collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Africa Family Safari Fun  (Read 4834 times)

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Africa Family Safari Fun
« on: May 01, 2018, 12:28:08 PM »
I’d like to share some photos and experiences from our family safari to Africa.  We just returned from two weeks on the dark continent and had the experience of our lives.  I’ll have to break this up into a few different posts over the next few days so bear with me. 

The first week we spent doing Mission work in the town of Oyster Bay on the Indian Ocean, interacting and seeing my kids with the local children without any prejudice to social economic status or race was very gratifying.  Each day we were challenged in new ways as we served those who have less materially than we do, but live a life with more joy and happiness than many in America do.  Families living in shacks that are the size of an American living room without running water or electricity was a daily reminder of how fortunate and blessed we are in America. 

After the first week we changed locations to out of Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape of South Africa.  The terrain here consisted of large rolling hills covered with thick brush, which all seemed to be spikey or thorny.  For this hunt I had two target animals for myself, Kudu and Impala.  Knowing that Kudu hunting can be very challenging depending on the time of year, I wanted to make sure that I had adequate time to get my target animals as well as have enough time for my kids to do some hunting as well.  I told each of my kids that they could have a cull animal, not knowing how long it would take them to harvest their animals due to the numerous challenges associated with young hunters.  My two boys had passed hunters ed last summer but hunts last fall did not produce for them.  My oldest daughter who in the past hasn’t expressed an interest in hunting did about 3 months before the trip so I wanted to make sure she got her opportunity.  And my youngest wanted a cape buffalo, I told him that wasn’t happening but we’d see what we could do.  Other animals for dad would be dependent upon how their hunts went and what the budget would allow. 

After getting to the ranch on Sunday afternoon a quick trip to the rifle range was in store where we all shot the rifles we would be shooting, I was using a Sako in 7mm, while the kids would be using a Sake in .243.  Suppressors on the rifle significantly reduced noise and recoil and everyone was hitting on target.  We were ready to go on Monday morning.  My PH told me that I was hitting the start of the Kudu rut just about perfectly as the big bulls were coming out of the brush.  My two ten year old boys were up and ready to go with me that morning as we took off for Kudu from the ranch.  That morning it didn’t take long to get into the bulls, as I spotted one with only his horns visible above the brush within five minutes of starting to glass.  That morning we put on over 3.5 miles through the brush and looked over 20 bulls before my PH told me to shoot that one!  The sense of urgency in his voice told me it was a very good bull as we had already passed on a number of bulls that looked good to me.  It happened very quickly as we had passed over a small saddle and were side-hilling when on the other side a big bull stood with his cows.  One quick shot and the bull went down.   When I walked up to my bull I was very pleased, especially since my boys were at my side for the entire hunt.  Although the hunt for Kudu was quicker than anticipated, I was thankful the pressure was off knowing it would allow more opportunities for other animals and excursions later in the week.  The previous week it had taken one of the hunters 5 days to finally get his kudu, but like I said, I think I hit the timing just about perfect.  Spent that afternoon hunting another part of the ranch where I passed on a big impala and at one point in the brush we were following leopard prints.  It was great to be out in the brush with my whole family as we explored this new country.  No more shots were fired on Monday, but Tuesday we would drive to another concession that was more open and better suited for the younger hunters.  Tuesday was going to be a very eventful day as we were going to attempt to get 4 kids their first animals. 

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
Re: Africa Family Safari Fun
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 12:31:38 PM »

My kudu bull. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline elkaholic123

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Montana Dirty Dozen,Life member RMEF,NAHC, WSF
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 12:44:30 PM »
Beautiful Bull Brian, congrats on your hunt and sounds like your family had a once in a lifetime experience...
elkaholic

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 02:38:54 PM »
 :tup: tag

Online Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 07:49:47 PM »
Making me want to go back!
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 07:49:26 AM »
Lucky kids. Our big family trips were to tick-infested cabins on Nantucket. It looks like you had quite a time!  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 08:26:30 AM »
Awesome, Brian. Really glad you guys had a good time.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Bwana Bob

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 08:43:53 AM »
Awesome Kudu Brian

Offline cedarriver

• Cedar River Taxidermy
  • Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
    • Cedar River Taxidermy
    • Cedar River Taxidermy
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 08:57:08 AM »
 What an experience for all! Thank you Brian for doing what you do. Beautiful Kudu.
We give your trophy that final compliment!

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 09:23:14 AM »
Very nice!  Keep sharing!
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 09:25:52 AM »
What a great experience for your family.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 09:30:30 AM »
 :tup: Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 09:46:27 AM »
Tuesday
Up bright and early this morning we headed up to a property that was a few hours away, the main reason for this is it is a lot more open which would provide the kids with a better opportunity for their first animals.  Upon entering the property we found a nice herd of young impala rams, my son Drew was first up and after a short stalk and a 75 yard shot his first animal was on the ground.  We pursued the remaining rams for a few hours but that only resulted in a missed shot for my other boy.  Changing gears we went after blesbuck.  We found a large herd and after a careful stalk Aaron put down his ram at 212 yards.  Just before lunch our PH found an impala ram that he really wanted me to shoot as this country has good genetics and this was a big ram.  Another short stalk resulted in a one shot kill on my impala.  Next up was my daughter who before this trip had never shot a full size gun.  We found a herd of 97 blesbuck and when this one separated itself from the herd she made a great shot on it.  Now we had 3 first time animals down, the only one who hadn’t shot anything was my youngest.  He had been patiently waiting his turn.  It took several different set ups with him but in the end we found an old blesbuck ram that offered the shot opportunity we needed.  After that it was time to call it a day, I was sure proud of the fine shooting had by the kids.  Loved seeing those big smiles on all my kids as they posed with their animals.  Fantastic family memories were made this day. 

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 09:48:14 AM »

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 09:49:37 AM »