collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Peaches Ridge / Drop Camp? (Update)  (Read 15171 times)

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Peaches Ridge / Drop Camp? (Update)
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2018, 09:38:06 PM »
Looks like you need to get in touch with RT! Congrats on the draw and good luck the hunt :tup:
:yeah: :tup:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2018, 09:42:55 PM »
Squaw Rock Resort has cabins, and is close. I've stayed there quite a few times over the years.

Good grub, affordable and BronYrAur Brewpub not that far down the hwy with great pizza too.  Whats not to like!

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2018, 10:05:45 PM »
Hunting camp and having a big ice chest stocked with ice just for soaking his feet, not hard to do at all....
Can always restock at Whistling Jack, Gold Creek, or Squaw Rock.

Glad you got drawn, have fun on your hunt  :tup:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2018, 09:22:25 AM »
Hunting camp and having a big ice chest stocked with ice just for soaking his feet, not hard to do at all....
Can always restock at Whistling Jack, Gold Creek, or Squaw Rock.

Glad you got drawn, have fun on your hunt  :tup:

That would be ideal, just making sure we explore any and all options.  Thanks for the well wishes, looking forward to spending 9 days in God’s country!

Offline huntnut26

• Tracker
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2018, 04:20:41 PM »
If you guys want any help on your hunt PM me I would sure help out.

Offline Gonehuntin01

• Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, DU
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2018, 07:20:36 AM »
What a great story and congrats to you guys.  People on here are just amazing and what makes this site great.  Good luck to you guys.  I hope to be able to follow you guys on here for your hunt.  I am sure you will make it a memorable one. 

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2018, 07:27:22 AM »
What a great story and congrats to you guys.  People on here are just amazing and what makes this site great.  Good luck to you guys.  I hope to be able to follow you guys on here for your hunt.  I am sure you will make it a memorable one.

Thank you!  Perhaps this tag was meant to be?  Whatever be the case we’re both humbled and feel lucky.  Now it’s time to put boots on the ground and learn as much as we can.  We’re both very greatful for the PM’s and advice received this far. 

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2018, 07:39:39 AM »
Either camper or cabins would work. As said above, there are stores close by for ice, food, or whatever else you might need.

Also, that is a killer tag! There should be lots of fires up bulls fairly close to the road!

Offline BeerBugler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2018, 08:11:54 AM »
For your particular situation, I highly recommend camping somewhere in the unit! The year I had this tag there was a bull going nuts right behind our camp every morning while we were getting ready. We never did hunt that bull but we would have had the option if needed. There WILL be elk along the river in the mornings and evenings. I’m not recommending you hunt there,  just saying by camping there you will have additional options/opportunities. The extra 30-40 minutes it takes to drive to a cabin could cost you opportunity. We day hunted the Wilderness and had an outstanding hunt, no need for guide/outfitter to kill a good bull but I’m sure it would be very fun. We took a full day off hunting after my bull.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2018, 08:59:21 AM »
The problem with a drop camp is you are committed to an area.  With the fire, I bet the behavior is really going to change this year and I wouldn't trust that anyone can predict where they are with 100% certainty.  If there aren't elk within a reasonable distance from your camp, you are in trouble.

That unit is easy to access from many different places and tons of good habitat within 1-2 miles reasonable walk from roads.  i would have a central camp that I could drive to a dozen spots within 45 minutes and be mobile unless you are really looking for a traditional backcountry experience.

Offline kevinc

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: master hunter
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2018, 09:29:31 PM »
I have been on the trip with a drop camp by White pass outfitters, They did an outstanding job. Good camp, checked on us everyday. I made the mistake of passing on a 5 point opening morning, had one more opportunity but he winded me and bolting. Terry and company were awesome.

Offline kevinc

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: master hunter
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2018, 09:35:22 PM »
Oh... I mean Kent, i'll be back up there using Kent next time I draw elk or goat!

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2018, 12:59:20 PM »
If it doesn't work out with him let me know I can give you a couple days all you need to do is to 300 yards off the Logging Road and ubgot a very good chance to get a bull.
My cousin had a long and lengthy battle with cancer a few years back and came out on top.  He went through months and months of chemo and other treatments and with Gods helping hand and determination he’s currently cancer free.  That said, one of the major side effects with all the treatment is mobility in his feet.  He can’t hike long distances but can get up and down rugged terrain, slow and steady.  He and I were visiting about the possibility of teaming up and applying as a 2 person group for muzzy elk in the Peaches Ridge area.  He’s accumulated (like many others) a boat load of points and I’m sitting on 13.  Let’s skip forward and assume we get drawn; I’m well aware of the odds game so lets keep this discussion to the question at hand.

If we got drawn our plan would be to hire an Outfitter for a drop camp.  Given anyone’s experience, how far of a horseback ride would you want to get away from the roads?  I’d say a 5-6 mile ride would be all he could handle given the issues with blood flow to his feet.  Once at camp, assuming we get dropped in the heart of elk country, what’s the likelihood of being able to call a bull within .5-1 mile from camp?  Do most drop camps setup a couple miles out of the good areas or could a guy get put right into elk given this scenario?  Any recommendations on Outfitters, drop camps, do’s or don’t would be greatly appreciated.  There’s plenty of post on Peaches Ridge but this scenario is a bit different.

Thank you in advance for your input, I appreciate it!

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2018, 02:34:00 PM »
Thanks for all the offers, we both appreciate it very much.

Offline Brena.Hunter

• Women's Board
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2018, 09:29:13 PM »
Congrats on drawing. That's awesome! My buddy and I had the modern firearm tags for Peaches last year. It was a crazy year, hardly saw anything in the first week. Except for that 6 point that ran across the road the day before season opener! :bash: So when I had a 3x4 in my scope I decided to not be greedy. I helped my buddy during the second week and he ended up with a monster 6x7. His first branch antler. While we often go deep and always hunt hard, both elk were taken within moderate walks from roads. I understand that you want the backcountry experience, but you don't have to go deep into Norse Peak to be remote or get a good bull in Peaches.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]