collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Peaches Ridge / Drop Camp? (Update)  (Read 15184 times)

Offline acrocker

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA
Re: Peaches Ridge / Drop Camp?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 07:57:24 PM »
We drew the tag last year and planned to hire an outfitter to pack us in - right up until the fire shut down the wilderness for the commercial outfitters. We then camped right along the edge and hunted inside the wilderness boundaries by hiking in each day. We hunted 10 straight days and I saw 5 elk, no bulls. When I say we hunted, we are not talking about driving the roads - we burned boot leather, both in the Wilderness and out. We hunted off the PCT, at Blowout Mtn, at Mt Clifty, and other areas. Between my partner and I we only saw the 5 elk - tough year. I've hunted that unit before and found plenty of elk, but as soon as I have a big bull tag, *POOF* they're gone.

If I draw again, I would love to get on horseback and get away from the crowds, I think it would make a world of difference. One thing I did see, though, was wolf tracks - lots of them. Followed a pack of about 5 or 6 up the trail to Blowout Mtn, right on the PCT in the snow, clear as day... No wonder we didn't find any elk...

Offline eliandsky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 08:02:18 PM »
Yea I’d take RT up on the offer. And I believe he’s also right you don’t need an outfitter to get a big bull down and you won’t be stuck in one area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 08:51:16 PM »
About ten years back I did a drop camp with Chinook Pass Outfitters and had a very positive experience. It was a little non traditional for a drop camp because they packed in my own gear and I was responsible for set up and tear down. I got everything that I paid for and would do it again if I ever got another quality tag. 
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline deerlick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2018, 08:57:01 PM »
If you think the outfitter knows where the elk are you will be highly disappointed.

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2018, 09:18:20 PM »
Hmmmm.  I suspect your comment is based off a poor experience?  If you don’t mind please PM me if you had a rotten experience with a specific Outfitter, I’d love to know more and avoid any mistakes if at all possible.  Thank you

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2018, 10:02:22 PM »
Wow. That’s awesome. No need to go any further than response #1 on this post. A few things
1. You don’t wanna know what the odds are to draw that tag
2. Hopefully you get those tags
3. The psychosis of the peaches elk crew runs deep and they’re good peeps to the core, they will put you and cuz on bulls.
4. End of story...AND there’s no way that an outfitter would be more fun to hunt with than those guys!!
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 05:25:54 AM »
Glad to hear your cousin is doing better!! Hope you guys draw that tag that would be a quality hunt for the 2 of you.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 07:03:14 AM »
RT is correct, you really don't need a guide and  he can he hook you up  :tup:

BUT, if a drop camp or guided hunt is what your after, here's my  :twocents:

Chinook class outfitters can get a camp you want. Drop you off and pick you up any of units in the area.
White Pass outfitters is also another, but don't know if they drop camp in Peaches area,  Rimrock and Bumping, yes. ... and only heard good things about them.

If your looking for guided,
Rugged Class Outfitters is where I would spend my money. Ty Brown knows that unit like no other and is a stand up guy  :tup: Jerry and Robin are great guys and can call elk like no other......

Good luck on the draw  :hello:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 11:09:38 AM »
Can’t believe how many incredible pm’s I’ve received and overall generosity of others willing to provide a helping hand to a complete stranger.  Hope to meet many of you guys in-person someday.

Offline Duckhunter14

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSF Life Member, RMGA
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 12:11:48 PM »
All Idaho is DIY, no need to hire a guide.  WA is a totally different story.  In summary due to his limitations scouting would be extremely difficult.  In the event we got drawn we’d rely on help getting us into the country we need to be.  Trust me, my cousin was born and raised in MT, dad was an Outfitter, and he’s use to busting his ass.  This handicap has turned his world upside down when it comes to hunting style so we’re simply trying to maximize the opportunity given his disability.

If you hunt with any success on public ground in Idaho you wont have any issue finding elk during the heart of the rut in Peaches. Like was mentioned before. You don't need a guide. There are people on here that can help. If you're wanting just the pack in style experience then by all means go that route. But I would think you could be picky with that tag and be able to hunt within a mile of spots to park while still having a comfortable camp to rest at night for him.  :twocents: Good luck in the draw. Glad to hear he kicked his cancer!
The testing of your faith produces perseverance

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Peaches Ridge / Drop Camp? (Update)
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 08:17:43 PM »
 Quick update - my cousin and I got drawn for the muzzy hunt that kicks off Sept 28.  Can’t believe it, I started this thread well before the draw as a “what if” discussion, now where in the thick of going over maps, planning our scouting trip, etc.

Since my original post I’ve had the chance to correspond with some knowledgeable folks, can’t believe how many pm’s I recd even before the draw.  In summary I
we’re leaning towards either hauling our camper over for base camp or curious if the Forest Service has any rentals...or anyone know of a close in cabin for rent?  Due to my cousins post-chemo nerve issues, it would be best if we had access to fresh ice on a daily basis to soak his feet once, if not twice per day.  The drop camp would’ve worked due to the close proximity of cold running creek water.

Anyways, a huge thank you goes out to the help I’ve already received and hopefully the pointers to come.  We each had 13 pts so feel very blessed.  Looking forward to a fantastic experience of being in the woods for 9 days,

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 08:47:15 PM »
Squaw Rock Resort has cabins, and is close. I've stayed there quite a few times over the years.

Offline Wingin it

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 09:00:32 PM »
That is incredible! Congratulations on the draw and good luck to you guys!

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 09:05:05 PM »
Congrats on the tag. Plenty of cold creeks to soak feet in around that area, I do it all the time.

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 09:05:32 PM »
Looks like you need to get in touch with RT! Congrats on the draw and good luck the hunt :tup:
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw