collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Goat unit accessibility  (Read 7234 times)

Offline Bill W

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
Re: Goat unit accessibility
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 12:03:32 PM »
I drew 20 years ago and some of the billies we spotted were in hanging valleys.  No way to get to them expect with a helicopter and a net to catch them as they rolled off.   I felt the area we drew had some of the nastiest (steepest) terrain in the state.  My buddy shot a big billy.  I didn't see a shooter.

One we did spot and I was waiting for him to come out to play would have required either a rappel down an ice wall or a drive up thru Sumas and then down Chilliwack and then some logging roads to the goat.  It was right next to the border.

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 12:09:14 PM »
Slow and steady wins the race.
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline shanevg

• Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 01:24:37 PM »
I drew 20 years ago and some of the billies we spotted were in hanging valleys.  No way to get to them expect with a helicopter and a net to catch them as they rolled off.   I felt the area we drew had some of the nastiest (steepest) terrain in the state.  My buddy shot a big billy.  I didn't see a shooter.

One we did spot and I was waiting for him to come out to play would have required either a rappel down an ice wall or a drive up thru Sumas and then down Chilliwack and then some logging roads to the goat.  It was right next to the border.

That unit is gnarly!!!

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 01:49:11 PM »
It's not nearly as bad when you're over there. You pick your way through it and get where you need to get.
That pic was taken a really long ways away by Rainier10, then I zoomed in on it and took a screen shot of it.
I love that pic.  It was first thing in the morning and I was so excited to be on a goat hunt I am not sure I was thinking straight.  I know I talked you into going over there but everytime I look at that pic I think to myself, "Josh had every right to not want to go over there.  I am not sure why I thought we could."

I did know we had to try.  Luckily it worked.  The first part of "the path" on the way back with heavy packs was more than a little sketchy.

It really makes me think hard about what I will do when "I draw a tag long before I am due."

I think access on a good day is difficult.  The weather really adds an uncontrollable variable to it.  You can train and scout but if it's foggy or snowed in you are done, season over.

Unless for some unknown reason it warms up, rains for a week straight, melts two feet of snow and then turns to bluebird skies on a weekend that you invite some optimistic "Mr. positive" type of guy that you met on the internet to go try one last time.  :chuckle:
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 02:01:16 PM »
Are you looking for a rough and rugged live out of your pack hunt or are you looking for more easier accessible units?
Im looking for more easy accessible units cause Im disabled. Defenitly open to any sugestions?
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 02:33:11 PM »
Are you looking for a rough and rugged live out of your pack hunt or are you looking for more easier accessible units?
Im looking for more easy accessible units cause Im disabled. Defenitly open to any sugestions?

I believe there are a couple pictures of guys getting goats off of Rimrock lake later in the season. (goat rocks east)

If access and mobility is an issue you may want to put in for the raffle because there are more units available than in the permit units and blaze ridge has goats you can almost drive up to.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 02:41:12 PM »

I believe there are a couple pictures of guys getting goats off of Rimrock lake later in the season. (goat rocks east)

If access and mobility is an issue you may want to put in for the raffle because there are more units available than in the permit units and blaze ridge has goats you can almost drive up to.

If it's the pics I'm thinking of, the hunter found the goat from a boat on Walupt Lake, hiked up to him, shot him and brought him out in the boat. I was told goats are occasionally seen from the lake if there's weather to push them down. This lake would be in the new west part of the hunt area. I thought it was Rimrock too.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 02:59:11 PM »
Certainly not a goat expert but I would think that as a disabled hunter if you were not trying to get a goat close to winter so the hair is better that you could access the areas a little better with good weather and be able to get to a shooting spot.  I am not sure you would be able to get to where the goat dies but your hunting party should be able to.

Even with good weather it wouldn't be easy by any means but you would take some of the weather factor out of it.  Fog could still be an issue.

I told Josh if I drew I would have to seriously consider having someone pack me in on horses and set up a wall tent camp for 7-10 days.  That would keep me in the goat area and give me the best shot at having a few good weather days to get it done without having to go all the way up and down the mountain every weekend or couple of days.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 04:20:58 PM »

Wow, this one really took off! A lot of good goat bs but I was hoping for more first hand knowledge of specific units. I’m definitely not disabled and am quite aware there are no easy goats. I’m well prepared for a backpack hunt deep into the unit but am not a mountain climber.  That being said, I’ve seen a lot of goats in my travels. Most of them where they don’t offer permits. Some of those goats are in country not fit for man nor beast while others are in more hunter friendly haunts. Thanks for the advice given though.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 04:55:46 PM »
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 05:33:29 PM »

Wow, this one really took off! A lot of good goat bs but I was hoping for more first hand knowledge of specific units. I’m definitely not disabled and am quite aware there are no easy goats. I’m well prepared for a backpack hunt deep into the unit but am not a mountain climber.  That being said, I’ve seen a lot of goats in my travels. Most of them where they don’t offer permits. Some of those goats are in country not fit for man nor beast while others are in more hunter friendly haunts. Thanks for the advice given though.

I've drawn twice and filled once so I'd say I've got goat experience.  :chuckle:  again, are you looking for an accessible area with moderate terrain or backcountry scaling towers of death to chase the white dragons?

I've chased them in all terrains.

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2018, 05:43:33 PM »

I've drawn twice and filled once so I'd say I've got goat experience.  :chuckle:  again, are you looking for an accessible area with moderate terrain or backcountry scaling towers of death to chase the white dragons?

I’m talking mountain goats. Not white dragons?

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2018, 05:52:16 PM »

I’m talking mountain goats. Not white dragons?

In my 2 Mt Goat hunts I called them white dragons because they lived in places where wings were required, tallest peaks and only brave knights would venture to get them.

So, are you looking for moderate accessible terrain or sheer rock faces where the pucker factor is they the roof?

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2018, 06:02:19 PM »
if I had doubts about my ability to hunt in steep, rocky country on foot 3 to 5 miles from a vehicle, I would do one of two things: (1) apply in an area that has outfitters who could take me in and out on horseback, or (2) choose not to apply.

It would be a shame to have a mountain goat permit that you couldn't do justice to. :twocents:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2018, 06:30:24 PM »
if I had doubts about my ability to hunt in steep, rocky country on foot 3 to 5 miles from a vehicle, I would do one of two things: (1) apply in an area that has outfitters who could take me in and out on horseback, or (2) choose not to apply.

It would be a shame to have a mountain goat permit that you couldn't do justice to. :twocents:

That’s good advice. I’ll stop asking about units and just randomly apply.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]