collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Moose units  (Read 8581 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Moose units
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2018, 10:08:11 PM »
@bearpaw

I'm more interested in iversalt now instead of darting moose, just put out a salt lick laced with ivomec.  The Russian's are testing it with good results. 

Abstract
As test objects served elks and dappled deer infested with helminths. The purpose of this work is to study the efficacy of a new antiparasitic drug «Ivirsalt» used for prevention of helminth infection in wild hoofed animals. The therapeutic efficacy of new anthelmintic drug «Ivirsalt» for nematodosis of wild hoofed animals was tested on 120 dappled deer, 7 elks and 1 roe deeron the territory of Losiny Ostrov National Park (Elk Island), Moscow. «Ivirsalt» is provided in form of salt lick briquettes with a mass of 5 kg containing the active ingredient ivermectin and sodium chloride in the proportion 0, 1: 99, and 9. We put salt lick briquettes to the feed-troughs on feeding places and saline soils based on the average daily salt consumption. The preparation was given within 14 days taking into account that animals approach salt lick briquettes not less than once a week. To determine the efficacy of preparation by the method of coproscopy the fecal samples were collected before and every 10 days after distribution of salt lick briquettes. Materials and methods: Standard lifetime and post-mortem helminthological examinations of animals (coproovoscopy, K.I. Skryabin method of full postmortem helminthological examination, 1928). The research results showed that the intensity of gastrointestinal nematode infestations of dappled deer aged 1,5 to 3 years has decreased by 5,4 times, in deer older than 3 years-by 3,1 times.

Use of Salt lick Briquettes «Ivirsalt» on... (PDF Download Available). Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/304809183_Use_of_Salt_lick_Briquettes_Ivirsalt_on_Natural_Areas_of_Preferential_Protection_in_Russia_for_the_Prevention_of_Parasitic_Diseases_in_Wild_Hoofed_Animals [accessed May 21 2018].

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2018, 10:20:24 PM »
from New Hampshire fish and wildlife
https://wildlife.state.nh.us/wildlife/moose/index.html

The best ways to reduce the impacts of winter ticks would be to add back the three weeks of winter we have lost due to climate change, or reduce moose density. That said, we don’t know, given the current weather parameters, what moose density may be most effective for balancing the reduction of tick impacts, while maintaining a viable moose population. Barring the longer winters or fewer moose scenarios, there is no viable way to reduce ticks on the landscape. Many people have written in suggesting we:

put tick collars on moose;
hunt the animals with paintballs filled with insecticide;
put up cattle rollers that would automatically apply insecticide to moose that walked under them;
place insecticide-laced salt licks out for moose;
spray the woods to eliminate ticks;
burn the woods to eliminate ticks; or
release robots that would apply insecticide to the ground;
stock guinea fowl to eat the ticks.

Let’s address these suggestions individually:

Ivermectin, when ingested in the proper dose, does eliminate ticks from moose. Getting the right dose into the moose on a monthly basis is the problem. This has been used with some success in Texas on deer using corn as bait, but they are now finding that the ticks of concern are developing immunity to both ingested and applied acaricides.  In addition, the time of year when ticks are infesting moose is the time of year when moose are least likely to come to any bait.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2018, 10:36:09 PM »
Wolves haven't got them all yet  :tup:

Here's a big old pregger cow I came across today, she was bagged up and had a droopy vulva, so she's ready to drop soon.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2018, 08:22:28 PM »
I really want to see our Moose population keep going. I'm finally putting in for some of the tags lol! If they need volunteers for darting the moose. They could just post it up like they did for the counting elk with hoof rot. Only difference would be to train the people to use dart guns, which wouldn't be hard, or if they went the salt lick route I'm sure a LOT of us hunters wouldn't mind placing the licks and putting cams up so we could verify the licks being used by the moose on a regular basis.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2018, 06:02:09 AM »
Thanks for the info KF, the iversalt sounds interesting, but the way it sounds Ivermectin has to be given in repeated doses in the proper quantity to be effective, that sort of shoots that option out the window if the moose need it mostly in the winter.

We have found two dead moose this spring so far, wasn't sure what killed them, most likely ticks or wolves.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2018, 06:22:08 AM »
Good info here!  :tup:

One thing to keep in mind: over in euroland, elk are what we call moose.
Some folks don't know that.
It's an interesting story as to why we call them moose but that's for another thread.
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2018, 06:22:15 AM »

Here's a big old pregger cow I came across today, she was bagged up and had a droopy vulva, so she's ready to drop soon.
Is it just me or does she look horrible?
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2018, 05:47:07 PM »

Is it just me or does she look horrible?
Ribs showing and hair loss on front quarters. That's what she looks like to me. Lets hope he has that baby and recovers back to being fat and happy.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2018, 07:31:13 PM »
She didn't look to bad for just coming out of winter in the wolf epicenter of WA, she blew her winter coat and she was an older cow, but all in all didn't look to bad.   The bino's showed a lot more than the crappy cell picture.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2018, 08:39:14 PM »
She didn't look to bad for just coming out of winter in the wolf epicenter of WA, she blew her winter coat and she was an older cow, but all in all didn't look to bad.   The bino's showed a lot more than the crappy cell picture.
I believe you. As I said though, lets hope she drops a good healthy calf and fattens herself and that baby up for future generations!

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Scout
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2018, 10:43:49 PM »
“The ticks were here first”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal