collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is there a better way to reduce cougar numbers?  (Read 7447 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Is there a better way to reduce cougar numbers?
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2018, 11:56:00 AM »
I love that you want to find a solution. I fear that you're missing the point and basis for our predator problems in WA.

Before you can effectively reduce cougar numbers, the WDFW has to become better at their counts. The quotas are based on a percentage take of 14% +/- 2% to maintain healthy cougar populations. Recent studies in ID have shown that cougar populations may be at least twice as high as current modeling allows. So, if our numbers aren't accurate, either will the targets, by half. At current quotas, if the ID studies are correct, cougar populations will continue to meet or exceed "maximum" population levels.

There are so many challenges which face us if effective cougar management is to take place, and a great many of them are simply out of our hands - the WDFW's ability (inability), to accurately estimate populations, Jay Inslee's propensity to suck up to animal rights activists with deep pockets (he doesn't give a crap about the animals, but the money he gets from HSUS...wow!), so-called university biologists who are willing to falsify data to forward personal agendas, and the media which, with astounding ignorance, pounces at every opportunity to portray our predators as unfairly pursued, cuddly, and at any given moment, on the verge of extinction to those ignorant of conservation and the truth. I believe that the predator spiral in WA will continue out of control until the ungulates are severely reduced (or gone like the woodland caribou), and more granola eaters' children are attacked and killed.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2018, 11:58:36 AM »
A 8 year old female. Just rechecked tooth data.

Thanks, she was a pretty wide ranging female!

She probably wasn't counted in the state since she was a transit who crossed borders.   :chuckle: :chuckle:

:chuckle: well we are a sanctuary state...

And that explains the wolves up there as well.  :dunno:

:yeah: :chuckle:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2018, 12:03:08 PM »
You could always let the cattle rancher's deal with them when they see them.

Wouldn't count towards quota just collateral damage. Same as calf loss to cougars but on the other foot.

I still favor this since they are out everyday could be effective.  :IBCOOL:

Offline eastsidemallard74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • EVEN THE PRESIDENT OF PETA EVOLVED FROM A HUNTER .
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2018, 01:06:35 PM »
We could just overpay a biologist like $4mill a year, to help"regulate", seems to be working with the wolves issue.  :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:. Sarcasm for those that don't get it. I think until the cougars/wolves start wandering the streets of Olympia, Bellevue, Kirkland, it won't be big issue on why/how to fix. i said it in another post. Get a tranquilizer, shoot 5-6 of them and release in these areas. Than it will become a big deal when the $2500 purse dog/cat disappears.  :tup:
Is it waterfowl season yet..............

Offline timberfaller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2018, 06:03:11 PM »
 :yeah: and MORE the better!!
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2018, 08:38:21 AM »
We could just overpay a biologist like $4mill a year, to help"regulate", seems to be working with the wolves issue.  :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:. Sarcasm for those that don't get it. I think until the cougars/wolves start wandering the streets of Olympia, Bellevue, Kirkland, it won't be big issue on why/how to fix. i said it in another post. Get a tranquilizer, shoot 5-6 of them and release in these areas. Than it will become a big deal when the $2500 purse dog/cat disappears.  :tup:

I would like to think that people would see the light when attacks happen but multiple attacks in California prove that theory isn't as strong as we would think. I see by the public comments regarding the cougar attack in North Bend that even though cougar are hunted very little in WA, some people think hunting caused the attack to happen. I'm afraid WA is too much like CA to expect much support for more management.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2018, 08:45:01 AM »
CA doesn't have any cougar hunting.  They got rid of all of it years ago.  They have lots of problems with them....goes agianst the WSU crackpot's theory of older cats keeping the young ones in line.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2018, 08:43:03 PM »
I for one have switched from Deer and elk to focus solely on bear and cougar.  When my tags are filled I’ll focus on getting friends and family tags filled.  Then anyone that will go with me.  We kill a lot of predators every year, does it make a dent :dunno: but it’s my passion and I like to think it helps.

For those interested in hunting the hunters
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,185537.0.html
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand