collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2018 Rocky Raffle  (Read 8780 times)

Offline GurrCentral

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: GurrCentral
2018 Rocky Raffle
« on: May 08, 2018, 09:27:28 PM »
Tickets are available to purchase for the 2018 Washington Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep raffle. As of today 2,047 tickets have been sold. This number will be updated on the Washington WSF website. Ticket orders must be received by July 7, 2018. Drawing held by July 19, 2018

Link to flyer: http://washingtonwsf.org/2018_WA_Rocky_Mtn_Bighorn_Raffle_Flyer_Download.pdf

Offline Falcon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: 2018 Rocky Raffle
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 06:35:27 PM »
Thanks Garret.   I’ll be sending in my annual donation :drool:
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 06:43:36 PM »
No sense in putting in, my name is already on the winning ticket!   
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Falcon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 07:33:17 PM »
No sense in putting in, my name is already on the winning ticket!

Cocky as usual  :chuckle:
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 08:02:58 PM »
Tickets are available to purchase for the 2018 Washington Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep raffle. As of today 2,047 tickets have been sold. This number will be updated on the Washington WSF website. Ticket orders must be received by July 7, 2018. Drawing held by July 19, 2018

Link to flyer: http://washingtonwsf.org/2018_WA_Rocky_Mtn_Bighorn_Raffle_Flyer_Download.pdf
Gurr central,  how are these sheep managed? Do both sub herds meet the threshold for harvest? How many tags are offered to through the draw system?

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 10:00:12 AM »
I've seen some video and pics of some rams in there and wow is all I can say. The ram in the flyer is small compared the ones I seen.
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline ramslam

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 11:53:24 AM »
Just saw your questions Tbar so I will weigh in...

Your "how are they managed" questions I need a bit more specifics on in order to answer.  All herds in the state have a management plan including population objectives, etc.  I would say the Rocky herds in SE Washington are the most intensely managed/monitored bighorns anywhere.  The revenue that WDFW gets from the Rocky raffle is used as part of the Hells Canyon initiative which includes lots of collaring and field monitoring of lambs.  I really believe the intensity of what happens in the field in Hells Canyon and in the WSU labs is what led researchers to discover that "M Ovi" is at the root of the disease issue for bighorns.   New bighorns have been translocated into the Tucannon (a few from Asotin and some from MT) as well as Hall Mtn (from MT).  The "test and cull" for M Ovi shedders was born right here in our Asotin unit and seems to be working.   It's now being applied in Black Butte. 

I wrote the proposal for the Rocky raffle in 2004 and presented to the WDFW commission in April that year on behalf of WA WSF.  It was approved and the first WA Rocky raffle occurred in 2005.   What spawned the idea for it for me was as I spent time in the SE herds filming and watching rams, I realized that within many of the herds an older, mature ram or two was present.  Because of the low overall numbers due to the 95-96 die-off, however, the individual herds did not meet meet the threshold to have a draw tag, collectively they did.  We know because of extensive telemetry data that movement exists.  Bighorns from the Wenaha can go the Mtn View or Tucannon and those in Mtn View can go to Asotin Ck or Black Butte, etc.  Obviously, Hall Mtn is isolated but including it as an open unit does give the raffle winner the option to hunt there or another open unit.  I do not recall what year 113 was added but since then only one of the raffle rams has come from up there.  Bios make recommendations each year on which units are added or subtracted in order to minimize any biological impact.  Of course the same tag system could be used for a "Rocky draw tag" instead of raffle but without the benefit of money raised specifically for our Rockys (gotta be pushing $2 million since its inception?).

One other interesting tid bit is the WA rocky raffle has only been won 4 or 5 times by the person that spent the most out of 13 years of the raffle.  I can actually only think of four but in my old age I might be forgetting one! The drawing is always drawn by WDFW at one of their offices in mid July.  We kinda have a long window to do the drawing and that's simply scheduling with WDFW. 

I hope that helps.  Let me know if you have other questions.  Now I need to order my tickets!  I'm waaaaaay over due!

Glen

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 05:52:19 PM »
Just saw your questions Tbar so I will weigh in...

Your "how are they managed" questions I need a bit more specifics on in order to answer.  All herds in the state have a management plan including population objectives, etc.  I would say the Rocky herds in SE Washington are the most intensely managed/monitored bighorns anywhere.  The revenue that WDFW gets from the Rocky raffle is used as part of the Hells Canyon initiative which includes lots of collaring and field monitoring of lambs.  I really believe the intensity of what happens in the field in Hells Canyon and in the WSU labs is what led researchers to discover that "M Ovi" is at the root of the disease issue for bighorns.   New bighorns have been translocated into the Tucannon (a few from Asotin and some from MT) as well as Hall Mtn (from MT).  The "test and cull" for M Ovi shedders was born right here in our Asotin unit and seems to be working.   It's now being applied in Black Butte. 

I wrote the proposal for the Rocky raffle in 2004 and presented to the WDFW commission in April that year on behalf of WA WSF. It was approved and the first WA Rocky raffle occurred in 2005.   What spawned the idea for it for me was as I spent time in the SE herds filming and watching rams, I realized that within many of the herds an older, mature ram or two was present.  Because of the low overall numbers due to the 95-96 die-off, however, the individual herds did not meet meet the threshold to have a draw tag, collectively they did.  We know because of extensive telemetry data that movement exists.  Bighorns from the Wenaha can go the Mtn View or Tucannon and those in Mtn View can go to Asotin Ck or Black Butte, etc.  Obviously, Hall Mtn is isolated but including it as an open unit does give the raffle winner the option to hunt there or another open unit.  I do not recall what year 113 was added but since then only one of the raffle rams has come from up there.  Bios make recommendations each year on which units are added or subtracted in order to minimize any biological impact.  Of course the same tag system could be used for a "Rocky draw tag" instead of raffle but without the benefit of money raised specifically for our Rockys (gotta be pushing $2 million since its inception?).

One other interesting tid bit is the WA rocky raffle has only been won 4 or 5 times by the person that spent the most out of 13 years of the raffle.  I can actually only think of four but in my old age I might be forgetting one! The drawing is always drawn by WDFW at one of their offices in mid July.  We kinda have a long window to do the drawing and that's simply scheduling with WDFW. 

I hope that helps.  Let me know if you have other questions.  Now I need to order my tickets!  I'm waaaaaay over due!

Glen
Interesting and thank you for taking the time.  I have several questions about this tag/raffle.  You obviously have tremendous knowledge about sheep, especially this herd. I also appreciate all the work and awareness on M ovi you guys have done.  Interesting you wrote the proposal, do you also have a financial interest in this hunt? Or a more specific question, have you outfitted or guided many of the "winners" of this raffle?

Offline ramslam

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 07:39:59 PM »
My interest back then was how do we put together a plan to make some of these older rams available and generate revenue to help recover our rocky herds. Bighorns are spendy to manage! I drew the Mtn View permit in 1995, my first year ever applying. That winter was the catastrophic Hells Canyon die off so as my passion for bighorns was initiated with my own hunt, my passion for recovery of the populations is what followed. 

Interestingly, in the 11th hour WDFW tried to make it an auction tag.  Myself and many other WA WSF members lobbied to allow a $20 entry for all. Of course big raffle players have changed that game, but at least we have a chance right?   It’s definitely not perfect but I hope the revenue generated can help all of our rocky herds in the end.  WAWSF has marketed this tag on behalf of WDFW all but one year since 2005.

I think I’ve been a guide on three of the tags or so, but I’m guessing I’ve burned 20 times what I’ve made in gas since that initial die off in 1995. :-).  I recently completed a school research project with my students that included two tours at WSU and about 5 hours of meetings with Dr Tom Besser. That said,  Not gonna deny it, I love hunting sheep too!

Hopefully the conservation closure in Asotin will allow the rams to recover to allow it to be hunted soon, including a draw tag.  Wenaha is only open this year as next year it goes to Oregon since we share those sheep.  Tucannon and Black Butte are further away I think.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have other questions, I’ll do my best to share what I know for what it’s worth.

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 07:58:58 PM »
I have a couple questions. How are the Rocky populations doing? Any gain at all? Also how far off do you think a draw tag is?

Offline ramslam

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 08:03:48 PM »
I’ll see if I can round up some recent he’d counts.  I’m cautiously optimistic.

Asotin got hit hard by tribal harvest and some poaching that led to its closure.  There is now a conservation closure self-imposed by the NPT.  Those rams grow fast so hopefully another couple years? 

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 08:12:39 PM »
I’ll see if I can round up some recent he’d counts.  I’m cautiously optimistic.

Asotin got hit hard by tribal harvest and some poaching that led to its closure.  There is now a conservation closure self-imposed by the NPT.  Those rams grow fast so hopefully another couple years?
How many tags to tribes draw? Do they track harvest and populations?
@Igotbigbulls

Offline ramslam

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 08:26:19 PM »
Umatillas had one this past fall in Wenaha. The NPT does not issue tags or require harvest reporting. I think we all agree that makes management difficult,

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 08:47:41 PM »
My interest back then was how do we put together a plan to make some of these older rams available and generate revenue to help recover our rocky herds. Bighorns are spendy to manage! I drew the Mtn View permit in 1995, my first year ever applying. That winter was the catastrophic Hells Canyon die off so as my passion for bighorns was initiated with my own hunt, my passion for recovery of the populations is what followed. 

Interestingly, in the 11th hour WDFW tried to make it an auction tag.  Myself and many other WA WSF members lobbied to allow a $20 entry for all. Of course big raffle players have changed that game, but at least we have a chance right?   It’s definitely not perfect but I hope the revenue generated can help all of our rocky herds in the end.  WAWSF has marketed this tag on behalf of WDFW all but one year since 2005.

I think I’ve been a guide on three of the tags or so, but I’m guessing I’ve burned 20 times what I’ve made in gas since that initial die off in 1995. :-).  I recently completed a school research project with my students that included two tours at WSU and about 5 hours of meetings with Dr Tom Besser. That said,  Not gonna deny it, I love hunting sheep too!

Hopefully the conservation closure in Asotin will allow the rams to recover to allow it to be hunted soon, including a draw tag.  Wenaha is only open this year as next year it goes to Oregon since we share those sheep.  Tucannon and Black Butte are further away I think.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have other questions, I’ll do my best to share what I know for what it’s worth.
Very intriguing, after the catastrophic die off of 95-96 a Washington based NGO starts funneling significant funds into Mexico? Forgive my skepticism but your story is missing something or I am.  As for management being expensive, absolutely! That said the species direct funding is not necessarily the mechanism (raffle) but could lie in allocation of funds (wildlife fund vs species direct)  from the draw.  This could be a simple change.

Offline ramslam

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 08:58:58 PM »
Funneling to Mexico? The NGO (Wa WSF) has received 10-15% of the revenue per regulation, WDFW the balance. Could allocation by WDFW be more efficient? Ha, I would never argue that.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]