier Park had some monsters that knew the Park boundaries. A professional poaching group cleaned them out.. :bash:

When was this?

Early 90s as I recall..
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline nwmein199

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2018, 05:23:41 AM »
The Kapowsin bulls official score was 391 5/8 when measured at the sportsman show and the State archery record for Cascade Roosevelt Elk. A lot of people say the state's biggest bulls roam in those woods, gotta be one of the lucky 8 to draw a tag after spending  $375 for the chance....
Did it gross over 400? That thing is a beast!

That tag drives me nuts.  How on earth it's legal for a timber company to do that is beyond my limited comprehension.

It is private property so they can dictate if you kill something on their land or not. No different than if you owned property that elk lived on and let your buddy shoot a bull but not me. Its your property, it's your choice.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 06:03:15 AM »
The Kapowsin bulls official score was 391 5/8 when measured at the sportsman show and the State archery record for Cascade Roosevelt Elk. A lot of people say the state's biggest bulls roam in those woods, gotta be one of the lucky 8 to draw a tag after spending  $375 for the chance....
Did it gross over 400? That thing is a beast!

That tag drives me nuts.  How on earth it's legal for a timber company to do that is beyond my limited comprehension.

It is private property so they can dictate if you kill something on their land or not. No different than if you owned property that elk lived on and let your buddy shoot a bull but not me. Its your property, it's your choice.
and don’t forget, Hancock isn’t changing the season like they used to, they just allow acces to lucky tag holders and restrict access to others.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2018, 06:36:17 AM »
I think that's the problem.  You can hunt the 454 side of their WR unit during the OTC season all you want.  But they know the value of the 654 tag and they (in my opinion) hold it over others.

This is coming from a timber company that gets special tax incentives for allowing the public to use their property for recreational purposes.

I'm not totally against them charging us to come on their property.  If nothing else, it helps keep the majority of the dumpers out of timber lands.   It just feels really weird to see a company basically managing a wild elk herd as if they're another game department. 

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2018, 06:37:50 AM »
I didn't realize they were managing deer too, this should be outlawed in our state:

Deer Hunting –In an effort to improve hunting quality, Hancock will be setting regulations that go beyond WDFW regulations for our
property. If you violate private regulations your permit will be revoked and you will be permanently banned from Hancock Property.
There will be a two-point minimum set for all deer seasons and weapon types. Antlerless archery deer hunting will be allowed
for archery only. Special WDFW issued permits for antlerless deer hunting will NOT be allowed for the disabled, 65 and older,
and youth. This regulation is for the Kapowsin forest only and may differ from other forests managed by Hancock Forest
Management.

Hold WDFW accountable and make them manage the herds.  This is not the answer.  We do NOT want another Texas-styled privatized hunting experience in Washington.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2018, 06:46:00 AM »
I didn't realize they were managing deer too, this should be outlawed in our state:

Deer Hunting –In an effort to improve hunting quality, Hancock will be setting regulations that go beyond WDFW regulations for our
property. If you violate private regulations your permit will be revoked and you will be permanently banned from Hancock Property.
There will be a two-point minimum set for all deer seasons and weapon types. Antlerless archery deer hunting will be allowed
for archery only. Special WDFW issued permits for antlerless deer hunting will NOT be allowed for the disabled, 65 and older,
and youth. This regulation is for the Kapowsin forest only and may differ from other forests managed by Hancock Forest
Management.

Hold WDFW accountable and make them manage the herds.  This is not the answer.  We do NOT want another Texas-styled privatized hunting experience in Washington.
It's private property. If you don't like it don't buy their permit. I know smaller land owners and farmers that have those same rules if you want to hunt deer on their property. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2018, 06:51:00 AM »
 :yeah:  Lots of places have rules more restrictive than WDFW game regulations for hunting on private property. 

*Another thing that comes up often...  Hunting in our state is considered a "privilege", and that privilege goes up against private property "rights".   The private property rights generally win out...  That's why they can charge for access, because you have no right to be on their property.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 07:00:16 AM by headshot5 »

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2018, 07:02:57 AM »
I think there is a difference between a farmer who doesn't have to allow access saying "Look, just don't shoot that big buck", or "look, just don't shoot the does" and a timber company saying "Pay me $375 to access thousands of acres of property I'm required to allow you to access anyways, and you maybe 1 of 8 people I'll draw to allow to hunt a herd that is actually supposed to be managed by a state agency.  Also, despite the fact that the state says the deer herd is sufficient to allow "Any Buck" to be taken, we're imposing a 2 point minimum to manage the herd better."

I'm all for private landownership, but for those of us who live locally and remember when Weyerhauser used to allow free access and "Good Luck Hunters" signs were up, this is a huge pill to swallow. 

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2018, 07:04:31 AM »
I will never consider hunting rights as a privilege, it is our God given right.  But if the land owner wants to make restrictions to help the herd and be smarter than the wdfw, I'm all for it.  There is a reason that hancock has one of the best elk hunts in our state, the other reason is no native hunts take place on the property in the kapowsin gate. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2018, 07:09:33 AM »
I will never consider hunting rights as a privilege, it is our God given right.  But if the land owner wants to make restrictions to help the herd and be smarter than the wdfw, I'm all for it.  There is a reason that hancock has one of the best elk hunts in our state, the other reason is no native hunts take place on the property in the kapowsin gate.

Both points are undeniable.  I just wish it would come from the regs, not from Hancock.  I think wildlife bios should present data that managers that help create policy.  When two agencies put out two different criteria for the same herd, it's clearly not being managed effectively either way :twocents:

Offline SkookumHntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2018, 08:16:38 AM »
Hancock will be having the best blacktail hunting in the state here in acouple years!  :tup:
IBEW89 RMEF MDF CCA

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2018, 08:23:29 AM »
Hancock will be having the best blacktail hunting in the state here in acouple years!  :tup:

If you can keep the tribes out.  :tup:
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline stw

• Hunter
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2018, 05:40:59 AM »
People say they wish the wildlife biologist agency involved . Why would you ever want that there killing everything off . Why you think this state is so messed up

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2018, 05:43:25 AM »
Do you really want that answered or for that matter have the time?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal