collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Moose units  (Read 8575 times)

Offline bornhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
Moose units
« on: May 12, 2018, 09:10:39 AM »
15 bull moose points. Hunt alone. Dont know NE very well. Have hunted WT once in unit 105. Any suggestions on best unit for access to moose areas? Any info on the parker lake ML unit. Have to apply soon. Any info appreciated.

Offline Eli346

• Eli
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Moose units
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 09:17:07 AM »
Bearpaw has some maps for sale that are cheap compared to the money you would be spending on gas for scouting. There's also a guy on here that posts every year volunteering to help and he seems to know what he's talking about. I don't think he charges. Either research on here and try to find the post or keep your eyes open as he seems to pop up with his posts every year.

Offline TomT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 10:19:57 AM »
 We hunted the Parker Lake unit for 11 days last October.   Saw grand total of two bulls and one cow.   We did fill the tag, but according to the statistics on WDFW we were the only ones of four tag holders to be successful. I don’t know what’s going on up there, but clearly the population is down.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 12:26:55 PM »
I drew the Mt. Spokane North antlerless tag in 2016.  I seen a cow and a calf on one of four scouting missions.  Hunted a total of 13 days and seen one small bull and the cow I killed. I wouldn't suggest that unit as there is no National Forest land.  Mostly walk in on state and timber lands or IEP which you need to buy a permit for.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline bornhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 01:07:54 PM »
Ok thanks everyone. I will keep my eyes open for that post. I will get back on here if I get selected.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 02:12:09 PM »
So when you are chasing the "bear" snoop around.

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 05:36:00 PM »
Not that I know anything about moose but it makes sense that in units they give out more tags there is probably more moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 07:41:22 PM »
Keep an eye out on the flooding. The entire Curlew area lowlands is just about ready to put in ferry service, it's bad.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 08:06:01 PM »
Not that I know anything about moose but it makes sense that in units they give out more tags there is probably more moose.

come on, you think that’s really the case lol

Offline bornhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 09:38:00 PM »
So when you are chasing the "bear" snoop around.

Leaving Wednesday. Will stay till saturday then home. Then leave on the 21st hopefully staying till the end of the month.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 09:58:10 PM »
We hunted the Parker Lake unit for 11 days last October.   Saw grand total of two bulls and one cow.   We did fill the tag, but according to the statistics on WDFW we were the only ones of four tag holders to be successful. I don’t know what’s going on up there, but clearly the population is down.

Sadly your story is typical of what is going on with our moose. I've been raving for several years now how the moose are disappearing. I know some hunters are hunting almost every day of the season to fill their tag. I've discussed this with other knowledgeable local hunters, including friends who used to shed hunt primarily for moose sheds, they have mostly quit focusing on moose sheds because there are so few to be found now. I would say moose are maybe 30% of the population we had 5 to 10 years ago.

I hunted an area last fall for moose with a hunter that in past years I would average seeing 5 to 10 bulls a day. last fall we hunted 7 days and you can count the bulls we saw on one hand.  :bash:

TICKS & WOLVES
Some people will try to blame it all on ticks but that doesn't explain the moose hair in the wolf turds and the fact that there are very few moose calves and mostly adult moose which are harder for wolves to kill? Most moose units have been hit by both ticks and wolves. This is nothing new, all the other states with wolves had their moose disappear when wolves multiplied. Now that Idaho is killing wolves for several years now we are actually seeing more moose again in several units, killing wolves is helping moose recover in Idaho.

But, don't hold your breath for WA to manage wolves! I expect WA moose to get fewer in numbers every year as wolves climb in numbers! Moose are almost non-existent in Yellowstone today!

ELK & DEER
Elk are still increasing in most areas of NE WA, I don't think the wolves are impacting elk nearly as bad as the moose, we are still seeing as many or more elk every year in most areas. Whitetail are rebounding from the blue tongue and bad winter too, better in some areas than others, especially increasing around private land. Mule Deer just keep disappearing, cougar focus on mule deer and there are simply way too many cats plus wolves now!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 10:11:06 PM by bearpaw »
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 10:04:32 PM »
Stay away from hangman, that unit fell off the cliff too.  WA moose is definitely in decline I’m afraid.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 10:07:35 PM »

Your story is typical of what is going on with our moose. I've been raving for several years now how the moose are disappearing. I know some hunters are hunting almost every day of the season to fill their tag. I've discussed this with other knowledgeable local hunters, including friends who used to shed hunt primarily for moose sheds, they have mostly quit focusing on moose sheds because there are so few to be found now. I would say moose are maybe 30% of the population we had 5 to 10 years ago.

TICKS & WOLVES
Some people will try to blame it all on ticks but that doesn't explain the moose hair in the wolf turds and the fact that there are very few moose calves? Most moose units have been hit by both ticks and wolves. This is nothing new, all the other states with wolves had their moose disappear when wolves multiplied. Now that Idaho is killing wolves for several years now we are actually seeing more moose again, it's making a difference.

But, don't hold your breath for WA to manage wolves! I expect WA moose to get fewer in numbers every year as wolves climb in numbers!

Total B.S. Something needs to be done about the leftist WDFW. Why can't hunting groups file lawsuits against them and the conservation groups, or has it been done ?
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 10:08:07 PM »
Keep an eye out on the flooding. The entire Curlew area lowlands is just about ready to put in ferry service, it's bad.

Don't get east side news on the west side whats going on around Curlew/Republic?? And yes Moose sign has been down from what I have seen.
IAFF #3728

Offline bornhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 07:24:58 AM »
Any reason why the problem can be taken care of without the state's help?

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal