collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Explorer vs Highlander advice?  (Read 5688 times)

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Explorer vs Highlander advice?
« on: April 30, 2018, 04:46:25 PM »
We have been car shopping for the wife and have it narrowed down to a 2013 Ford Explorer 4WD vs a 2012 Toyota Highlander AWD and she really can't decide which one she wants. They are comparable in price and mileage as well as mpg, anybody have any advice as to one vs the other? I kind of prefer 4WD over AWD but other than that they both get good reviews. Anybody have personal experience with either?

Offline bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Explorer vs Highlander advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 04:54:28 PM »
When we recently bought our SUV we had it narrowed down to the Explorer, Highlander and Pilot.  We ended up going a bit newer with a 2016 Explorer.  The Explorer is a little roomier and I thought handled a little better with the wider stance.  3 months later and we love the Explorer.  The thing is a mountainz goat in the snow and we couldn't be happier.
RIP Colockumelk   :salute:

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Genesis 27:3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 05:06:48 PM »
I know you've already narrowed it down to those two but maybe consider taking a look at the Lexus GX 470 from around that time? We bought a 2006 GX470 because it was about the same price as a 08 4 runner with less miles. Same platform as the 4runner (or the Prado internationally) and great added features because its luxury even if you get one that a few years older. They hold value well, awesome offroad capabilities and can go the distance and the maintenance really isn't that much more expensive. Just a thought since I can't add anything to the discussion about those rigs
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:02:18 PM by dwils233 »
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 05:07:48 PM »
We have been car shopping for the wife and have it narrowed down to a 2013 Ford Explorer 4WD vs a 2012 Toyota Highlander AWD and she really can't decide which one she wants. They are comparable in price and mileage as well as mpg, anybody have any advice as to one vs the other? I kind of prefer 4WD over AWD but other than that they both get good reviews. Anybody have personal experience with either?

I have a family member that has a Highlander about that same year and we have a 2017 Explorer Platinum.  To me, they are quite a bit different vehicles.  The Highlander is built off of the Camry platform and is definitely more car like than our Explorer is.  I don't think one is any worse/better than the other but they are definitely different.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 05:40:59 PM »
The Explorer is not a real 4wd vehicle FYI. With that said, it's great in the snow. We have a 2014 we've put 80k+ miles on. I'm also surrounded by Fords all day long here at my job. They're really nice vehicles. I'm not sure about the size of the Highlander, but I feel like the Explorer is a lot bigger than the Highlander if that's a factor. 3 rows of seats/7 passengers.
And they're a lot different than the exploders of old too.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 05:55:23 PM »
Other than reliability going to the Highlander, it basically is a personal choice.
Neither are serious off-road vehicles,  but both will get you from a to b in any weather.
Personally, I would not own a “exploder”, to many serious issues in the past for me to trust them “yet”.
 Too many goof SUVs out there.

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 06:03:20 PM »
Can I ask why you perfer 4wd vs awd?
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 06:56:08 PM »
My mom has a 2013 explorer and we were recently looking for a vehicle for my wife. Talked to my mom and dad about it and they are not very happy with it. So we went with the highlander. It is a little smaller but it still has 3rd row seats. One big thing with it is Ford was mixing metals around that time so they have issues with paint chipping and peeling. Couldn’t be happier with the Toyota. But they have had some recall stuff and warranty stuff that they had done with the ford dealerships up around Everett that all went bad so I think that left a bad taste in there mouth.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 07:50:23 PM »
No offense but I have written up an average of ~10 fords a day at a really high volume ford dealership for the last 5 years. I can literally count on 1 hand how many Ford anything’s I’ve written up for paint issues and the ones I’ve written up for paint issues are almost always dirt or runs in the paint. 

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 07:51:26 PM »
Other than reliability going to the Highlander, it basically is a personal choice.
Neither are serious off-road vehicles,  but both will get you from a to b in any weather.
Personally, I would not own a “exploder”, to many serious issues in the past for me to trust them “yet”.
 Too many goof SUVs out there.

Explorer has been a 100% totally different vehicle since 2011.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 07:52:30 PM »
I’m not trying to promote Ford. I am talking real world experiences though. I’m close to buying a new truck and it’s very likely it will be a Chevy. But only because I like the way they look better.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 07:59:25 PM »
No offense but I have written up an average of ~10 fords a day at a really high volume ford dealership for the last 5 years. I can literally count on 1 hand how many Ford anything’s I’ve written up for paint issues and the ones I’ve written up for paint issues are almost always dirt or runs in the paint.

co-worker bought a 2016 F150, it had to be repainted. It was like oxidization was bubbling through the paint with all these little pock marks.  It is white.

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 08:02:32 PM »

No offense taken. I can only go off what I have seen from her car and all along the front edge of the hood the paint is bubbling up and starting to chip. There’s a chance most of them happen after warranty and that’s why you don’t see them. As do other problems that happen with them very soon after warranty. And then a ford dealer most likely wouldn’t be the one doing the work on it.

Offline Pnwrider

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 08:25:14 PM »
My wife has a 2015 highlander. She loves it. Great family car, no complaints, would buy again. I looked hard at the explorer sport too. With the ecoboost it could tow my boat in a pinch.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 08:59:16 PM »

I guess just because her last car ate tires so bad. Thanks for all the replies everybody, sounds like both are good for the most part

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 10:10:05 PM »
Highlander all the way hands down!
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 05:00:44 AM »
Highlander all the way hands down!

Hard to beat a Toyota!
Although I have heard great things about the Explorers.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 05:11:42 AM »
Just remember 2018 Toyota is going to all these sensors on all there vehicles. This is something to consider when thinking about lifting them
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 07:30:38 AM »
Toyota/Lexus are the most overrrated vehicles on the road.
Only buy the Highlander for the styling.  The quality/design is mediocre at best.
Explorers have great drivetrains and the interior quality and design really stands up over time.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 08:14:28 AM »

I guess just because her last car ate tires so bad. Thanks for all the replies everybody, sounds like both are good for the most part

Tire rotations every 5k miles might help that if you weren't doing it. AWD is usually just a front wheel drive until they slip, then the transfer of power happens to the back wheels. So unless the front wheels are spinning without traction, you're pretty much driving a front wheel drive car.

Have you driven the 2 vehicles to compare?

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 11:20:25 AM »
Highlander is considered a mid-sized SUV while the Explorer is considered a large SUV.

Here is a pretty decent comparison of both for 2018:

https://www.asburyauto.com/compare/2018-toyota-highlander-vs-2018-ford-explorer/149374

The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
Psalm 144.1

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 11:21:35 AM »
I have to admit, I like the look of the Explorer better, as far as that goes.

My rock,
Psalm 144.1

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2018, 11:37:45 AM »
 :chuckle:
The Explorer base headlights definitely suck. The upgraded lights they come with are pretty amazing though. I swapped out the bulbs in ours to an aftermarket bulb and made a notable improvement for ~$50.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2018, 12:38:40 PM »

Tire rotations every 5k miles might help that if you weren't doing it. AWD is usually just a front wheel drive until they slip, then the transfer of power happens to the back wheels. So unless the front wheels are spinning without traction, you're pretty much driving a front wheel drive car.

Have you driven the 2 vehicles to compare?

We rotated very regularly. I think part of it had to do with the camber of her old rig. But yes we drove both and really like both. We like the styling of the explorer better but also know that toyotas are great rigs. They both drive very nice, but this is sort of an emergency purchase because her car threw a rod so it's pretty much toast so we are dealing with a budget of under 20k

Offline luckyman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2018, 04:47:05 PM »
Does either one sit on a frame?
I'm not sure.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2018, 04:50:51 PM »
Does either one sit on a frame?

No
The Explorer is a sub frame front and rear. I bet the Toyota is similar.

Offline Old Man Yager

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 04:57:15 PM »
Own older Toyotas, and they just won't die!!
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 05:47:31 PM »
The Highlander is a "Crossover" the Explorer is an SUV.  Like I said before, one is more car like than it is SUV and the other is more SUV and less car like.

IMO, if it is nearly always going to be used as a grocery getter and the most you'll use it for is hauling the kids to soccer games and such, the Highlander will likely be the perfect fit, but if you are looking for something that you'll use for things slightly more rugged, the Explorer will probably be a better fit for you.

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 11:31:45 PM »
Only buy the Highlander for the styling.  The quality/design is mediocre at best.
Explorers have great drivetrains and the interior quality and design really stands up over time.

Really? The styling? The highlander will outwork and outlast the explorer with out a doubt. I have owned both in the last couple years and the Ford can’t even compete with the Toyota. I drive an f350 diesel daily, but trust me in the suv department Toyota is the only option.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 11:43:54 PM »
I’ve always had great fortune with Toyota’s and will always go that route if I can. We currently own three and have always had great results. My wife has a sequoia now and when it’s time to sell will probably go Highlander. Remember Lexus IS just the fancy Toyota brand

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2018, 05:54:47 AM »

Really? The styling? The highlander will outwork and outlast the explorer with out a doubt. I have owned both in the last couple years and the Ford can’t even compete with the Toyota. I drive an f350 diesel daily, but trust me in the suv department Toyota is the only option.

I was thinking the same thing. Ive owned Avalons, Camry's, Tundras, and Tacomas. All extremely dependable, extremely low maintenance, Extremely good resale, almost zero repair costs running them over 200,000 miles. I bought my wife a GM luxury car, nice rig but not as dependable, not as well built, nothing on it is a smooth as the Avalon. I had a 2000 Avalon with 239,000 miles on it. The leather interior still looked new. Not that way on any ford or GM product Ive seen. Start getting up around a 100,000 and the leather doesn't usually look to good. Huge difference in quality. My Silverados and Fords have been good trucks, but not trouble free like my Toyotas. I would never say Toyota is over rated! Thats just from my personal experience. In fact Ive been looking at another Avalon. We'll see!

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2018, 06:36:28 AM »
This is an interesting debate here. My son & daughter-in-law have a 14' or 15' Exploder. It has had some mechanical issues and is starting to develop an issue with the paint (silver). I've road in it & drove it on a couple of road trips. It is just ok for me when it comes to ride,comfort & fit n finish. I find it interesting they call them an suv because my gravel driveway would be the furthest off the pavement it went. My wife has borrowed it a couple times to go to a dr apt that our pickup wouldn't fit in the parking garage and she hates it and would never buy one. No experience with the highlander but our friends have a similar year Toyota 4 Runner that's 10 times the vehicle in every way. So for me it would be an easy decision in this case based on Toyotas reliability and resale and my meh experience with an exploder. :twocents:

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2018, 07:07:02 PM »
 :) "ThinkingMan" hates Toyota and does not think much about it. He also hates Leupold. You can find many posts about it.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2018, 07:18:29 AM »
Well we decided to go with the Highlander after a lot of back and forth. Picking it up on Saturday, thanks again everybody for the input

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2018, 03:46:45 PM »
Well we decided to go with the Highlander after a lot of back and forth. Picking it up on Saturday, thanks again everybody for the input

Great choice! :tup:

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2018, 07:49:08 AM »
:) "ThinkingMan" hates Toyota and does not think much about it. He also hates Leupold. You can find many posts about it.
Carl
Having owned two Toyota’s over the past 15 years and racking up over 200,00 miles, I’m more than qualified to make a few observations.
I’m constantly amazed that the RAV4 and Lexus GX have the side-mounted door that swings TOWARD the curb.
I’m still boiling over the Tacoma rear spring failure that I reported to TOA in 2010 that they flatly denied which became a RECALL, among other ridiculous shortcomings. Somehow, my Tacoma passed the FRAME REPLACEMENT RECALL WITH RUST HOLES IN THE FRAME. The axle wrap on that truck was laughable. I can’t believe people ignore or simply fail to realize how lame theses cars really are.
The gas cap door RUSTED OFF.

The Tundra drivers who ignore driving bed rust case with flat rear suspension amaze me.
How do people ignore this stuff and still suck Toyota ‘s popsicle?
Unbelievable.
These are recalls, not just my opinion.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU