collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Peaches Ridge Draw Odds  (Read 15173 times)

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Peaches Ridge Draw Odds
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2018, 08:14:35 AM »
Regardless of points, most of the time, applying as a group does not help odds. Especially if there are a low number of permits for that particular hunt

:yeah: 

My hunting partner and I just decided that if one of us gets drawn, we'll both go and split the meat.  It's a win-win.  One guy gets some antlers and the other guy doesn't have to haul as much gear :chuckle:

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 09:42:25 AM »
Yup - many of my best hunts have been when I didnt have a tag due to not drawing or earlier tagged out.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2018, 06:37:12 PM »
I’m putting in for an Any Bull tag finally again. I drew an any bull tag back in 2000 and my dad has yet to draw. The only reason I’m putting in again is to hopefully better his odds. With my 8 points I’m hoping to help him draw the tag finally. Can’t remember the year this stupid draw started but he has that many points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The draw system started in 1996. If he has acquired a point every year since 1996, he has more than 8 points and should have around 23.. Putting in as a group with you hurts his chances because a group with members that have 23 and 8 points would go into the draw with 16 points.

To be honest with you in my opinion the draw system is broken has been broken and a lot of you agree with that.
Yes I have 8 points, he has been putting in since 1996 and has not drawn. I get the thinking that I will hurt his odds. But everyone says it’s the luck of the draw right. I could give 2 *censored*s if I draw a any bull tag. You have lots of people saying that oh you have  to many points you’ll never draw. Then you have people with just a few points that draw the tags, so what gives is it broken?

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 07:01:19 PM »
I’m putting in for an Any Bull tag finally again. I drew an any bull tag back in 2000 and my dad has yet to draw. The only reason I’m putting in again is to hopefully better his odds. With my 8 points I’m hoping to help him draw the tag finally. Can’t remember the year this stupid draw started but he has that many points.

The draw system started in 1996. If he has acquired a point every year since 1996, he has more than 8 points and should have around 23.. Putting in as a group with you hurts his chances because a group with members that have 23 and 8 points would go into the draw with 16 points.

To be honest with you in my opinion the draw system is broken has been broken and a lot of you agree with that.
Yes I have 8 points, he has been putting in since 1996 and has not drawn. I get the thinking that I will hurt his odds. But everyone says it’s the luck of the draw right. I could give 2 *censored*s if I draw a any bull tag. You have lots of people saying that oh you have  to many points you’ll never draw. Then you have people with just a few points that draw the tags, so what gives is it broken?

It depends on your definition of "broken". The more points one has, the greater chance he has of drawing.

You stated that you hoped to better your father's odds by applying with him; it has been pointed out that it would hurt his odds. How you choose to deal with that is up to you.

Good luck to you and your dad.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline mossback636

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2018, 08:26:13 PM »
 :yeah:
It’s all luck I know a guy who drew teanway bull tag 2 years ago with 2 points!! It’s all luck!!
drew the desert tag rifle rut hunt with 6, throw your name in the hat

Offline Roperfive88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2018, 09:55:32 PM »

There are not enough tags for everyone to draw how does that make the system broken.  Its a lottery and no one is owed a tag no matter how many points. He may never draw like alot of people  :sry:. More people will never draw a quality bull tag then will draw. Life is not fair  :twocents:.

Also,  its not thinking you will hurt his odds. Its a fact. Putting in as partners you are viewed as one applicant where they average your points. So all you would do is cost him 7pts and would have one less tag he could draw because if your app comes up and only one tag is avalible you dont draw.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:04:11 PM by Roperfive88 »

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2018, 11:19:12 PM »
It's definitely not "broken." Not sure why people say that. Just because you don't draw the permits you want to draw when you want to draw them, doesn't mean it's broken. People DO draw each and every permit every year. They go to someone. There just are far fewer permits than applicants. Just like everyone doesn't win the lottery. The lottery isn't broken either. It's just a game of chance.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2018, 05:35:30 AM »
It’s definitely a people to animal ratio problem. We know that WDFW manages for opportunity and when it comes to bull elks in much of this great state the opportunity is that of putting your number in a hat and hoping for the best year after year.
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2018, 08:08:18 AM »
It seems like your odds should get better and better. Not only do you gain more preference points, but hunter participation is on a decline right now so you should have less competition every year.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2018, 08:47:49 AM »
It seems like your odds should get better and better. Not only do you gain more preference points, but hunter participation is on a decline right now so you should have less competition every year.
For the first time since 2010, that occurred last year for some species.

Here's a graph for Quality Elk permits. The graph shows the "number of names in the hat", and also the number of applications for Quality Elk permits. You can see that the number of names in the hat steadily increased from 2010 to 2016, even though the number of applications was relatively flat. That occurred as applicants in the lower point levels moved up: going from one year to two years bumps up then number of names in the hat from one to four.

The drop in applications in 2017 was significant enough to result in a decrease in total names in the hat, so odds did improve overall.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2018, 08:55:09 AM »
I see I have met a fellow Excel junkie.  Hats off, my friend.

I guess that's the silver lining. 

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2018, 09:23:42 AM »
please everyone that not totally committed ... just drop out of the game !  :chuckle:
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline jackknife

• Pilgrim
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2018, 08:09:23 AM »
In my opinion the draw needs to go back to the way it started. Instead of putting in for quality, bull and cow you had to choose one.  I never put in for bull or cow tags back then  because i wasn't about to loose my pts. On those tags.

Offline Big6bull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2018, 10:04:50 AM »
I like the idea of just have one choice per catigory. It would keep the premium hunts still very difficult to draw ( some even more so) but the hunts that are more in the middle would have less applicants. Still be able to put in for cow bull and quality. Maybe square your points once you have 10 or more?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 10:19:47 AM by Big6bull »

Offline Branden

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2018, 11:50:41 AM »
I like the idea of just have one choice per catigory. It would keep the premium hunts still very difficult to draw ( some even more so) but the hunts that are more in the middle would have less applicants. Still be able to put in for cow bull and quality. Maybe square your points once you have 10 or more?

They square your points already.

Its simply supply and demand. To many hunters not enough tags. Either eliminate general season and go to all draw, or the odds will continue to suck unless hunters keep dropping out. And make sure your name is in the hat. You never know when you will get lucky. I drew when there was 1 tag and 347 applicants. My brother drew one also with the same odds. We also drew as partners with even worse odds. So it can be done.

Good luck in the draws this year.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg