collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW KILLING ELK IN TROUT LAKE  (Read 7170 times)

Offline bbarnes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • Mt Saint Helens Rescue .com
WDFW KILLING ELK IN TROUT LAKE
« on: April 29, 2018, 05:22:52 PM »
My first question is WHY ? My second is where's the public input ? My third is they have told the public these elk with HOOF ROT are safe to eat.My forth is where did the meat go ?According to 3 of the 5 scientists interviewed by WSU this is not treponema.They also said the samples were contaminated and there process was incorrect.The real question I have is why are still hunting the same amount of days with a extremely limited recourse.Members on this site and friends need to start asking some serious questions.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
Re: WDFW KILLING ELK IN TROUT LAKE
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 05:48:39 PM »
You should ask member Alan K.  Another thread he seems to promote and advocate timber spraying...
MAGA!  Again..

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 06:02:55 PM »
I was at IST for Hunter Ed in Wenatchee this past weekend and this was discussed.

1. They have no idea how to treat it.

2. They have I’d seven elk in a herd at trout lake.

3. They see this as a emergency, and thus will kill these elk in the next 30 days in hopes of preventing further spread in this area.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline bbarnes

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 07:15:07 AM »
Why didn't they do it in other areas a decade ago ? Or did they learn something from the in WSU interview process that this could get in to domestic livestock ? Doesn't seem strange it's not in any USFS lands just private timber lands that have been treated with God knows what ? Look up what happened in triangle lake oregon and the lies and cover up that happened afterwards.

Offline bbarnes

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 07:18:41 AM »
Also they have no idea how to treat it because they have no idea of what it is or what's causeing it.but the common thread at the interviews from the science community was live animal study's something the WDFW doesn't and has been fighting against this whole time !

Offline timberfaller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 08:16:37 AM »
Was at the IST too,  the mind set of the WDFW is a bit scary,  hope they can get their act together.   Getting linked up with UW might help them.

UW was a big help years ago with where I was working at the time,  trying to figure out why after we vaccinated  yearlings they started getting sick and dying.   Nothing we or the vets did helped.  Vet sent nine carcasses to them, told us to quit vaccinating the new arrivals.  Spent the next six week doctoring 1300 head every day.   UW found that we received a contaminated vaccine.   Drug company wound up buying the herd and paying ALL our expenses.

Had it not been for the UW work,  we'd most likely never found the problem.

I was glad that the "Instructors" held their cool having heard what they did!!!  I figured there would be some HOT discussions like in the past IST's.    Or have we become complacence over time????
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 08:44:35 AM »
Was at the IST too,  the mind set of the WDFW is a bit scary,  hope they can get their act together.   Getting linked up with UW might help them.

UW was a big help years ago with where I was working at the time,  trying to figure out why after we vaccinated  yearlings they started getting sick and dying.   Nothing we or the vets did helped.  Vet sent nine carcasses to them, told us to quit vaccinating the new arrivals.  Spent the next six week doctoring 1300 head every day.   UW found that we received a contaminated vaccine.   Drug company wound up buying the herd and paying ALL our expenses.

I was glad that the "Instructors" held their cool having heard what they did!!!  I figured there would be some HOT discussions like in the past IST's.    Or have we become complacence over time? ???
Actually they are hooked up with WSU for studying the desease and from what I remember they said they are only taking out 7 elk to hopefully stop the issue before it becomes bad.
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 09:01:48 AM »

I was glad that the "Instructors" held their cool having heard what they did!!!  I figured there would be some HOT discussions like in the past IST's.    Or have we become complacence over time? ???
Actually they are hooked up with WSU for studying the desease and from what I remember they said they are only taking out 7 elk to hopefully stop the issue before it becomes bad.

WSU has taken over control of the study. I read 20 would be killed. And the question remains: are they still calling the meat safe to eat?
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline bbarnes

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 09:09:13 AM »
My question is why are they not talking about this with anyone that's been involved or written and helped pass bill 5474 ?

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 10:01:15 AM »

WSU has taken over control of the study. I read 20 would be killed. And the question remains: are they still calling the meat safe to eat?
They never did say.  They said follow what it says in the regulations book cut off the hoofs and leave them in the woods.
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 10:17:19 AM »

I suspect this is a story in flux, but the press release from WDFW does suggest that 7 elk were observed with symptoms but 20 elk will be killed.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/apr2718b/

He said the department plans to remove up to 20 symptomatic elk from the area in May. The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, which supports the proposed action, has pledged $2,000 to help defray the department's costs.

Garrison and other WDFW wildlife managers will discuss the department's plans at a public meeting from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, May 3, at the WDFW regional office at 5525 S. 11th St. in Ridgefield.

The first sign that the infectious disease had spread so far east came April 4, when a resident of Trout Lake sent the department a deformed hoof from an elk killed in a vehicle collision near his home, Garrison said.

On April 17, a WDFW staff team searched the area for other elk that might have been infected. They observed at least seven elk walking with a pronounced limp – a common symptom of the disease – and shot one limping animal to obtain hoof samples for testing.

Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline headshot5

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 10:52:43 AM »
I'm for them removing infected animals.   It's interesting the outcry on events like this.  The WDFW, did nothing with the original outbreak in the 90's-00's, and they got bad press/blasted for that. 

Now that they are trying to prevent the spread toward the East side, they are getting lit up for that.

Personally, all efforts to prevent spreading is probably in our best interest.  Regardless of the root cause (favorite forum theories on where it came from/causes), The spreading from Boisfort/Longview area could be viewed annually on where infected elk were, meaning that it most probably had to do with physical contact between herds, overlapping home range etc. 

I know growing up in Raymond area, every year the hoof rot would spread closer and closer.  Until it moved through the area and spread further North/West.

Offline timberfaller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 11:08:47 AM »
"Now that they are trying to prevent the spread toward the East side, they are getting lit up for that."

Not really against what they are tying to do,  just would be nice to see the meat NOT wasted.   

We "hunters" would get a ticket for "wasting game" ,  personally the WDFW  shouldn't waste it either.

One person asked about using "master hunters" to help culling out the elk,  but I didn't hear any response from the presenter on the question.

The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 11:16:44 AM »
Killing em just results in less elk, it does not cure or solve the problem.  Drop antibiotics in the feed at feed stations.  After all its Lepto correct? :chuckle:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 11:40:04 AM »
I think bringing hunters into the mix in this case would just complicate the plan. No way a bunch of hunters are going to get this done as quickly has it needs to be.

And who wants the meat? Of a animal with a unknown health problem. If you don't know the cause than you really cant say what the long term effects of eating it will be.
Sorry not interested.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline bbarnes

• Longhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 12:43:54 PM »
This issue is no public imput in the process!Also I drove out after MARK HOLYOAK from RMEF said I would NEVER get 5474 passed and the Governer to sign the bill which passed 149 to 0 through the house and senate.RMEF said they had no money to help then met us in woodland to try and simmer things down a year later still no action on this issue.

Offline headshot5

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 01:17:43 PM »
This issue is no public imput in the process!Also I drove out after MARK HOLYOAK from RMEF said I would NEVER get 5474 passed and the Governer to sign the bill which passed 149 to 0 through the house and senate.RMEF said they had no money to help then met us in woodland to try and simmer things down a year later still no action on this issue.

from the article on WDFW website... 
Garrison and other WDFW wildlife managers will discuss the department's plans at a public meeting from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, May 3, at the WDFW regional office at 5525 S. 11th St. in Ridgefield

So, it sounds like there will be public input.

Offline lord grizzly

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 01:23:52 PM »
are you guys sure this doesn't have anything to do with aliens, bigfoot and fairies? or is this a different trout lake over  there?

http://www.eceti.org/

Offline bbarnes

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 01:34:13 PM »
Public input occures before plans take place not after you start killing the states recourse,that belongs to all the tax payers in the state .Not to mention state angencys are supposed to give 10 days notice of any meetings .i also find it interesting I'm on the WDFW email list and have been involved in all of the meetings and processes and didn't hear a thing about this a little suspect.I would be willing to bet that hunters and shed hunters will find lots of dead elk when the snow melts in these areas and this is a way to make it look like WDFW went in and killed them all BS TO ME .

Offline Wazukie

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 01:51:19 PM »
They had a public meeting this last week.in trout lake pertaining to these specific elk

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Matthew 6:33

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 02:00:15 PM »
They haven't killed any elk yet, and they are holding public hearings.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/apr2718b/
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 02:09:20 PM »
WDF&W knows more than they are saying about hoof rot and it's causes. Back some years when the outbreak was getting going in SW Washington they gave out an extreme amount of cow permits in the Coweeman unit. One of the requirements was you had to save and turn into the Department most internal organs and the uterus of all cows taken. They were looking for something, but I never saw any info on what it was or what they found in that study.  My best guess is they were looking for something affecting the immune system of elk in the infected area.  If anyone has a link to how that study turned out, I'd like to see it.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline bbarnes

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 02:32:23 PM »
And won't bring any hard black and white info to any meetings the same old info for 3/4 of the meeting we think it's this we think it's that all BS

Offline headshot5

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 02:48:29 PM »
Public input occures before plans take place not after you start killing the states recourse,that belongs to all the tax payers in the state .Not to mention state angencys are supposed to give 10 days notice of any meetings .i also find it interesting I'm on the WDFW email list and have been involved in all of the meetings and processes and didn't hear a thing about this a little suspect.I would be willing to bet that hunters and shed hunters will find lots of dead elk when the snow melts in these areas and this is a way to make it look like WDFW went in and killed them all BS TO ME .

Yeah I bet that would go over good, WDFW holding a meeting without already having an outline of a plan.  I bet the taxpayers wouldn't complain about them being incompetent then.  <sarcasm font>   Besides, the SB 5474, that you keep bringing up, gives permission for them to start killing elk in order for research, which they have been doing per the article. 
Tests at Colorado State University's Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory and the USDA National Animal Disease Center confirmed both elk had hoof disease, Gardner said.

Edit to add.  1 of the elk was hit by a car and one shot by WDFW employees in the Trout Lake area of the two referenced above as being tested.

Offline bbarnes

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 06:16:42 PM »
The plan was to have WSU do the research they will be going over all of what WDFW has done and were supposed to be do the research along with WSU not on there own .

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 07:21:57 PM »
Treponoma is related to syphillus.  So is Lepto.  Zoonotic to humans.  https://health.uconn.edu/medicine/research/spirochete/  Public health hazard infected animals. 
MAGA!  Again..

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 07:24:05 PM »
The plan was to have WSU do the research they will be going over all of what WDFW has done and were supposed to be do the research along with WSU not on there own .

I don't have much faith in WSU after the Weilgus fiasco.

Offline bbarnes

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 08:31:23 PM »
Just another reason why WDFW should NOT be selling hunting licenses until they figure this out.

Offline headshot5

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 09:45:10 AM »
Garrison and other WDFW wildlife managers will discuss the department's plans at a public meeting from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, May 3, at the WDFW regional office at 5525 S. 11th St. in Ridgefield

Is anybody from the forum planning on attending?

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 12:53:39 PM »
Why?  Do they really care what we have to say?  Smoke n mirrors.  They already know what we think the only reason for meetings is to gauge the level of publics knowledge and understanding of their existing knowledge.  Fake news! :chuckle: Bigly!
MAGA!  Again..

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 12:49:05 PM »
My first question is WHY ? My second is where's the public input ? My third is they have told the public these elk with HOOF ROT are safe to eat.My forth is where did the meat go ?According to 3 of the 5 scientists interviewed by WSU this is not treponema.They also said the samples were contaminated and there process was incorrect.The real question I have is why are still hunting the same amount of days with a extremely limited recourse.Members on this site and friends need to start asking some serious questions.

For years WDFW killed every elk they could find in the Methow Valley, left them lay rotting where they dropped.

Heard of a video some years back of WDFW shooting a herd of elk in the Oval Peak county via helicopter, 40 some head containing two bulls.

I would have to see evidence supporting their claim of hoof rot before I would take their word.

Looking at their resent past history of their love for predators over the game herds, their credibility is shot to hell.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2018, 12:52:17 PM »

For years WDFW killed every elk they could find in the Methow Valley, left them lay rotting where they dropped.

Heard of a video some years back of WDFW shooting a herd of elk in the Oval Peak county via helicopter, 40 some head containing two bulls.

I would have to see evidence supporting their claim of hoof rot before I would take their word.

LOL!!  Don't you think its strange that you would have to see evidence of hoof rot to believe it, but "you heard about a video" and it must be true???  C'mon...

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2018, 01:25:18 PM »

LOL!!  Don't you think its strange that you would have to see evidence of hoof rot to believe it, but "you heard about a video" and it must be true???  C'mon...

:chuckle: :chuckle:
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline DaveMonti

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »

:chuckle: :chuckle:

Just like anyone else, the conspiracy crowd doesn't need logic to back up their beliefs.  Whatever "information" fits their agenda becomes gospel. 

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2018, 07:54:14 PM »

Not at all, as I had witnessed the killing of elk by WDFW years ago, drove by the elk they left to rot for several weeks.

As to your comment, most by now know who butters your bread.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2018, 08:04:37 PM »
MmmmKay.... funny you didn't mention that in your first post.

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2018, 08:46:51 PM »
There is not enough tinfoil in the whole state for this thread  :chuckle:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal